Question about twists for twist-outs

GodMadeMePretty

Last night, I flat-twisted my hair for the first time for a twist-out. Normally I do a braid-out, but I wanted to try it out. My question is what do you use to keep the twist tight? My twists went from hairline to the nape of my neck and when I twisted the length past the nape and secured it with a plastic barrette, the twists got bigger and hence poofier and frizzy when I removed them this morning. I put them all in a ponytail after I finished and the ends were still secured. The flat twist looks REALLY cute, but the ends, because they basically untwisted, are frizzy.

I made my hair damp with a mixture of Suave coconut conditioner and water spray and then I put unrefined coconut oil on before I twisted. Is it that I need to put some kind setting lotion/gel on the length? I have some lock and twist gel that I haven't used yet. Will that help to set the ends of the twists?

Please help. I want them to stay TIGHT like the flat twists. How do I make them stay without flattening them.

TIA!

Last edited:

amy1234

you could try rolling the ends of your twists on perm rods..this way your twists will not unravel and you'll also have a nice curl on the ends when you take them out.

KAddy

I agree with curlybun. You can also try using sponge rollers with end papers on them OR a tip I learned from Kombov_Dymond was bantu knot the ends. That works the best out of all three for me. She has pics in her album.

MeccaMedinah

curlybun said:
you could try rolling the ends of your twists on perm rods..this way your twists will not unravel and you'll also have a nice curl on the ends when you take them out.
I agree. That's how I do my twist outs.

GodMadeMePretty

Thank you, ladies. It's so funny - while I think it looks a hot mess on the ends, a co-worker (male) just told me that he likes my hair.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
I did some last minute flat twists and just twirl them like something between a bantu knot and pin-curl then clip with rollerset clips. This worked great, first time I'd ever done it!

~op~

sengschick

The Bun Master
Another chiming in for perm rods (w/papers). But the length is still looser than the rest of the twist, but it works. I think it's better when the hair is really damp or wet anyway. The drier it is the harder it is to get definition throughout the length.

KAddy

sengschick said:
I think it's better when the hair is really damp or wet anyway. The drier it is the harder it is to get definition throughout the length.
I found that the opposite works best for me. Also though, the fewer twists I do the better definition I get as well.

sengschick

The Bun Master
KAddy said:
I found that the opposite works best for me. Also though, the fewer twists I do the better definition I get as well.
I'm sure it's this multi-textured texturized hair that I have. :ohwell:

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Question..I've been thinking of trying a twistout so I don't have to wear a hat everyday.. well, I don't HAVE to..but..lol anyway, my hair is only maybe 3.5-4 inches long when stretched.. is that long enough??

kombov_dymond

If you can twist your hair, twist away. If you can't do flat twists(like cornrows), just twist it and roll it.

Let us know how it turns out.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Cool..I'm gonna try it..hopefully sometime this week.. I don't know how to flat twist.. hell, I don't even know how to braid...lol :lol:

MeccaMedinah

RushGirl said:
Cool..I'm gonna try it..hopefully sometime this week.. I don't know how to flat twist.. hell, I don't even know how to braid...lol :lol:
I can't really braid either or flat twist for that matter. BUT, I can twist. And I don't have more than 4 inches of hair either.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
sengschick said:
I'm sure it's this multi-textured texturized hair that I have. :ohwell:
it must be, because im tex-laxed and my hair has better definition when wet and using perm rods.

MeechUK

MeechUK
GodMadeMePretty,
have you thought about straw sets! I think that loose the hair has that "wild and sexy look", you may not like it but I think it looks good. With straw sets you can get a more defined corkscrew twist but as the days wear on it will become looser and puffier. Since most gels/setting lotions contain some form of alcohol which is very drying to our hair you could try boiling linseed instead. The recipe can be found on the Motown Girl website, it is a more gentler holding gel which will keep the straw set curl more defined even as it gets looser!

MeechUK

sengschick

The Bun Master
MeechUK said:
GodMadeMePretty,
have you thought about straw sets! I think that loose the hair has that "wild and sexy look", you may not like it but I think it looks good. With straw sets you can get a more defined corkscrew twist but as the days wear on it will become looser and puffier. Since most gels/setting lotions contain some form of alcohol which is very drying to our hair you could try boiling linseed instead. The recipe can be found on the Motown Girl website, it is a more gentler holding gel which will keep the straw set curl more defined even as it gets looser!

MeechUK
Do you do your own? How long does it take you, if so? I think my arms would fall off! :lol:

Isis

GodMadeMePretty said:
Thank you, ladies. It's so funny - while I think it looks a hot mess on the ends, a co-worker (male) just told me that he likes my hair.
Don't you love it when that happens?!!:)