Questions About Shea Butter

sunnydey

Ladies, I recently received some pure shea butter from my co-worker to try and see if I like it. I have never used pure shea butter, only what's in Wonder Gro Shea Butter with Extra Oil. My co-worker is African and she was telling me the different uses of shea butter. I understand it can be used on stretch marks, for dry hair, for dry skin and other purposes. My questions pertain more to the proper way in which to use it on the hair.

Should I melt it before using it? Can I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment? How do I use it on my hair on a daily basis? These may sound like some dumb questions but I am trying to learn how to use natural products on my hair. By the way, I have relaxed hair and want to know how to use shea butter properly on relaxed hair. Also for you ladies that are currently using shea butter on your hair, please tell me the benefits that you have received from using shea butter

TIA for all replies.
sunnydey

bollyhair

Personally, I love Shea butter because it is extremely moisturizing, both on the skin and in the hair. I don't find that you necessarily need to melt it because once you scoop some out and put in your hands, your body heat will melt it. Rub it together and put it in your hair. Another thing. I've just recently re-visited the "Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade" and let me tell you,...that is the BOMB!
I was on my way to a meeting Monday and I'd washed my hair and was running extremely late so I put some of that shea butter pomade in my hair and slicked it back in a bun. Why did that stuff hold my hair like a gel w/ incredible shine and the next day, not only was my hair STRAIGHT
but it was VERY VERY SOFT AND MOISTURIZED!!
(I have made a couple of posts about dealing w/ my dry hair) DO try the shea butter, and btw, the Kemi Shea Pomade is straight shea butter and essential oils, NO PETROLEUM or MINERAL OILS, like MOST pomades. Hope this helps!

sunnydey

Hello bollyhair.

Thanks so much for responding to my questions. I will definitely try the Kemi-Oyl Shea Butter Pomade once I have finished the shea butter that I have now.

sunnydey

Poohbear, the real shea butter has a light cream color and it kind of reminds me of Palmer's Cocoa Butter's consistency. It really does not have a bad odor.

M_BYRON_M

I have the ORS shea butter aswell and i would like ot know what the pure one is like .Also has anyone found pure shea butter in the uk.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
bollyhair said:
I've just recently re-visited the "Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade" and let me tell you,...that is the BOMB!
I was on my way to a meeting Monday and I'd washed my hair and was running extremely late so I put some of that shea butter pomade in my hair and slicked it back in a bun. Why did that stuff hold my hair like a gel w/ incredible shine and the next day, not only was my hair STRAIGHT
but it was VERY VERY SOFT AND MOISTURIZED!!
(I have made a couple of posts about dealing w/ my dry hair) DO try the shea butter, and btw, the Kemi Shea Pomade is straight shea butter and essential oils, NO PETROLEUM or MINERAL OILS, like MOST pomades. Hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

bollyhair I don't see this on their website. Can u post a pic of it please
?

Isis

I bought some 100% pure shea butter a couple of years ago but didn't know how to use it on my hair. Since coming to LHCF, I've used it successfully to moisturize my ends, although I use other products more. And like CarolinaAfro said, a little goes a long way. My jar still looks pretty full.

CarolinaAfro

[ QUOTE ]
M_BYRON_M said:
I have the ORS shea butter aswell and i would like ot know what the pure one is like .Also has anyone found pure shea butter in the uk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't find any local try www.ebay.com (God knows they have everything else...)

NubianAngel

I have the kemi oyl pure shea butter but I much prefer the kemi oyl shea butter pomade. I share your enthusiasm about the producy, bollyhair

lonei

[ QUOTE ]
M_BYRON_M said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently bought Black and Beautiful Cocoa and Shea butter from PAK in Harlesden. It smells like normal cocoa butter. I used it to air dry my hair wet but it was too thick to comb through the hair with. This time I just used it to seal my ends and it was great, even though I couldnt comb through my hair with it, it kept it very moisturised, perhaps I just used too much.