Quick Question

ThatChick

I am getting my hair relaxed on Friday, I washed my hair today bc I just couldnt take it! Do you think this is ok? I know you are not supposed to wash it a certain amount of time before the relaxer but Im not sure how long? Does anyone know?

Thanks in Advance!

I think you should be fine. I washed mine approx 2 days before a touch up and it was okay.

I think the main thing is to not overly irritate your scalp from say the day or so before for example with excessive scalp itching. As long as you are based well too before the relaxer, that will also make it a more successful relaxer!

Thatchick,

I have a super sensitive scalp. For me, it's dependent on if the stylist bases my scalp, as BRH stated. I think the recommended time of washing before relaxing is 48 hours.

I, have done that and burned like a motha! I would suggest at least 3 days. So you should be fine, dahling! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think you should be fine. I washed mine approx 2 days before a touch up and it was okay.

I think the main thing is to not overly irritate your scalp from say the day or so before for example with excessive scalp itching. As long as you are based well too before the relaxer, that will also make it a more successful relaxer!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done the same thing, and it's worked out fine for me as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the past I would not wash my hair the same week that I was getting a relaxer. However the last time I wash my hair four days before the relaxer and I did not have any scalp burns. I think having clean hair before relaxing has some good benefits. The first benefit is that you are less likely to scratch your hair which casues scalp burns when relaxing.

sbaker said:
I think having clean hair before relaxing has some good benefits. The first benefit is that you are less likely to scratch your hair which casues scalp burns when relaxing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree! the second is that since the hair is not loaded with oils the relaxer can take quicker and better! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i get mine done with my hair dirty, like 1 week and beyond. I do this because i have very fine hair and the more guck and weekly buildup the relaxer has to get through b4 its starts to straighten the better. of course that's just me!!

i think my hair breaks down very fast, so i try to minimize my time to 15 mins application to rinse time.

Thanks for all your responses. I did a 'conditioner wash' and a braid out and it turned out pretty good too. I am getting so many compliments at work today. (This is my first time doing conditioner wash and braid out) I just hope that Friday I wont burn too much.

Are you going to go to the salon with a braid out to get your relaxer touch up? I was just curious because I'm wondering if it will be easy for your stylist to recognize your new growth. I always try to do a roller set and wrap the week before I get a relaxer touch up (so my stylist will know the new growth).

Allandra said:
Are you going to go to the salon with a braid out to get your relaxer touch up? I was just curious because I'm wondering if it will be easy for your stylist to recognize your new growth. I always try to do a roller set and wrap the week before I get a relaxer touch up (so my stylist will know the new growth).

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I never thought about that thanks for asking. I havent had a perm in about 9 weeks so she should be able to tell. I think she is really good about being careful but maybe I shouldnt have done the braid out then. (Oh no). Im feeling my new growth myself and there is alot of it. Im going to talk to her and make sure she knows.

Back