Question Regarding Big Chop...

Flourishnikov

Somewhere Flourishing...
Did you do your BC or did you go to a professional stylist to BC?

I'm pretty much totally natural in the back but from the center of my head forward I have about 1.5 in of relaxed hair left. I'm thinking about cutting that 1.5in off myself, but I don't wanna my hair to look funny when blow dried since I wont be cutting the back.

Should I just BC the relaxed hair at the front myself or just go to a professional to trim my whole head and get rid of relaxed ends? Can u tell I'm trying to save as much of my hair as possible? Lol

I did my own. I only had 1/2 inch of hair left since I didn't transition. I missed a few straight ends, but I kept trimming every wash day to keep it short. My twa was soooo easy!

Eta you should trim your relaxed ends yourself. A stylist may take off too much. You know exactly where to cut.

Last edited:
I agree with Prettymetty. I did my bc the 3 times I went natural and it was easy. Just wet your hair, put conditioner in it, and chop where the curl ends. I've never had a problem with my hair looking weird once straightened. I think it would be even easier for you to chop than it was me because you have such a small amount of relaxed ends.

I did both of my bc's myself. The first time I did it on loose hair I found myself still finding straight hairs here and there for the next couple of days. The second BC I did while my hair was in twists and I got all the straight ends the first time. My second bc is my avatar.

I did mines myself a couple months ago. I wanted to go to a stylist but got impatient and afraid they may cut off too much. It looked a lil awkward at first because the front was the shortest it had the most relaxed ends so it looked like I cut bangs there but it's growing out nicely now.

I did mine, by accident. It started as a trim and I just kept going. I cut off about 4&1/2 inches of relaxed hair after a 10 month transition. I did have a professional that I trust clean it up for me after a few days.

I wish I'd waited to read all of your responses, because I ended up going to my stylist and letting her cut it. It sucks though cuz she cut it all the way around to somewhat even it up but I needed a trim anyway. Kinda wish I'd been brave enough to do it myself though.
Well, for what it's worth, when I BC'd the 2nd time, I did it myself and it looked all sorts of crazy. I ended up going to a barbershop to even it out.

I wish I'd waited to read all of your responses, because I ended up going to my stylist and letting her cut it. It sucks though cuz she cut it all the way around to somewhat even it up but I needed a trim anyway. Kinda wish I'd been brave enough to do it myself though.

Doesn't suck. You got the cut you need and you'll avoid the set backs that many DIY's have because they refuse to cut all that needed to go the first time around. Enjoy your new natural status!

No it doesn't suck. This drastically reduces the likelihood of you needing a second BC because your hair will grow out nicely into a shape, instead of having different lengths and bad ends all over the place. I can tell when people do BCs themselves vs getting it professionally done and not in a good way lol.

I just bought a hair shears from www.themanechoice.com for the same reason. I want to trim away my splits and single strand knows myself so I garee with @Prettymetty, trim them yourself. Most stylists are really too scissor happy and don't understand your hair goals so they do what they want to do and often take off wayyyy more than you want them too.

Look for a stylist that understand your need for hair growth and when you find her, stick with her if you don't trust yourself to do the cut well.

Back