Question for relaxed/texturized ladies

VinDieselsWifey

i'm natural, but i may consider texturizing in a few years.

how do you keep from over/underprocessing hair that has been previously relaxed/texturized?

do you put conditioner on your hair first?

just wondering because it seems like when you rinse it out, you would be overprocessing the rest of your hair

thanks

Trini"T"

I'm relaxed. To keep from overprocessing my previously relaxed hair I put conditioner on it like you said:) However, I don't think just washing out the relaxer could overprocess the previously relaxed hair...the relaxer doesn't stay on it long enough.

dlewis

I apply oil to most of my hair, but with texturizing I only leave the relaxer on, for about 5 min.

Isis

how do you keep from over/underprocessing hair that has been previously relaxed/texturized?

I relax my newgrowth for 10 minutes to texturize. I can clearly see and feel the difference between my coarse new growth and the rest of my hair. I've been doing this for many years now so I have a feel for it. I relax my newgrowth in sections, not all at once so I have more time to work with my whole head.

do you put conditioner on your hair first?

No conditioner. I saturate my strands and ends with oils such as olive oil. Grease and oil repels the relaxer chemicals, that's why the instructions say to put Vaseline on the ears, around the hairline and any exposed skin where relaxer can touch (and why we base our scalps before getting started). I do this just in case some relaxer happens to land on my already relaxed hair. This way I can quickly wipe it off and not worry.

just wondering because it seems like when you rinse it out, you would be overprocessing the rest of your hair

When I rinse the first section, the oils on my hair prevents the chemicals from doing anything and it's quickly rinsed away anyway. There's no time for the relaxer to do anything.