Question for self relaxers...

T

Tee

Where do you rinse out the relaxer? And how do you wash out the relaxer? With your head bent over a sink? Do you have someone else help you? Or do you rinse in the shower?

NAY007

when i used to relax, i would always bend over the tub and wash everything out with my showerhead (removable). i always wash my hair like that too.

whitelily626

I don't have anyone to help me, so I rinse with my head bent over the sink. I rinse really well, apply Affirm 5 n 1 Reconstructer, wash with Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo, final wash with Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo, and condition.

I don't think I would ever rinse in the shower because I don't want relaxer getting on my skin. It also leaves a film on the bath tub and makes it very slippery.

localhost

I rinse out my relaxer in the shower and my fiancée helps me. My showerhead gives good water pressure and coverage, plus it's more convenient for me.

I haven't burned my skin with the relaxer, but it has made the tub slippery

NAY007

well when i say i rinse it bending over the tub i mean i stand outside of the tub with my clothes on or whatever then i bend over and the water is only running over my head, my head is hanging down. i always rinse the tub afterwards though cause it can get slippery:)

whitelily626

Hi Nay007,

I knew exactly what you were saying. I have rinsed over the tub many times(head under the spout). That's how I know how slippery the tub can get if you don't rinse well. I have learned the hard way to take the mat out of the tub first and clean it well afterwards. It would be so much easier with a removable showerhead. I will have to look into purchasing one.

Stormy

Yes SweetPea your hair is gorgeous!

I rinse my relaxers out in my kitchen sink. About a hundred times! lol! Just kidding, I do rinse for a loooong time though.

I used to rinse in the shower years ago until my cousin who's a hairstylist scolded me. She said never to do this because the chemicals can get caught in some unwanted places. Know what I mean?

dahllia

Wow, I just learned something new. I have always rinsed my relaxer out in the in the kitchen sink, then I read somewhere that you should always wash and rinse your hair going back. While I do this in the shower, I just figured well why dont I rinse my relaxer out in the shower too (that's if I go back to relaxing) But now after reading all this, I will stay with the sink method. I dont want to fall and bust my a** on a slippery floor and I sure dont want relaxer in any "unwanted places" lol. Thanx Stormy!

Shree

SWEATPEE!!!! I just love you hair.....whats your hair type and you regime.....I think I spelled that right*lol*.....you are truely a hair Queen...I wish I had your hair....but anyways my mom washes mine out in the sink

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
I used to rinse in the shower years ago until my cousin who's a hairstylist scolded me. She said never to do this because the chemicals can get caught in some unwanted places. Know what I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]
Places like....

Just kiddin! That's a great tip Stormy!

Stormy

DSD you know...(sounding like a little kid and pointing...)
down there!

She went on and on about bumps, infections, all kinds of things. I had to stop her and say "ALRIGHT ALREADY! I WON'T DO IT ANYMORE!" Geeze!

localhost

Thanks for the compliment, Stormy

[ QUOTE ]
down there!

She went on and on about bumps, infections, all kinds of things. I had to stop her and say "ALRIGHT ALREADY! I WON'T DO IT ANYMORE!" Geeze!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunately, I haven't experienced any of these problems (Thank the Lord!) I'm extra careful about what's going where, and I've strategically positioned the showerhead at such an angle so that the relaxer doesn't cascade down my body. I've thought long and hard about the pros and cons of using the shower...but the water pressure in my kitchen sink sux! I've thought about a removable shower head, but I'm too tired to install one!

As far as slipping is concerned, my tub isn't porcelain. It's different kind of material that's supposed to reduce buildup, but it's still slippery. My fiancee helps me out of the shower as if I'm an old lady

For those of you who use the sink...I'm assuming you don't wash your hair w/ your head facing up at the ceiling, right? If you do it face-down, do you have any issues w/ the relaxer burning your face? That's my BIGGEST fear.... and I think my head's too big to fit under the faucet properly

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
down there!

[/ QUOTE ]
I could laugh about that one all night!

localhost

[ QUOTE ]
SWEATPEE!!!! I just love you hair.....whats your hair type and you regime.....I think I spelled that right*lol*.....you are truely a hair Queen...I wish I had your hair....but anyways my mom washes mine out in the sink

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, thanks Shree
. My hair type is 4a/4b, mostly 4b with 4a in the kitchen area, and I've been on this journey since Nov '02.

I keep my regimen very simple...I wash and deep condition once per week, hot six oil for deep conditioning, cream of nature shampoo, and pantene smooth and sleek conditioner.

I use soft sheen curl activator and I wear my hair in a sock bun ALL OF THE TIME. I am sooo sick
of this bun! But it seems to be producing results I'm seeking.

I relax every 10-12 weeks with Revlon Realistic Lye in regular strength, and I follow up with cholestrol, motions cpr, and pantene smooth and sleek conditioner. I straighten my hair following the relaxer with a ceramic curling iron to seal the cuticle, and two days later, I wash and condition it and throw it back up in a bun for the following 12 weeks!

I take a variety of vitamins. Lately, I've been somewhat obsessed with the effects that vitamins have on the hair, skin and nails. I have everything from beta carotene to saw palmetto, to garlic, to flaxseed. On a daily basis, I take 2 GNC women's ultra mega, 3 mg biotin, primrose oil, 2 *silica* - my favorite, grapeseed extract, and coral calcium.

Thought this was simple! I'm so used to my routine that it comes second-nature to me. In writing, it looks kinda long, but it really isn't.

OH! Most importantly, I have a hair journal that I write in on a regular basis b/c I like to have something in writing to fall back on if I get off track or something.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
OH! Most importantly, I have a hair journal that I write in on a regular basis b/c I like to have something in writing to fall back on if I get off track or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Glad you said this SweetPea. I will be starting my hair journal sometime in August. It is a great idea!

Tgirl

I rinse my relaxer in the tub. I wash the tub afterwards. The water pressure in the tub is good and I rinse a long time.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
[ QUOTE ]
I rinse in the shower, with my back facing the water stream, head tilted back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]

I rinse my relaxers out in my kitchen sink. About a hundred times! lol! Just kidding, I do rinse for a loooong time though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing!