Question about protein treatment and natural hair

Mommynikki772

How often can someone do a protein treatment on natural hair? My MIL is completly natural and wanted to start a protein regimen how often can she do a protein treatment and when should she try one?

AmyRose92

I think it all depends on the personal needs of that person's hair. Some naturals (who tend to have fine instead of coarse hair) might need a protein treatment every week or every two weeks. Others with a coarse texture might opt for once a month. You should always try and see what works for your hair. :yep:

Nasdaq_Diva

I do a hard protein (aphoghee) 2x a year. I may bump it up to 3x I"m not sure. Everyone doesn't need super heavy proteins. Some get their protein from light proteins (shampoos/conditioners/leave-ins/etc

ms.blue

I normally do a lite protein treatment every week b/c I use heat but now I haven't needed to do one b/c I haven't used heat two weeks. It also goes by styling choices generally if using heat then a protein treatment (lite/medium) should be done if not, once a month should be done.

Nayna

Unbothered
I try to stay consistent and add a light protein every week and a heavy every 6-7 weeks or so. Try being the key word.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I think it depends. My hair and hard protein is like anyone vs. Mike Tyson (in his ear-biting days). Just doesn't end well.

ThursdayGirl

I agree with the ladies above. It just depends. I tend to do something like aphogee 2 step every 3 months and I do some light protein every time I wash. I have very fine strands, but have a high density of them.

Mimi22

I do a light protein treatment every 3-4 weeks. My hair goes hard if I use too much protein. I use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor or Joico reconstructive treatment

I'm natural as well (have been for a little over 4 years now) and I only do a protein treatment as needed. My hair is very thick and medium-coarse in texture and I find that doing a protein treatment too often makes my hair very hard to the touch. I honestly think that it depends on individual hair type and needs.