Question about my reaction to a natural in my city...

aquajoyice

A quick story: I was at a stop light and noticed an AA woman crossing the street with a TWA. This woman was working it and held her head high. I was shocked to see a natural in my city becuase 1st u rarely see AA people and 2nd they typically don't wear naturals out here. I looked around to see other people's reaction and realized there was a AA girl and guy sitting in the car next to me. The girl had micro braids in her hair and she was smiling at the lady... but everyone other car was non-black and their jaws hit the floor. It was the oddest thing i'd ever witnessed. And it made me realize how people react to natural AA hair. So me being me I filled up with admiration for this woman began honking my horn and whistling at her! I know i'm crazy ya'll LOL! I gave her compliments and threw up the peace sign. I wanted to do something to show encouragement. Because you could feel the people judging her.... it was really really odd. But she smiled and strutted her stuff even more!! I loved it!!
My question is after being enlightened on hair... do you find yourself being more supportive, less supportive of people and their hair status? Whether it be their beautifully natural, terribly damaged...etc?

discobiscuits

i'm more supportive of naturals even the ones that look like they are having a hard go at it. after enduring all the slurs, and 'you need to throw a relaxer in that mess' type comments and reactions, i feel our collective pain.

Taina

For me is the same if a person have natural or relaxed hair. If they have beautiful hair i compliment them, and they could be AA, Asian, hispanic... is the same. Beautiful hair is like a very important point of observation to me xD