Questions for naturals...

phynestone

What's the difference between a reconstructor and a protein conditioner and which ones do you prefer for 4B women? Would it be best for me to treat my hair with both of these when I take out my braids? Also, what clarifying shampoos do you guys recommend?

I don't have the answers, but I'm sure they're already on the board somewhere. I specifically remember a reconstructor thread w/n the last week or so. Try doing a search.

This may not be correct, but I believe that they both have protein in them. I also think they are supposed to be left on for small amounts of time. Over use of either can be drying to my hair, so I personally see them as the same.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the difference between a reconstructor and a protein conditioner and which ones do you prefer for 4B women? Would it be best for me to treat my hair with both of these when I take out my braids? Also, what clarifying shampoos do you guys recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that the difference was as following:

Protein conditioners - Do contain some protein and help to build up the hair shaft a little. Usually results shouldn't last more than a week or two. You have to read what kind of protein is in your conditioner. Some proteins are too big to be adsorbed into the cuticle. For example egg proteins are too big so ORS hair mayo may claim to have protein but I don't think that it will cause hard hair.

Protein Reconstructor - Intensive protein rebuilder. These are not conditioners. They usually do not contain any conditioning properties. Their sole purpose is to harden onto the hair to rebuild the cuticle, replace lost protein to the hair shaft, and immediately stop breakage. Reconstructors usually require an additional moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

Because my hair is color treated I use a protein reconstructor once every 6 to 8 weeks or after I remove my braids (with extension). I use regular conditioner weekly.

I do not think that your hair type matters when it comes to using reconstructors. It only depends on the condition of your hair. There are some relaxed sisters that use reconstucters along with some naturals like myself. I think that Den1 uses a reconstructer. Den1 has (almost waist length) 4ab hair.

I love black soap from nasabb to clarify. I figured that it gets my skin squeaky clean it should do the same thing for my hair. It works well to remove the HHB & gel I put in my hair every week.

[ QUOTE ]

I always thought that the difference was as following:

Protein conditioners - Do contain some protein and help to build up the hair shaft a little. Usually results shouldn't last more than a week or two. You have to read what kind of protein is in your conditioner. Some proteins are too big to be adsorbed into the cuticle. For example egg proteins are too big so ORS hair mayo may claim to have protein but I don't think that it will cause hard hair.

Protein Reconstructor - Intensive protein rebuilder. These are not conditioners. They usually do not contain any conditioning properties. Their sole purpose is to harden onto the hair to rebuild the cuticle, replace lost protein to the hair shaft, and immediately stop breakage. Reconstructors usually require an additional moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ditto what AFashionslave said. I would also like to add that Reconstructors usually have a much thinner consistency than Protein conditioners.

AngieK

My understanding of the two differs from yours. To me, protein conditioners are pure protein and can be real strong so need to be used with care; while reconstructors are a combination of protein and moisture so are milder. Both are used to strengthen. Protein conditioners must be followed by moisturizing conditioners or your hair will dry up hard and break. I gave some references in a thread that covered this very same topic about a week ago. Here is the thread.

Back