QUESTION ON SEW IN PROS/CONS

NYLERAC

I AM TRYING TO GROW MY HAIR AND JUST DECIDED TO GIVE IT A REST BY WEARING A SEW IN. A CO WORKER GAVE SOME SHOCKING INFO TODAY OF THIS BREAKING HER HAIR AND SPLITTING HER ENDS. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN OUR REGIMES IS THE CO WORKER IS RELAXED AND I AM NATURAL. CAN I GET SOME INPUT FROM MY LCHF SISTERS..

* ARE YOU NATURAL / RELAXED?
* WHAT ARE YOUR PROS/ CONS OF WEARING THE SEW IN?
* HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP YOUR SEW IN IN PLACE - HOW MANY WEEKS/ MONTHS?
* ANY HELPFUL POINTERS ON MAINTAINING THE SEW IN AND HELPING TO GROW HAIR?

ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED!!

genesis

Here's my 2 cents:

Relaxed
Pros: Less manipulation of hair, allows me to stretch my relaxers longer, gives me a break from my granny bun, I can heat style it and have it looking fly.

Cons: Not able to really massage scalp--I like these. Sometimes I miss my hair and I am not really able to baby it like I do when out of a weave. Can lead to breakage if not moisturized properly.

Before LHCF I would keep my weaves in for 1-2 months. But now I am only keep them in for 2-3 weeks--I do my own.

Make sure you wash your hair w/diluted poo. I follow the Crown and Glory technique now for washing. Don't forget about your real hair--keep it moisturized, I have made the mistake of not moisturizing my hair under the weave and when I took it down it was dry and breaking.

HoneyDew

Relaxed

Pros - My hair grows well and is protected. My edges can be cared for better (compared to braids). It feels and looks sexy.
Cons - I miss touching my hair sometimes

* HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP YOUR SEW IN IN PLACE - HOW MANY WEEKS/ MONTHS? I keep it in for 2 months or so, but with a tightening mid-way through. (I pay to get mine done. I spend about $300 including the hair.

-Not leaving it in too long
-WASHING! CONDITIONING! MOISTURIZING!

Nita_h

I got mines done about a week ago.
I like it no more micros for me

Con Hard to get to your scalp when it itches

carmend

I AM TRYING TO GROW MY HAIR AND JUST DECIDED TO GIVE IT A REST BY WEARING A SEW IN. A CO WORKER GAVE SOME SHOCKING INFO TODAY OF THIS BREAKING HER HAIR AND SPLITTING HER ENDS. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN OUR REGIMES IS THE CO WORKER IS RELAXED AND I AM NATURAL. CAN I GET SOME INPUT FROM MY LCHF SISTERS..

Relaxed

Con- Hard to get to scalp especially depending on exaclty how its done.
Pros - Versatility (sp?) Hair protection/growth. Of all the styles Ive had (and Ive had many) my hair as grown fastest w/sew in weaves.

I have kept mine in as long as 8-10 weeks w/no problem. The only issue is the amount of untouched new growth u will have after that much time :eek:

Wash ur hair in the shower at least once a week.
Use an applicator bottle to oil ur scalp daily.
MAKE SURE THE BRAIDS ARE NOT TOO TIGHT (IMO this is probably what happened to people who claim breakage from weaves).

ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED!!

Ms Red

ARE YOU NATURAL / RELAXED?
20 weeks post relaxer/TRANSITIONING

Pros- A sew in can give me a different look (longer, shorter, blonde, red, whatever) and ensures that my hairstyle is looking nice. It also gives me a break from the constant worrying with my transition.
Cons- I used to leave my sew ins too long and ended up with breakage (this was over a 2 yr. period, off and on). Since joining LHCF, things have turned around dramatically.

I used to keep it in for 2 months. I haven't had one since last year, but now I would only leave it in for 3 weeks max. Trying to learn how to do it on my own.

Make sure you don't leave it in too long. Don't forget about the health of YOUR hair: moisturize, wash, condition and baby your hair when you take it out-- instead of throwing another weave in.

:) HTH!

esoterica

ARE YOU NATURAL / RELAXED? 8 months post

WHAT ARE YOUR PROS/ CONS OF WEARING THE SEW IN?
Pros
- It will help me stretch for 1 year
- Only use heat once a month or less
- Allows me to trim once a year
- I don't have to style my own hair at all
- I can wash every 2 days and just go
- I can have any color i want (have been blonde/black/red/purple)
- I can have any style i want (have had wavy/curly/straight)

Cons
- I realise now that i have to leave out my hairline or i will lose it all

HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP YOUR SEW IN IN PLACE - HOW MANY WEEKS/ MONTHS?- 4 to 6 weeks.

ANY HELPFUL POINTERS ON MAINTAINING THE SEW IN AND HELPING TO GROW HAIR?
- Leave out your hairline if possible
- Wash at least once a week
- Make sure cornrows are totally combed out before washing.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
ARE YOU NATURAL / RELAXED? natural

WHAT ARE YOUR PROS/ CONS OF WEARING THE SEW IN? My hair is protected. Less manipulation in the morning. I can get up and go.

Cons: I miss my real hair. I massage my hair daily as well.

HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP YOUR SEW IN IN PLACE - HOW MANY WEEKS/ MONTHS? No more then a month

ANY HELPFUL POINTERS ON MAINTAINING THE SEW IN AND HELPING TO GROW HAIR? I oil my scalp once a week (with, EVOO or Kemi Oyl) and I use Sea Breeze when my scalp iches, but that is very rare. I use to itch my hair like a "Mad Dog" when I was relaxed with a full head weave. :ohwell: I don't wash my hair at all while it's in a weave. Why? Becuase my scalp can't stand product build-up and that's what irritates it. I just cleanse it with the Sea Breeze.

I currently have Beverly Johnson's Spanish Wave 12" from the BSS. And this hair is the best hands down. I only paid $25 and I used less then 2 packs. BJ is a keeper for me. :woot: On this hair I use:

At night: I braid it really tight using Isoplus Bouncy creme amd I roll the very ends (so my hair won't unravel at night) and I place a satin bonnet on my head.

In the morning: I take down my braids and rollers and I use Fantasia IC hair polisher w/aloe enriched. This stuff is the best and it leaves my weave shiny all day. :grin:

My friend does my weaves and she uses 100% kankalene (I think that's how you spell it). I never bond my hair becuase I have a active lifestyle. The bonding glue is straight murder to my hair. :nono:

Last edited:

SUPER SWEET

* ARE YOU NATURAL / RELAXED? Relaxed

Pros
Good growth
Less prep time in the morning

Cons
Depending on the hair added, major shedding
Get mad when i see my real hair.....addictive

no more than 6 weeks

Be mindful of product build-up
Careful washing your hair and weave

ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED!![/QUOTE]