RAINBOW Brand Henna

discobiscuits

Now that I've done the search and I did the reading I am ready to try henna and I've chosen Rainbow Henna and I will get it from Whole Foods.

My questions are:
  1. Who has used this brand?
  2. Did you like it?
  3. What were your results?
  4. What shade did you choose or did you use neutral?
  5. Will I have to "sift" this brand before I mix and apply?
  6. I read the label and did not see PPD but the threads said that it is not BAQ henna, so is it safe?
  7. Based on the other henna threads and the henna websites you guys suggested, color from henna is permanent so-to-speak but Rainbow says it will wash out in 6 shampoos.
    • Which is true?
    • Is henna color permanent or temporary?
  8. I want to try the Dark Brown color, is it mixed with indigo?
    • What is in it that makes it dark brown and not reddish?

Here's my 2 cents. :D I tried Rainbow henna that every says bad things about. I tried the "neutral" one. My hair felt so good afterwards.

I then tried cassia that I bought from HFH alone w/o anything else and it honestly did not give me the same benefits as the Rainbow henna.

I used cassia once aweek for about a month and I never got that WOW that I got after using Rainbow Henna once. Maybe it was overkill, but it made me realize that Cassia, although nice, just is not as good. I have yet to try pure henna w/o any cassia or indigo or anything mixed in, even though I have a bag of henna and indigo sitting here calling out to be used . I am sure I will be WOWed by that. I am just hesitant because I don't want the color change.

At the same time, I don't need to dye my hair right now and I don't feel like dealing with the messy indigo. I don't know - all the henna products that everyone says are not real have been great for me. I have a bag of henna and indigo at home just waiting to be used.
<slipping out of lurkdom to post some helpful Henna hints>

I dont current use Henna but as a teen it was the only thing we used to condition/color our hair

though Rainbow Henna is a brand ( non-Indian) it is considered pure Henna by Whole Foods Mkt where it can be purchased... more importantly, the website there gives great henna useage hints that can be used with tattoo grade hennas from Indian sellers if you so choose

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/henna_instructions.html
Was it Rainbow Henna. That is what it sounds like. And if it was, that stuff is not sifted at all! I tried the neutral one.
There is some MISinformation about non-BAQ Henna... I dont know much about LUSH brand henna just there are some commercial brands that are pre-mixed to the color of your choice that are just as safe as BAQ Henna... They dont contain any of the baddies and all of the good conditioning qualities of BAQ.... They are just as cost-effective as BAQ and have less hassles when it comes to mixing

There are 2 or 3 brands Im intimately aware of:

Rainbow Henna ( sold at Whole foods) is NATURAL henna but also gives color..
*All Natural * NO Additives * NO Chemicals

http://www.rainbowresearch.com/html/henna.htm

Rainbow Henna has no additives, chemicals, or pesticides. Rainbow Henna coats each hair shaft with color. Blends naturally. Fades gradually. Lasts 4-6 weeks. Smooths and seals the hair's cuticle for greater shine and body. Our custom-tailored recipes can be used for special effects, covering grey, and improving texture.

Available in the following shades:
Black -True, deep black tones(ebony)
Dark Brown -Rich, brown tones (sable)
Medium Brown -Warm, brown tones (chestnut)
Light Brown -Light brown tones
Red -Full spectrum of red tones
Sherry -Rich, red tones (light auburn)
Mahogany -Woodsy red tones(medium auburn)
Burgundy -Burgundy brown tones (dark auburn)
Copper -Rich, copper red tones
Strawberry Blonde -Light, golden red tones*
Blonde -Brightens and highlights*
Marigold Blonde -Golden blonde tones*
Neutral -Deposits no color on the hair.

now this second 1, Im not sure , in fact, I doubt its 100% natural though it says ORGANIC ingredients... but I know it has conditioning effects... I used this for YEARS growing up because it was the only way my parents allowed me to color my hair

looking at the ingredient list, Im not too overly concerned with the ingredients.. and Ive found this at local BSS for like $5
Comes in cream & powder form, though Ive only used the powder
http://www.folica.com/Colora_Henna_Cr_d1215.html

Transparent luminous shade of pure organic hair color and conditioner with no peroxide or ammonia.

Colora Henna works wonders for your hair, particularly if it feels dull and lifeless. Natural Henna adds body and bounce and offers a choice of rich but subtle color changes. Colora brightens and highlights your hair, leaving it gleaming and elegant.

It adds moisture, body and shine to:

* Dry, brittle or permed hair
* Damaged or drab hair
* Lifeless or limp hair
* Tinted or bleached hair

Ingredients:

Water, Natural Henna Extract, Alcohol, Cocoamphopropionate, Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose.

May also contain: Solvent Black 5, Disperse Blue 1, Basic Violet 14, Basic Yellow 15.

Ive also used this brand:

http://www.folica.com/Hennalucent_Hai_d1231.html

100% organic.
A professional henna product that penetrates the hair shaft through natural, organic absorption to deliver long-term shine, body and beauty color highlights.

Hennalucent is a unique formulation of micro-refined henna, hydrolyzed protein, pH neutralizers and rich, organic conditioners that revitalizes all types of hair. It repairs split ends, adds new strength and vitality. Even dry, damaged, chemically treated hair becomes healthier and more vibrant.

Hennalucent is a 100% organic translucent toner and conditioner. It will give you a shimmering graduation of tone within the existing color level of the hair. It is not meant to change to the extreme color level of the hair. Nor will it cover gray or lighten hair. Hennelucent is not a tint, dye or shade lifter and does not contain metallic salts, peroxides or harsh chemicals.
There are several different kinds of henna.

1) BAQ (body Art Quality) Henna is the kind that most people here use, and recommend. It's pure henna, with no additives, and it is completely safe to relax over.

2) Reputable Henna Mixes - LUSH, Rainbow, and a couple of other companies make henna 'combos' which might be more brown/black than exclusively red - still safe to henna over.

3) Salon Henna - this isn't really henna - well, not mostly. It's henna, plus other assorted minerals and metal salts that 'insure' a consistent color and coverage. THIS is the stuff you CANNOT relax over - the combination of the metal salts and relaxer will equal no hair. It's scary stuff.

So, that's the reason for the warning, and assuming you are using BAQ henna (Jamilla, FNWL, HennaSooq, etc) you'll be fine.

Last edited:

PassionFruit

the only complaint about Rainbow brand I have is, the color isnt as dynamic as I got when using Colora brand...and it was slightly more costly then the other non BAQ Henna but thats probably a fault of WHole Foods where EVERYTHING is a lil more expensive

BostonMaria

Well if you're just trying to dye your hair its ok, but it is not quality henna and won't give you the added benefits of using 100% henna people rave about. The Rainbow brand has chemicals even tho they claim they're natural. I read boards where people complain about that brand making their hair feel dry. If this is your first time using henna I wouldn't recommend using it. If you do end up using anyway, add EVOO to your batch and make sure to rinse it out completely, co-wash, and moisturize like crazy.

discobiscuits

Well if you're just trying to dye your hair its ok, but it is not quality henna and won't give you the added benefits of using 100% henna people rave about. The Rainbow brand has chemicals even tho they claim they're natural. I read boards where people complain about that brand making their hair feel dry. If this is your first time using henna I wouldn't recommend using it. If you do end up using anyway, add EVOO to your batch and make sure to rinse it out completely, co-wash, and moisturize like crazy.

BostonMaria, thanks. Actually, after reading your post, if it has chemicals and they are not 100% henna, then I'll leave it be. Too bad because I liked the idea of not having to use indigo or mixing etc.

Thanks PassionFruit for your suggestion. I may just avoid henna. I'm trying to color/cover/tint my grays without dyes.

It it turns your hair any other color than reddish brown it AINT PURE HENNA. It has something else added to it. Pure henna only gives one color (which varies from person to person ONLY because we all start with a different color). Henna will NOT turn your hair blond nor will it give you a neutral gloss. Be very AWARE that you are not using pure henna. You are using a hair COLOR. Take the same precautions as you would if you use Nice n Easy, Dark n Lovely, etc.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

^^^^^Read about henna to know what it is, what it isnt and what it can and can not do.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

It it turns your hair any other color than reddish brown it AINT PURE HENNA. It has something else added to it. Pure henna only gives one color (which varies from person to person ONLY because we all start with a different color). Henna will NOT turn your hair blond nor will it give you a neutral gloss. Be very AWARE that you are not using pure henna. You are using a hair COLOR. Take the same precautions as you would if you use Nice n Easy, Dark n Lovely, etc.

I agree with this...there has to be something else added to the henna if it turns your hair any other color than a reddish color depending on what color your hair is.

PassionFruit

no one is saying that there is nothing added to the henna to make it change colors.... Im simply asserting that whats added in the Rainbow brand is just healthy and conditioning as any of the henna mixes listed on the henna for hair site

Rainbow Henna is NOT the same as Dark & Lovely or anythign else similar... it will NOT DYE the hair... just enrich the tones

to each his own

discobiscuits

beautifulisaunderstatment and marie170 thanks so much for your suggestions/input. BIU: i already visited that site and others. i'm aware what 100% pure henna is but like PassionFruit said, as it relates to Rainbow Henna, they do add things to tint the hair and PassionFruit that is my concern: is it dye or natural like indigo? I read the label and it did not answer my questions and since i saw other's had used it, i thought I'd ask those who have used it or at least had insight, so thanks PF for your help too.

bottom line, i wanted to try Rainbow but since it says that the color washes out in6-8 shampoos (sounds like a rinse) i wonder what they use to color the hair. that is why i was asking if it has PPD or something in it.

i've decided to not use it or any henna, at least not right now - not unless i can find a product that has the henna and indigo already measured and mixed with instructions. if not, i don't think i'll do henna. the indigo prep and application seems reeeeely tedious and i don't want a red or brown shade to my grays my hair already is a color i hate.

ladies, i don't know what to do. i don't want to use chemical dyes or rinses but other than Rainbow I have not seen any henna product that also is mixed with a natural colorant.

disgtgyal

I'm bumping this thread because I just purchased the rainbow brand of henna in ebony and, I was wondering what results did those who've used it have and how dis it compare to other brands you've used?

HoneyDew

I have used this, as stated

The results are not as good, IMO. Now that I use Karishma.

Also, there us a lot of debris, suggesting that it is not sifted very well.

I also wonder about the ingredients, because the color is not green, like henna should be. (now I know)

I use Karishma henna now. It is wonderful!

Last edited:

TinkaBella

My questions are:
Who has used this brand?
Rainbow Henna
Did you like it?
its acceptable, i wanted the color to stand out more but i can see that my hair is a little darker
What were your results?
bouncy, shine and soft, i added soybean oil and an egg to the mix and did a normal routine as if it was wash day
What shade did you choose or did you use neutral?
persian copper but next time i am going to use a blonde color to see if it really stands out
Will I have to "sift" this brand before I mix and apply?
i mixed it as if i was making a cake
I read the label and did not see PPD but the threads said that it is not BAQ henna, so is it safe?
it seems safe to me
Based on the other henna threads and the henna websites you guys suggested, color from henna is permanent so-to-speak but Rainbow says it will wash out in 6 shampoos.
Which is true?

this is my first time but it did say that it will fade gradually and you will not be able to tell when you have new growth
Is henna color permanent or temporary?
must be temporary due to the fact it only lasts 4-6 weeks
I want to try the Dark Brown color, is it mixed with indigo?
dont know sorry
What is in it that makes it dark brown and not reddish?
dont know sorry

SplashAtl

Anyone else have any comments on Rainbow Henna?

A friend of mine just bought some from Whole Foods. She said she cannot continue to use Henna and then Indigo. She said it takes forever and the color doesn't last long. I think she said it doesn't cover her grey long. Anyway, just trying to do some research on this brand. As I am, she is allergic to hair dye and the only color choices she has are Henna and Rinses. Rinses are a pain in the butt as color gets all over everything.

BostonMaria

Anyone else have any comments on Rainbow Henna?

A friend of mine just bought some from Whole Foods. She said she cannot continue to use Henna and then Indigo. She said it takes forever and the color doesn't last long. I think she said it doesn't cover her grey long. Anyway, just trying to do some research on this brand. As I am, she is allergic to hair dye and the only color choices she has are Henna and Rinses. Rinses are a pain in the butt as color gets all over everything.

Wow no way! I have been using Henna since 2007 (about 3-4 times a year) and to this day the greys I henna'd are STILL red. They've never changed color. Now the new growth is another story, that sucka still comes out white LOL

Have you tried ordering body art quality henna? Any local Indian grocery stores near you? I just purchased a box today for $1.50 up the street from my house.

Stella B.

ITA-and remember pure henna dyes the hair one color-red. Other colors like dark brown, auburn, etc. can be offered off the shelf only if its pre-mixed with something else. Not all hennas are pure BAQ. If it is mixed with other ingredients, then it is a synthetic henna. Just be careful, and like BostonMaria said, moisturize like crazy!!!!! If you want to read up on henna, a good place to start is here:http://www.mehandi.com/

SplashAtl

FYI... I sent Rainbow an email and asked what is mixed with the Henna to make the different colors. This is the reply I got:

"All of our Henna Colors are blends of Lawsonia Inermis,Indigofereae,Cassia,Camomile and Marigold. Proportions and content varies according to the color."

*Muffin*

Who has used this brand? I have :)
Did you like it? Yeah, it worked ok.
What were your results? It was ok. Nothing to really brag about. My other henna applications left my hair sort of reddish tinged. The rainbow henna darkened it a bit.
What shade did you choose or did you use neutral? I chose deep ebony.
Will I have to "sift" this brand before I mix and apply? You shouldn't, especially if you use boiling hot water. It's pretty fine powder.
I read the label and did not see PPD but the threads said that it is not BAQ henna, so is it safe? It's safe and natural. They only mix the powder with natural things to enhance color properties, not chemicals.
Based on the other henna threads and the henna websites you guys suggested, color from henna is permanent so-to-speak but Rainbow says it will wash out in 6 shampoos.
Which is true?
It depends on how dark or light your hair is. Henna does fade from hair, but if your hair is blonde it won't fade completely, if your hair is darker the color won't show as drastically. I know that henna coloring on skin fades over time.
Is henna color permanent or temporary? I'd say it's semi-permanent. It fades, but it takes a while. It's not that noticeable if you have dark hair, though.
I want to try the Dark Brown color, is it mixed with indigo? I don't think so. I think the dark brown is mixed with coffee. Not 100% sure though.
What is in it that makes it dark brown and not reddish? An added ingredient (most likely coffee) Certain herbs enhance certain properties of henna. For instance, chamomile enhances blonde and enforces light red tones, coffee or black tea brings out more brown tones, and indigo darkens hair and offsets red tones

Last edited:

nissi

Another brand of henna that you may want to try that has given me long lasting results is Avigal Henna. I have also seen good results with Colora, the powder, not the creme. Didn't like the Colora creme at all... I used Hennalucent when I was young, but it does nothing to the grays. I would probably go back to Avigal even though it's more expensive, because it does work well...

SplashAtl

Another brand of henna that you may want to try that has given me long lasting results is Avigal Henna. I have also seen good results with Colora, the powder, not the creme. Didn't like the Colora creme at all... I used Hennalucent when I was young, but it does nothing to the grays. I would probably go back to Avigal even though it's more expensive, because it does work well...

Thanks! Where do you buy the Avigal Henna or Colora powder?

nemi95

I finally decided to get my hair healthy. It was almost touching my bra in the back, but fried and crunchy. I went to Super Cuts and got myself a $15 hair cut! That was about a month ago. So it's now barely touching my shoulder and i want the length back, but i want it to stay soft.
I'm 4a/b and in transition. The last time I relaxed was in January. I did put henna in my hair, but i think i used the wrong kind because it made my hair dry & crunchy. I heard that I need to use henna for the body. Does anyone know where i can buy this in the Long Beach, Lakewood, Artesia, Cerritos area?