Rain Water Rinse

charmtreese

Has anyone ever used rain water as a final rinse? My mom and I were playing around a couple of weeks ago while at was at her house doing her hair, and decided it would be fun to collect some rain water for her final rinse. We had a great time running in the rain to scatter pots and bowls on the back deck for our experiment. Well, to both our surprise her hair turned out soooo, soft and smooth and the only thing we changed was using rain water for her final rinse. :look:

So, that got me to thinking...that maybe I should collect me some rain water and use it in my spray bottle and as a final rinse!:grin:

What do you ladies think!!

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I don't know.

I just got a flashback of that old Different Strokes episode when Kimberly's hair turned green. :lol: (I forgot the reason why.)

ETA: I just looked it up - it was acid rain/pollution.

Last edited:

d-rock

Has anyone ever used rain water as a final rinse? My mom and I were playing around a couple of weeks ago while at was at her house doing her hair, and decided it would be fun to collect some rain water for her final rinse. We had a great time running in the rain to scatter pots and bowls on the back deck for our experiment. Well, to both our surprise her hair turned out soooo, soft and smooth and the only thing we changed was using rain water for her final rinse. :look:

So, that got me to thinking...that maybe I should collect me some rain water and use it in my spray bottle and as a final rinse!:grin:

That's an idea. Rain water might be better since it's not coming from a treatment plant pumped full of minerals and chemicals.

ladylibra

hayle naw... Indiana has some awfully acidic rain water. :nono: if i lived somewhere with better-quality rainwater, perhaps.

actually i wonder if the acidic rainwater is really any better than the chlorinated (among other things) tap water that currently comes out of my shower... :look: oh well i've already bought a new filter/showerhead, doesn't matter now :lachen:

cutiebe2

hayle naw... Indiana has some awfully acidic rain water. :nono: if i lived somewhere with better-quality rainwater, perhaps.

actually i wonder if the acidic rainwater is really any better than the chlorinated (among other things) tap water that currently comes out of my shower... :look: oh well i've already bought a new filter/showerhead, doesn't matter now :lachen:

I was thinking the same thing

If I was away from a polluted area (the amazon rain water in probably great) then I would do it

thats a good idea..plus its free!!!!

LABETT

I have not heard this since I was a child and my aunts would wash their hair in rain water
4 times during the year.
My Aunts claim the rain water would help their hair grow. a hair myth :drunk:

Dubois007

I'm not surprised I used to do that all the time when I was living in the caribbean. Rain water make your skin feels smooth as well, I miss it

charmtreese

This is some info I found on LHC, it was posted about 2 years ago :

"Water coming from the tap (be it a well or municipal source) is usually from the ground. When water moves through the soil, it picks up trace minerals, which makes it “hard”. The deeper the well/aquifer/ water bearing strata = the harder the water. Shallow sources can be quite hard if the soil it percs through is mineral rich as well.

Rainwater is perfectly soft because those minerals stay earthbound when the water evaporates.

You will collect tons more water if you have gutters on your house. Just place your collection container with bug/leaf screen under the downspout after it has rained for a bit. This allows the first icky water to rinse off your roof and settle the dust/pollution before you start collecting.

1” of rain on 1000 sq feet of roof = 634?(working from memory here) gallons.

For just hair care, you wouldn’t have to be very elaborate. Just make sure your collection container isn’t a metal that dissolves easily in water or you will defeat the purpose. Stick to enameled pots, stainless steel, plastic, glass or wood.

Rainwater is also good for laundry, watering plants, dishes, etc. etc. etc. Just remember that soft water needs waaaaay less soap than your tap water. If you have a municipal water source and enjoy collecting rainwater, seriously consider using it to water your houseplants. Municipal tap water is full of chlorine or other ‘purifiers’ including salt that can be very hard on your plants."

taj

The article on rainwater is interesting and what I believe to be the truth.:yep: I dont know the quality of rainwater in north Jersey. I think it's worth a try, given the conditions aren't too bad.

♦K.O♦

Some time last year I started a thread about how beautiful my hair felt AND behaved after I got caught in a downpour. It's an interesting idea.

Averoigne

I don't know.

I just got a flashback of that old Different Strokes episode when Kimberly's hair turned green. :lol: (I forgot the reason why.)

ETA: I just looked it up - it was acid rain/pollution.

That was the FIRST thing that popped into my mind whenever I saw the title of this thread...

hairspan

I remember when i was younger my mother would always have pickle jars in the drive way while its raining 2 catch rain water & use it around the house so i think it would be good 4 ur hair.

Angelicus

Depending on where you live, acid rain could be good for laying down your hair cuticles. Don't try this in Houston, Indiana, Los Angeles or any other heavy polluted place.

rosie

I remember this from when I was a little girl. Miss Alberta was the lady on our block that did hair for money. She washed everybody's hair in rain water that she colleccted from her rain gutters. She had a barrel that it ran into. She especially used it on her daughter's hair.

I remember that my mom would not let us go to Miss Alberta 'cause her and her daughter's head looked JACKED UP!!!!!

My mom did a better job with some Joy dishwashing liquid and tap water than Miss Alberta.

Having said that, I believe that rain water can have some benefits and be better for hair than tap water. (Miss Alberta just didn't have any skills, except for JACKING UP THE HAIR!!! whew, thank you ma)

We have 3 75 gallon collection barrels outside our house to water the plants and grass. We have drought conditions during the summer time and they always put us on water restrictions. I would not use that water on my head, though. Those barrels are over a year old and have all kind of stuff growing in there. (That might be what was wrong with Miss Alberta's water, it was contaminated with mold and mildew and pollen and such)

But if you set out bowls specifically for collecting hair wash water then it should be clean and good to go.

tarheelgurl

I remember an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where granny collected snow to wash her hair in.
My great aunt used to collect snow once a year to wash or rinse ( I don't know which) her hair.

I suggest you research the rain in yoru area first. If you live in a big city or highly industrious area, that might not be a good idea. Rain comes from the top of our atmosphere clean but it has to come thru the smog and co2 and gas emissions and etc etc. I live in a major city so I wouldnt. Im just gonna use a shower filter (on my birthday wish list)

charmtreese

Thanks for all of the great input. I guess I'll have the water tested first before I use it! ***Now my mom is going to be like, "well you used it on my head without testing it":look: ***

Anna9764

I think it sounds refreshing in a very earthy natural way. Gro

wing up me and my sister always collected the 1st May rain for hair growth

Anna

Blessed_Angel

Thanks for all of the great input. I guess I'll have the water tested first before I use it! ***Now my mom is going to be like, "well you used it on my head without testing it":look: ***

:lachen::lachen:

I would love to try this as I collect rain water for my plants. But I live in the city; so I won't bother. I wish I could though. :yep:

jahzyira

During the rainy season ill deep condition, rinse, go to the park and let the rain re-moisten my hair... It dries so soft when I do that. Theres also a "magical" creek in the park and I always use it to "hydrate" my hair. I could have dry hair and when I sit at the bench long enough my hair literally feels more moisturized to the point ill experience reversion if my hair is pressed. Funny thing I know, but my hair loves it so much.....

bedazzled

I think it depends on where you live..alot of our water is polluted and acidic..And even with that said...the water cycle is spread amongst the earth..rain just doesnt designate a certain area..thus one day you might be getting water from a nice lake, pond and then the next thing youre getting water from the black sea..*shrugs*..i guess its kind of like gambling?

Whisper

I did this around Easter. I collected rain water in a plastic container that was out on the deck. Did my final rinse with what I had collected and my hair was very soft.

aero21

I have not heard this since I was a child and my aunts would wash their hair in rain water
4 times during the year.
My Aunts claim the rain water would help their hair grow. a hair myth :drunk:
ditto my boyfriends grandma says theame thing.

Lei*Lei

My neighbor use to use rainwater for everything, from hair to washing clothes. I live in the caribbean and i see alot of people who do this. I never tried it myself though..