Questions for Hair Consultation

stacy

I am going to have a hair consultation with a stylist at a new beauty salon. I'd like to get some ideas on what questions I should ask.
I currently have short, coarse, relaxed hair
( Hair Album ). My goal for this year is to have healthy, shoulder length hair. Like just about everyone else, my ultimate goal is to have at least bra-strap length, healthy hair. It has been eight weeks since my last touch-up. I'd like to get a touch-up in about two weeks. I use regular Affirm lye Relaxer. I normally wear my hair in a ponytail. I wash and condition weekly. I use the following products: Elucence moisture balancing shampoo, KeraCare's Humecto, 5-in-1, Super Reconstructor, and leave-in conditioners, Duo-Tex Protein conditioner, African Royale Braid Spray, and ORS Carrot Oil cream. My major concerns are: maintaining and acquiring length, maintaining moisture, minimizing split ends, minimizing/eliminating heat damage, increasing hair strength and elasticity, minimizing/eliminating chemical damage, achieveing uniformity in hair texture.
I have no major problems with my current hair stylist, which I visit only for touch-ups. It's just that I am still looking for "something better". I'd like to have a permanent stylist and I just have not found one yet. Should I just have a hair consultation with the new stylist and trust the old stylist for the touch-up and just try out the new stylist with a wash and style? Any help would be greatful. Thanks!

HOTCHOCOLATE

I think you should let the stylist wash/style you. And while you are there you can ask her questions. Suchas: Do you base the all of the scalp before applying the relaxer? What is your sequence for relaxing (back to front and then hairline)? Also, do you use anything to protect the already relaxed hair? How long do you leave the relaxer on? How often do you believe I should get a retouch? What is your definition of a trim---2"---1" or 1/2"? Ask what products she uses and why? I think those are some important questions to ask and based on her answer you will know if you will come back for a relaxer.

inthepink

You have really beautiful hair. I think it's smart to do your research before switching. I have no advice for you but good luck.

stacy

Thanks, ladies. I'll make my touch-up appointment with my regular stylist and go to the new lady for a wash and style later on! Good questions HOTCHOCOLATE!