Questions Regarding Pre Poo, Wash, Protein Treatments And Dc

Mandy4610

Hello ladies,

I asked some of these questions in the protein thread but thought I would create a different thread to see if I can get a little more feedback.

I am in the process of re-creating my hair regimen.
I had a solid hair regimen before my twins were born and after that everything g just kinda fell to the side. Plus I also coloured my hair and had to recover from that.

My regimen was. Pre poo with protein conditioner, wash, DC, detangle and braid.

Here are my questions now...
1. What is the best pre poo? Something water based or oil? Which benefits hair most? I know something water based makes the hair more moisturizer and easier to handle while oil isn’t moisturizing but what’s better for the hair?
2. How beneficial is it to use a light protein as a pre poo? Will it still penetrate or is it better to wash and then protein treatment? For the longest time I used light proteins as pre poo. My hair was healthy and it seemed to work but right now my hair needs something more and wondering if the treatment still penetrates the strands since the hair isn’t clean and has product build up. Thoughts?
3. Do you deep condition after each protein treatment? Even the light protein treatments?
4. Do you do light protein regularly and then heavy protein every once in a while?

Long post I know. Really appreciate some feedback.

TIA ladies.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
You can mix oil with your prepoo. Get the best of both

If the prepoo is heavy on top of dirty hair it might not penetrate.

I’m protein sensitive so I have to use moisture after.

Sure someone else will chime in because I don’t use a lot of protein.

discodumpling

Your questions and the answers you seek are unique to your hair Sis. That's why you're not getting alot of feedback.
Especially your protein questions. Some of us ( like me) can use protein at every step in the process. Protein poo, protein conditioner, protein leavein and protein stylers and be Ok. For others that will result in protein overload. it's really only about what YOUR hair likes.
My hair likes steady doses of protein. My weekly DC is protein based yet I still use Aphogee when I need too! Some folks hair would act a fool with all that protein!
Continue to experiment and find what works best for YOUR hair. There is no one size fits all regimen.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

Thank you for your response. I totally understand what you are saying and will keep experimenting as I have already been. Just thought having ideas of what works for others would be helpful or just to have ideas from other peoples experiences would give me ideas on where and what to tweak. That’s so. Certainly don’t expect what works for others to work for me too.
Just info to arm myself with that’s all :)
Your questions and the answers you seek are unique to your hair Sis. That's why you're not getting alot of feedback.
Especially your protein questions. Some of us ( like me) can use protein at every step in the process. Protein poo, protein conditioner, protein leavein and protein stylers and be Ok. For others that will result in protein overload. it's really only about what YOUR hair likes.
My hair likes steady doses of protein. My weekly DC is protein based yet I still use Aphogee when I need too! Some folks hair would act a fool with all that protein!
Continue to experiment and find what works best for YOUR hair. There is no one size fits all regimen.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It might be easier to answer if you discuss what you know works.

For example, the answer to "what is the best pre-poo" depends on what works for YOU. For me, I determine my pre-poo on how my hair feels that week. So, if it feels really dry, that might mean a moisture based prepoo that uses coconut oil & aloe vera gel. Other times, during the winter it might be a hot oil treatment under the steamer. I have at least 4 or 5 different types of pre-poo recipes that can address most concerns.

Have you tried your orginal regimen as a starting point? Are you trying to simpify that program?

NaturalEnigma

1. What is the best prepoo?
I’ve tried both oil and conditioner prepoo. I prefer oil prepoos because I know during my wash regimen conditioner is guaranteed to be applied when I DC so an oil prepoo is an added bonus, plus I see a bigger difference in my hair, its shinier, and softer.

2. How beneficial is it to use a light prepoo? When I was relaxed I used Frederic Fekkai’s PM Strengthener it was a conditioner meant to be an overnight prepoo. I used it on every wash day. For me it was a light protein, but it was a powerhouse in preventing breakage. I think becuase of the quality of the ingredients. Aubrey organize GPB is great for my hair too and I’ve used that as a prepoo. Thank you for bringing this topic up becuase I forgot how much my hair loves protein prepoos. Lol If it’s working for you keep doing what you’re doing. For me light proteins are to be used consistently to prevent breakage and medium/hard proteins are for when I experience breakage and I’m trying to stop it. I see the light protein as something that helps me build up my hair to be stronger and healthier. Medium/hard proteins for me are a quick fix becuase if I use them consistently they will dry out my hair and eventually cause breakage.

3. Do you deep conditioner after every protein treamtment even after the light protein? Yes, I have some conditioners that are a mixture of protein and moisture those I don’t follow up with a moisturizing conditioner i.e. Shea Moisture 10 in one renewal mask and Camilla Rose Algae Renew Conditioner. I do have a garlic conditioner that helps to stop breakage and shedding that I like to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner although it’s not necessary, becuase it’s pretty moisturizing on its own.

4. Do you do light protein regularly and medium protein every once in a while? Yes, it’s dependent on my hair needs.

Mandy4610

Thank you for your response. I am currently following my original regimen. I have just recently come across some conflicting info and also since my hair is in recovery mode I thought I should pay more attention and look more into things. The question around using a lift protein as a pre poo came after I saw that some people use protein after shampooing so I wondered if there is some
Actual scientific proof that the protein wouldn’t penetrate the hair shaft if the hair has build up, therefore making the protein pre poo useless.
I love the regimen but I want it to actually benefit my hair if that makes sense. Not sure at this point how well that regimen is working, though I know it worked for me in the past. I am want whatever I am doing to make sense and to help my hair as it recovers. It also has to be manageable. I have twin girls that means 3 heads if hair to take care of.

Maybe I am complicating things and don’t need to change a thing and just stick with it ‍♀️
It might be easier to answer if you discuss what you know works.

For example, the answer to "what is the best pre-poo" depends on what works for YOU. For me, I determine my pre-poo on how my hair feels that week. So, if it feels really dry, that might mean a moisture based prepoo that uses coconut oil & aloe vera gel. Other times, during the winter it might be a hot oil treatment under the steamer. I have at least 4 or 5 different types of pre-poo recipes that can address most concerns.

Have you tried your orginal regimen as a starting point? Are you trying to simpify that program?

Mandy4610

Thank you so much. Great information.
1. What is the best prepoo?
I’ve tried both oil and conditioner prepoo. I prefer oil prepoos because I know during my wash regimen conditioner is guaranteed to be applied when I DC so an oil prepoo is an added bonus, plus I see a bigger difference in my hair, its shinier, and softer.

2. How beneficial is it to use a light prepoo? When I was relaxed I used Frederic Fekkai’s PM Strengthener it was a conditioner meant to be an overnight prepoo. I used it on every wash day. For me it was a light protein, but it was a powerhouse in preventing breakage. I think becuase of the quality of the ingredients. Aubrey organize GPB is great for my hair too and I’ve used that as a prepoo. Thank you for bringing this topic up becuase I forgot how much my hair loves protein prepoos. Lol If it’s working for you keep doing what you’re doing. For me light proteins are to be used consistently to prevent breakage and medium/hard proteins are for when I experience breakage and I’m trying to stop it. I see the light protein as something that helps me build up my hair to be stronger and healthier. Medium/hard proteins for me are a quick fix becuase if I use them consistently they will dry out my hair and eventually cause breakage.

3. Do you deep conditioner after every protein treamtment even after the light protein? Yes, I have some conditioners that are a mixture of protein and moisture those I don’t follow up with a moisturizing conditioner i.e. Shea Moisture 10 in one renewal mask and Camilla Rose Algae Renew Conditioner. I do have a garlic conditioner that helps to stop breakage and shedding that I like to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner although it’s not necessary, becuase it’s pretty moisturizing on its own.

4. Do you do light protein regularly and medium protein every once in a while? Yes, it’s dependent on my hair needs.
Thank you

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Thank you for your response. I am currently following my original regimen. I have just recently come across some conflicting info and also since my hair is in recovery mode I thought I should pay more attention and look more into things. The question around using a lift protein as a pre poo came after I saw that some people use protein after shampooing so I wondered if there is some
Actual scientific proof that the protein wouldn’t penetrate the hair shaft if the hair has build up, therefore making the protein pre poo useless.
I love the regimen but I want it to actually benefit my hair if that makes sense. Not sure at this point how well that regimen is working, though I know it worked for me in the past. I am want whatever I am doing to make sense and to help my hair as it recovers. It also has to be manageable. I have twin girls that means 3 heads if hair to take care of.

Maybe I am complicating things and don’t need to change a thing and just stick with it ‍♀️

I've heard the same silliness quoted over and over again online and in YouTube videos (about needing clean hair before you use protein/henna, etc). As I mentioned in the other thread, many services at a salon with a trained and licensed cosmotologist starts on "Dirty" hair and works, so how credible are those statements in that light?

Personally, if you used protein as a pre-poo in the past AND it worked, I think that puts the question to bed IMHO. But, you should look out for signs that point to the regimen no longer working so you can start to figure out why.

If I were you, start with what you know worked and make changes as you see fit. Your picture suggested it worked well, so why change it?

oneastrocurlie

I don't pre poo at all but to answer your other two questions. I mix my protein treatment with a non protein DC and do it all one. I like protein so I use something with it every other wash or so.