Question for texturized ladies

daviine

I imagine that there is a fine line between texturized hair and underprocessed hair. Am I right in assuming so?

Anyways, my question is how do you texturize your hair...is the strength and/or brand of the relaxer OR is it the length of time the relaxer is left in? Do you still smooth relaxer in your hair or just let it sit.

Do you do your hair yourself or do you have a stylist do it? If the stylist does it, how do you communitcate this texturized preference to the stylist?

What are the advantages and disadvantages to being texturized (as opposed to being fully relaxed)?

I know I asked a lot of questions. Thanks in advance.

Ennyaa

Hey girl... Again. lol

You're right it is a fine line but I'm realizing now that my hair is just BARELY texturized. In fact I'm really thinking about just going natural cuz my hair is 4a and the difference hasn't been much at all. So if I can handle the texturized I guess I can handle the natural.

I get mine done by a stylist every 3 months. For me the way it was done was to use Affirm Mild. It was left in for a very short period of time and really not smoothed at all. I would never try to do it myself cuz I'm just not that brave. I think the way it comes out all depends on the stylist. I told mine I just wanted to loosen my natural curl a little so basically that's what she did I guess. For me I love the versatility. If I want it straight I just flatiron it. (yay Jilbere!) But if not I just wet it and let it curl/wave up with moisturizer and rod the ends. Actually it's been kind of frustrating me because my ends are still relaxed (though even that seems to be wearing off somehow, lol) and often it winds up being kind of frizzy. But occasionally I'll hit on that right combo of products and it will come out great. Most days I wear my hair in a big ole curly fuzzy bush and I think it's really cute. (My fiance calls me Sideshow Bob though
)
I have to say that I can definitely see a difference in the part of my hair that is fully relaxed and the part that is texturized. The texturized hair just seems more "alive". Does that make any sense?
Even when I flatiron or when it's soaking wet and I comb it, the relaxed ends still get tangled more than the natural/texturized part and it seems duller. And we're not even gonna talk about how full my hair seems.

Well that's my long ramble.

kim

I just recently texturized my hair using Affirm Fibergurad. I done it myself because when I was relaxed I done my own. I went natural for awhile(almost 2 years). I wanted a change so I texturized. I am enjoying it so far!! Anyway, to texturize I used a mild strength, I did not smooth it after I put it in. I only left it in for 5 minutes.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I imagine that there is a fine line between texturized hair and underprocessed hair. Am I right in assuming so? I consider them to be the same.

Anyways, my question is how do you texturize your hair...is the strength and/or brand of the relaxer OR is it the length of time the relaxer is left in? Do you still smooth relaxer in your hair or just let it sit. I use Revlon Realistic lye, Regular strength. Application time is 5 minutes and I leave it on for 15 minutes after that. I smooth.

Do you do your hair yourself or do you have a stylist do it? If the stylist does it, how do you communitcate this texturized preference to the stylist? I do it myself. I don't trust stylists.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to being texturized (as opposed to being fully relaxed)?
Advantages:
1. Hair has more body.
2. Can wear curly without doing a braid-out or twist-out. You get TRUE curls.
3. Wash n' go hair with less shrinkage than when natural.
4. Hair is healthier.

Disadvantages:

1. Relaxing is trickier, but it's worth it.

Crysdon

I second everything curlycurly said, except I use Motions Oil in mild and I leave it on for 10 minutes (including application) total.