Question about MSM and New Growth

scorpio

To all Ladies who use MSM, can you guys help me out with something?

I have been taking MSM for about 1 month now and am 5 weeks post-relaxer. I usually have quite a bit of noticeable ng around 4 weeks, especially since I take biotin. But I had been noticing that I had less detectable ng after taking the MSM, but I was thinking maybe it was just in my mind. My ng is usually very thick, tightly coiled and real hard to comb.

Well, I went to the salon on Saturday and my hairdresser was inspecting my hair as she usually does and she said that I didn't have enough ng to be at 5 weeks and that I looked like I was right around 4 possibly, so that confirmed my suscipion. Ok, so either the MSM has slowed down my growth rate or it has changed my texture a little.

I mean, right near my scalp, the ng is definitely tighter, but it really doesn't look like I have much going on. The part that bothers me is when I go in for my next relaxer (2 weeks from now), I am wondering if I will be underprocessed because the MSM may give the illusion of having less ng than I really have. What do you guys think and can you share your experiences with me? I really needed something that would help me stretch my relaxers, but without the MSM, at least I could tell what was going on with my growth.

Thanks in advance ladies for all your help.

janeemat

scorpio said:
To all Ladies who use MSM, can you guys help me out with something?

I have been taking MSM for about 1 month now and am 5 weeks post-relaxer. I usually have quite a bit of noticeable ng around 4 weeks, especially since I take biotin. But I had been noticing that I had less detectable ng after taking the MSM, but I was thinking maybe it was just in my mind. My ng is usually very thick, tightly coiled and real hard to comb.

Well, I went to the salon on Saturday and my hairdresser was inspecting my hair as she usually does and she said that I didn't have enough ng to be at 5 weeks and that I looked like I was right around 4 possibly, so that confirmed my suscipion. Ok, so either the MSM has slowed down my growth rate or it has changed my texture a little.

I mean, right near my scalp, the ng is definitely tighter, but it really doesn't look like I have much going on. The part that bothers me is when I go in for my next relaxer (2 weeks from now), I am wondering if I will be underprocessed because the MSM may give the illusion of having less ng than I really have. What do you guys think and can you share your experiences with me? I really needed something that would help me stretch my relaxers, but without the MSM, at least I could tell what was going on with my growth.

Thanks in advance ladies for all your help.

MSM softens/changes to the texture of ng. That's one reason lot's of the ladies use it, because it is ideal for helping to stretch relaxers. I'm not sure it does much on the growth side but it does play a vital role in the overall health of the hair. Have you thought about stretching? I use to get relaxers 5/6 wks, but now I can stretch to 12wks easily. It requires a lot of attention, but it's well worth it. In the end my hair is thicker and you will be surprised by the length you achieve after a stretch. I'm right at 11 wks now.

HoneyDew

I think that MSM has helped me stretch as well. I could never get past week 5. Now I am slipping on week to week so easily. Everytime I wash my hair and see how easy it is to manage my NG I am like :eek:

scorpio

Thanks ladies...Does the MSM give just soften the new growth or does it actually change the texture (I guess this is the same thing)? I was using it just to try and stretch b/t relaxers, but I am wondering if I will have a problem with being under-processed because I won't be able to tell how much ng I actually have. Does this make any sense?

gymfreak336

scorpio said:
Thanks ladies...Does the MSM give just soften the new growth or does it actually change the texture (I guess this is the same thing)? I was using it just to try and stretch b/t relaxers, but I am wondering if I will have a problem with being under-processed because I won't be able to tell how much ng I actually have. Does this make any sense?

I think it does a little of both. I have very tight newgrowth and when I take MSM (like I should:look: ) my newgrowth is softer and the texture is looser. As far as trying to tell how much newgrowth you have look closely when you wash it. The relaxed hair should still look different on your strands than the new growth. Even if msm helps loosen your curl pattern, when its wet you should get better definition.