Quick Question about Blowdrying

Janice

Hi I am a natural and going to experiment with blowdrying my hair tonight and had 2 questions.My hair is 3c/4a.I am totally cluless, so forgive me on the questions if they seem simple.

DO I use a setting lotion or a relaxing balm then blowdry?

Also if I do use one of these , is it okay to use it on dry hair that is already moisturized with products on it or should my hair be freshly washed first?

I was planning on streching it out for for length to do twisties then putting gel on it to hold.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Janice

A leave in conditioner is good before blowdrying. Salerm 21 is nice. It will make your hair soft and silky and it smells like baby powder.

caligirl said:
A leave in conditioner is good before blowdrying. Salerm 21 is nice. It will make your hair soft and silky and it smells like baby powder.
I blowdried my hair with Salerm21 in it back in Nov 2004 and my hair came out very dry and brittle for some reason. :(

Sorry to hear that poohbear. Well I tried doing it on Sunday morning and gave up after blowdrying like 3 sections. I am returning the blowdryer. Thank God it has a 90 day trial period. I don't believe it was a salon qaultiy grade. But the Sally's sales assistant did recommend some strainghtenening hair protectant spray but it did't seem to do anything.

My friends have been telling me to go to the Dominicans. So sometime next week I will go to them for a good blowout or press.

Janice said:
Sorry to hear that poohbear. Well I tried doing it on Sunday morning and gave up after blowdrying like 3 sections. I am returning the blowdryer. Thank God it has a 90 day trial period. I don't believe it was a salon qaultiy grade. But the Sally's sales assistant did recommend some strainghtenening hair protectant spray but it did't seem to do anything.

My friends have been telling me to go to the Dominicans. So sometime next week I will go to them for a good blowout or press.
Great! Another reason my hair probably didn't turn out right is because "I" blowdried it. :grin: When my mom used to blowdry my hair, she could get it silky straight with just water & grease only in my hair...that was also when I would get my hair relaxed bone straight as well. Good luck at the Dominican salon! ;)

Janice said:
Hi I am a natural and going to experiment with blowdrying my hair tonight and had 2 questions.My hair is 3c/4a.I am totally cluless, so forgive me on the questions if they seem simple.

DO I use a setting lotion or a relaxing balm then blowdry?

Also if I do use one of these , is it okay to use it on dry hair that is already moisturized with products on it or should my hair be freshly washed first?

I was planning on streching it out for for length to do twisties then putting gel on it to hold.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Janice

I'm not a natural so I don't want to give you wrong advice, however I do have lots of new growth so I can only tell you what I do with that.

Your hair should defintely be washed and conditioned first. I wouldn't use heat on dry hair as it will damage your hair. I use mostly Nexxus Therappe moisturizing shampoo and Soft and Beautiful Hair Moisturizing complex conditioner. Both those products will make your hair soft.Follow up with a good heat protectant such as Ion anti frizz solutions heat protection straightening iron spray and I also like Wild growth hair oil on wet hair:)

Also, PM AFashionslave. She's got some really helpful tips and stuff in her Fotki from blowouts to twistouts to flat ironing:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Baileyscream. Ironically, the ION Straigtening spray was the one that the sales assistant recommended that I brought and she told me that I could do it on dry hair. But there was really no difference after doing three ssections. So my next thing to do is get it done at the Dominicans and pay close attention so that I learn to do it well myself. I plan on relaxing it in about a month from now so, looks like I won't have to worry about blowdrying to get it straight afterwards. I really appreciate your help though.

BAILEYSCREAM said:
I'm not a natural so I don't want to give you wrong advice, however I do have lots of new growth so I can only tell you what I do with that.

Your hair should defintely be washed and conditioned first. I wouldn't use heat on dry hair as it will damage your hair. I use mostly Nexxus Therappe moisturizing shampoo and Soft and Beautiful Hair Moisturizing complex conditioner. Both those products will make your hair soft.Follow up with a good heat protectant such as Ion anti frizz solutions heat protection straightening iron spray and I also like Wild growth hair oil on wet hair:)

Also, PM AFashionslave. She's got some really helpful tips and stuff in her Fotki from blowouts to twistouts to flat ironing:)

Back