Quick Length Check - 5 years to WL...should I shoot for hip length?

So, I made it to waist length (my hair is just below where my fat indents at my natural waist line - I REALLY need to lose some weight/tone up or something...shudder).

Anyway, I'm waist length finally and I THINK I might try for hip length since it's not that far from WL for me. Not sure yet. We'll see.

I'm not putting "styled" hair in the thread because, well, I mostly just protective style these days. Buns or twists/braids in a bun.

It has taken me 5 years to get here. From a TWA in 2006, to WL in the summer of 2011. My hair does not grow fast. I've never been one that got the miraculous 2-3 inches of growth in one month. I have also never used any growth aids. I let my hair simply do what nature intended it to do. I no longer color my hair, and I've got the grays to prove it. This head of hair that you see is natural in every sense.

2006:

2010:
For comparison, I was MBL at the beginning of 2010:

2011:
And now, I'm finally past the fat dimples!!

Last edited:

Nonie

Congrats, OP! You're very close to hip bone length so I say go for it. (I do like to differentiate between HBL and HL because IMO, hips are around where your tailbone is so it'd take a little longer to get there.) The chart below shows you how close WL is to HBL:

Nonie's Hair Length Approximation Chart
NL = neck length; SL = shoulder length; CBL = collarbone length; APL = armpit length; BSB = below shoulder blades; MBL = midback length; WL = waist length; HBL = hipbone length; BL = butt length; MTL = mid-thigh length; KL = knee length; MCL = mid-calf length; AL = ankle length; then I added FL (floor length, even though it's not a body part just coz I'd drawn the line and didn't feel like coloring it out. Guess, I could've called it Sole Length...but another SL would've been too confusing. Maybe we can pretend it's foot length. :look: )

Congrats, OP! You're very close to hip bone length so I say go for it. (I do like to differentiate between HBL and HL because IMO, hips are around where your tailbone is so it'd take a little longer to get there.) The chart below shows you how close WL is to HBL:

Nonie's Hair Length Approximation Chart
NL = neck length; SL = shoulder length; CBL = collarbone length; APL = armpit length; BSB = below shoulder blades; MBL = midback length; WL = waist length; HBL = hipbone length; BL = butt length; MTL = mid-thigh length; KL = knee length; MCL = mid-calf length; AL = ankle length; then I added FL (floor length, even though it's not a body part just coz I'd drawn the line and didn't feel like coloring it out. Guess, I could've called it Sole Length...but another SL would've been too confusing. Maybe we can pretend it's foot length. :look: )

Nonie, very good distincton. I'm close to hip BONE length now. Maybe I can still make it to hip length by the end of 2012?? Just don't know whether to keep going or not.

Nonie

@Nonie, very good distincton. I'm close to hip BONE length now. Maybe I can still make it to hip length by the end of 2012?? Just don't know whether to keep going or not.

What have you got to lose MekyakaKinkerbelle? You could always cut it back if you decide you don't like it. I say aim for the sky and you'll reach the stars. So why not just go for mid-thigh eh? :poke:

Austro-Afrikana

Wow, I want that to be me!! Lol. Go for it. I've also wondered about going for HL as a never straighten my hair and I want my braid outs to hang at BSL.

SEMO

Congrats on making WL! You should definitely shoot for HL if you're interested.

Solitude

Your hair is so pretty! I love the way you said you let your hair do its thing...that's awesome.

You look really close to hip-length. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

swgpec

You and your hair are beautiful! It's also good to hear that you did not give up on your journey. Can you share your regime?

You and your hair are beautiful! It's also good to hear that you did not give up on your journey. Can you share your regime?

swgpec,
The reggie has definitely switched up a LOT over the last few years, but I must say I've gotten the most growth and retention over the last year or so, mostly due to remaining low maintenance. I've finally gotten the color out of my hair over the years (which contributed to a lot of dryness for me).

Now, I co-wash for the most part. Shampooing infrequently with a SLS free shampoo. Then I apply Mixed Chicks Leave-in Conditioner (the slip is amazing) and I bun or twist it up. Most of the time, my hair stays off my shoulders/clothes and my ends are protected.

And I love coconut oil. I've been slacking lately, but I like to add coconut oil every chance I get. While twisting, on my ends, as a DC...coconut oil is my friend.

That's pretty much it. I don't do any "curl defining" styles anymore, so I don't use any gels or cremes designed for that. If my hair is out right now, it is from a twist out or a braid out. That's pretty much it.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
lovely hair!!
you might as well if you're not having any huge problems with your hair. it'll give your twists MAJOR hang, so dooo it.