Quick question for those who reached goal....

determine3

One of my biggest motivations right now is reaching my hair goal which is little past bra strap and kicking braids and weaves. I've been wearing braids and weaves FOREVER!!!!! I've always 'dreamed' of having long flowing hair and wearing it down or in a cute pony tail style. Now, after being here and reading post after post after post, it almost seems that the closer others get to goal is the less they wear there hair down and flowing or unprotected.

Am I wrong here? My hair is natural but I always planned on perming or flat ironing my hair regularly when I reached a good length (for me that is). Am I wrong to think that when I get there I can wear my hair down all the time or does everyone just choose to wear protective styles because they feel like it?

I hope this post doesn't sound stupid and someone kinda understands where i'm trying to go with this.

Thanks ladies!:)

Healthb4Length

I understand what you trying to convey. Why grow your hair long, only to wear it pinned or bunned up all the time? Why not show it off? Correct? The reason I feel most go the natural route or don't wear their hair down all the time is because of our knowledge on how to take care of our hair. Some of us find that once hair is a certain length it can take a lot to maintain it and wear it down on a daily basis, bunning or doing protective styles keep the ends moist and supple and helps retain length. Long hair is not cute when you got raggedy ends! Another factor I believe is unwanted attention from pervert men or aggressive hating women...it just depends on the person.

determine3

That makes sense but I have to admit is scary to me. Sometimes I view pics and think "hot damn, if I had your hair or your length I would always show it off!". Then I think "what's the point in growing your hair long if you can't wear it out or be stress free?" I've read a few posts from ladies who have waist length hair and still wear pony ponies etc. I just want to enjoy my hair if that makes sense. Too many years for me of wearing braids/weaves/ponies have me sour. I know this is a choice, but my hair is jacked up !!!!!!:lachen:

I guess I have a lot to learn.

Healthb4Length

determine3 said:
That makes sense but I have to admit is scary to me. Sometimes I view pics and think "hot damn, if I had your hair or your length I would always show it off!". Then I think "what's the point in growing your hair long if you can't wear it out or be stress free?" I've read a few posts from ladies who have waist length hair and still wear pony ponies etc. I just want to enjoy my hair if that makes sense. Too many years for me of wearing braids/weaves/ponies have me sour. I know this is a choice, but my hair is jacked up !!!!!!:lachen:

I guess I have a lot to learn.

That's okay we all learn something new here every day! :) When I first started I was like that too, now I just think I suffer hair anorexia cause I'm bra length and I still feel my hair is so short! When your hair begins to grow and grow you'll start to feel the same way too...TRUST me.

tastesosweet

I think once you reach your hair goal, you will be amazed at the amount of options you will have for styling. My hair stylist is my personal hair guru since she dons a headful of thick and shiny waist-length hair. She sticks to protective styles simply because of the amount of time it takes to wash, blow-dry, and style her hair, but she does do this about once a month. Nonetheless, she wears some of the baddest natural styles I've ever seen. Flat twists buns, 2 strands, you name it. And they all look beautful because she has a healthy head of hair. My hair is currently almost to the bra strap and she is able to duplicate some of those styles on my head, but I can't wait to have that same length to work with. The possibilities are endless!