Question from Newbie :)

deelite

Hello & Good night ladies! :wave:
I haven't been on this site in sooooo long unfortunately :nono: and i'm making changes in all areas of my life, my hair included because its TIME :yep:

For about 2 years, I've treated my natural hair to deep conditioners, cowashes everyday (cuz my curls turn to a giant mat if not....looks like a young bear cub sitting on my scalp :ohwell: ) so i would need to wash it to get the springy curls, also i would use IC gel (blue one) on my hair everyday and do a puff

in those 2 years my hair REMAINED unhealthy :sad:

Everytime i would cut my hair, it seemed like the next day I would STILL find splits and everytime (which would be once in a blue moon) i would press my hair, it would frizz out in a matter of minutes! (no joke there) ... its been so upsetting ...

it seems like i always cut my hair but the health never kicks in and ive BEEN trying alllll sorts of products (i think my mom thinks im addicted to hair care lol) and it seems like nothing is working really :ohwell:

I'm trying to come up with a regimen so i would like anyonee'sss help please ... i recently got my hair cut and enough was removed that the back of my hair seems a lot more healthier and appears more full (i say appears because the lady gave me more of a layered cut for fullness since WHATEVER i do, my hair never seems to grow full like it used to when i was younger :( )

any suggestions would be greatllyyyy appreciated and thanks so much in advance! :)

also, my hair has alwaysss been crazy soft so I don't know if the split are because of maybe not enough protein? cuz I feel like the cowashes I would do SHOULD be giving my hair enough moisture, if not too much moisture lol

oh! and since my hair seems to like to revert back and frizz after 2 secs of flat ironing, is this "Sabino Moisture Block" product i've seen on here probably the best way for me to go?

sorry for the long first post lol but i greatllyyy appreciate anyone's help!

lol oh okay ... thanks for the welcome :)

and btw hairdrama, ur hair is BEAUTIFUL ... by God's grace, my hair will be healthy like that soon :)

...well not soon like a WHILE cuz ur hair is soooo long lolll and i just cut mine to like the bottom of my ears/mid neck :/

lol oh okay ... thanks for the welcome :)

and btw hairdrama, ur hair is BEAUTIFUL ... by God's grace, my hair will be healthy like that soon :)

...well not soon like a WHILE cuz ur hair is soooo long lolll and i just cut mine to like the bottom of my ears/mid neck :/

Aw! thanks, I wish I could give you some tips, but I know nothing about natural hair..........:ohwell:

Welcome back!

I think the main reason you were finding splits and having to cut was because you were wearing a puff every single day. Letting your hair shrink up every day is just a bad idea for most naturals.

Now I don't know what you use to cowash and dc but if your hair was mushy because of so much moisture, then I'm sure that has not helped. I think that if you balance out your regimen with less cowashing and more protective styling, you'll be able to see better health and retention.

ohhh! okay ...
are there any staple products that seem to have a universal positivity or mostly liked by all?

i want to start off right, so i want to get the right stuff ... i purchased drc a whileeeee back so i figured i'd start using that this week with a deep conditioner to start that whole moisture/protein balance

thanks so much for the help! :)

Hi Deelite Sorry for the late reply...:)

I was reading through your post and you have the concept of Deep Conditioning and Co-washing, but 2 main things I did not notice were Protective Styling & Using a leave in (keeping the hair moisturized).
What is working for me now is really understanding what my hair needs--following the moisture/protein balance and also protecting my hair (ends especially) from harsh enviroments.
I feel you can start with a good leave in to keep your hair moisturized and supple even after your co-washes--I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk for co-washing and leave a little bit in and seal with Coconut oil. ---I leaves my hair moist and supple.:) I'm no expert in hair but this is what is working for me so far. :)

I know you will find the solution to your problems and start the wonderful journey of growing Healthy Long Hair!!!
HHG!!! :)

thanks so much everyone! :)

and Bettina, thanks for the advice! it jus seems with me that a lot of products that i've tried just "sit" on my head and never absorbs ... it's as if my hair "doesn't take"? I don't know WHAT thats about lol ... but I'm going to try what you advise :)

Deelite,
for the products that just tend to "sit" on your hair...have you tried maybe using a shampoo to get rid of any build up? That used to happen to me when I used alot of other leave ins and they werent "working" like they should---I purchased some Creamy Aloe Shampoo (Organic Root Stimulator) and used a small amount, it ate through that gunk and my conditioners and moisturizers have new life! ...now I don't shampoo very often because I avoid products that leave build up on my hair---but YES! this worked for me very nicely. Hope this helps :)

actually my mom did buy some a while ago lol

but im guessing you're saying I should use a clarifying shampoo instead of regular right?

i just assumed that the reason some products would just "sit" on my head was because either your hair likes something or it doesnt :ohwell:

:welcome4:

I agree with Bettina, it sounds like you need to clarify. You may have too much product build-up.

welcome!!!

i agree with the suggestions already given. deep conditioning, protective styling, having a good leavin are good ways to protect the hair.

i dont know if its been addressed already, but remember to sleep with your hair protected. (i baggy my hair with a light conditioner and oil every night and cover my bag with either a satin scarf or satin bonnet). Also, an ayuvedic approach has helped me out with my natural hair. Once all of the damaged hair has been cut out, maybe doing a avocado hair mask bi-weekly or once a month might help with the health as well.

Also, you have to remember to take care of yourself, and not just your hair. I know that when i'm super stressed, I can feel it in my hair... Also, drinking plenty of water, eating a balanced diet, taking your vitamins, and exercising are ways to help your hair grow stronger and healthier from the inside out.

thanks yet again ladies :)

i try to exercise 5 times out the week as well as drink about 64 oz of water daily (but ive been slacking these past two weeks on both :nono: lol)

ill try taking some vitamins since I just found out i'm anemic [but im on a iron based medication for it] but honestly i've been kind of scared of taking too many because i read the labels on these vitamins and see like 300-500% of daily intake :shocked: even more sometimes too! I get scared since too much of anything is no good and especiallyyyy the fat-soluable vitamins ... i just figured since I eat, i should in essence be getting everything i should, but maybe not so any recommendations on what multivitamin i should start with? HSN from GNC?

Back