Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I really like banding!!! It takes waaaaaaay less time that twisting.

I accidentally fell asleep (on my satin pillow case), so I didn't get to try rebanding as a nighttime protective step. I'll try it next time.

Sometimes this hair care adventure is SO MUCH FUN! My next major adventure is henna-ing.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I really like banding!!! It takes waaaaaaay less time that twisting.

I accidentally fell asleep (on my satin pillow case), so I didn't get to try rebanding as a nighttime protective step. I'll try it next time.

Sometimes this hair care adventure is SO MUCH FUN! My next major adventure is henna-ing.
Can you please tell us your banding technique? I think I tried it in the past, but I must have done something wrong because I didn't continue doing it and if I could get it down I think it would greatly increase my styling options. Tia

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Can you please tell us your banding technique? I think I tried it in the past, but I must have done something wrong because I didn't continue doing it and if I could get it down I think it would greatly increase my styling options. Tia

I'm still getting the technique down myself! :smile: But of course I'll share my technique so far. Once I get to a computer, I'll add links to the bands I use. They are PERFECT.

I copied Naptural85's technique in the video below. Exception: I put my gel on after banding, when my hair was 90% dry. I was worried about banding gelled hair, imagining severe demarcations along each hair section once dry. That didn't work too well. :laugh: Next time I'll gel then band and see how that fares.

Here's the video demo I copied:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
After 20 years of wearing my hair natural, I still have a small patch of scab hair. It stays dry, rough, zero uniform wave or curl pattern and grabs at the rest of my hair like a thirsty dude. The only time it behaves somewhat when I spray diluted ACV on it before water washing. I am half-tempted to see a trichologist and ask, "If there is no such thing as scab hair, then what in blazes is this?" Obviously, it is some type of follicle damage, probably permanent.

If anyone wants to see of pic of this scraggly crap, let me know.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
After 20 years of wearing my hair natural, I still have a small patch of scab hair. It stays dry, rough, zero uniform wave or curl pattern and grabs at the rest of my hair like a thirsty dude. The only time it behaves somewhat when I spray diluted ACV on it before water washing. I am half-tempted to see a trichologist and ask, "If there is no such thing as scab hair, then what in blazes is this?" Obviously, it is some type of follicle damage, probably permanent.

If anyone wants to see of pic of this scraggly crap, let me know.

Wow! Now you've got me curious! I want to see what you're talking about. :look:

MzLady78

I'm starting to hate my hair.

It doesn't like ANYTHING and NOTHING works. I can't even get a decent bun out of this ish, cuz of my fuzzy a** edges. It does't matter what I use or long I keep my scarf on. Not even that Wetline gel that everyone is raving worked. And let's not even talk about the breakage that I can't seem to get under control.

I said I would never relax again, but man...IDK. It's either that or cut it all off and start over.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

It doesn't like ANYTHING and NOTHING works. I can't even get a decent bun out of this ish, cuz of my fuzzy a** edges. It does't matter what I use or long I keep my scarf on. And let's not even talk about the breakage that I can't get under control.

I said I would never relax again, but man...IDK. It's either that or cut it all off and start over.

Hugs! :kiss:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
The CJ Repair Me and SSI Okra are the same product - they have similar ingredients, they behave in a similar fashion and produce the same results (e.g., excellent slip, ridiculous moisture and softness). Get one or the other, but there's no need for both products, says the person that has three bottles of both items.:look:

I just gave away CJ Repair Me because it was doing nothing for me. I have SSI Okra up next. If all else fails, I'm back to Nexxus Keraphix

YvetteWithJoy

On break
There is a big 'ol sign on the JC Penny saying "Sephora Inside JC Penny." :look: I've never shopped, been to, or even seen a Sephora. Let's check it out! :happydance:

MzLady78

Thanks.

The crazy thing is I JUST started to embrace wearing it in a fro or puff without worrying about the curl definition (something I never had the confidence to do before), but WTF? I was so disappointed when I took that scarf off this morning and I had hair sticking up all over the place.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks.

The crazy thing is I JUST started to embrace wearing it in a fro or puff without worrying about the curl definition (something I never had the confidence to do before), but WTF? I was so disappointed when I took that scarf off this morning and I had hair sticking up all over the place.

You're a step ahead of me! I'm trying to accept that my crown won't define anymore.

Just so you know: You're not alone. I struggle with my hair a lot. I've made a pledge to try a host of things before reintroducing chemicals. If I can't learn to do my own natural hair and love it, texlaxer or relaxer it is!

When I have a day like yours today, I go in for a non-damaging flat ironing and take a break and several deep (restful :laugh:) breaths, enjoying the swing and ease of combining. :yep:

Then I reengage, fortified! Lol!

MzLady78

You're a step ahead of me! I'm trying to accept that my crown won't define anymore.

Just so you know: You're not alone. I struggle with my hair a lot. I've made a pledge to try a host of things before reintroducing chemicals. If I can't learn to do my own natural hair and love it, texlaxer or relaxer it is!

When I have a day like yours today, I go in for a non-damaging flat ironing and take a break and several deep (restful :laugh:) breaths, enjoying the swing and ease of combining. :yep:

Then I reengage, fortified! Lol!

:lol:

Funny, I was actually thinking about doing this. If I have the time this weekend, I might. If not, I may just flat twist the whole thing and give it a break from daily styling until I figure out what's next.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I need people to understand that wash day is me time. Time for me to be as lazy as I want, take as many naps as I want and do nothing but focus on my hair. It's the one fricking day a week that I get to myself and get to pamper myself. So what if I take a million naps or binge watch shows on Net.flix or stay in my pjs all day. Let me be.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen

It doesn't like ANYTHING and NOTHING works. I can't even get a decent bun out of this ish, cuz of my fuzzy a** edges. It does't matter what I use or long I keep my scarf on. Not even that Wetline gel that everyone is raving worked. And let's not even talk about the breakage that I can't seem to get under control.

Try using Hicks or Keracare Edge Tamer. Then follow with a pea sized amount of Gorilla Snot (GS), before putting your scarf on. GS is only $2.50 ish at Tar-Jay Boutique.

Your edges will be laid to the GAWDZ! :yep:

PJaye

I just gave away CJ Repair Me because it was doing nothing for me. I have SSI Okra up next. If all else fails, I'm back to Nexxus Keraphix

With the CJ and SSI, you're not going to garner "I've just had a protein treatment" results. They're more behind the scenes reconstuctors where their efficacy is shown through continued use. I like that I can use them as stand alone DCs.

imaginary

think I may have ripped some hair out at the front of my hair. Sigh. Eventually gonna get on the growth aids wagon. And may look into heat tamed hair. But with all this humidity it really doesn't make sense.

curlyTisME

Senegalese out!! I'm glad. Appointment tomorrow for a blow out and trim.

I'll get a sew in as my next protective style. Prob first week in October.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I have really been enjoying your posts. The hair forum can be really quiet, so it's fun to see someone excited about hair again.

Awwww, thanks so much! That's so nice to know. :kiss: So far I'm really enjoying being here. :smile:

I'm already making progress from what I'm learning here, and I'm grateful to be able to learn and participate. Sometimes it's just good to "surround" yourself with dynamic sisters. I love me some us! :smile: And sisters are not playin' about this hair thing, I see! :laugh: I never considered before growing my hair to my arm pits even. Now I'm starting to think BSL is a normal goal/event. :smile:

Thanks again for those words. They completely warmed my spirit. :heart:

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm still getting the technique down myself! :smile: But of course I'll share my technique so far. Once I get to a computer, I'll add links to the bands I use. They are PERFECT.

I copied Naptural85's technique in the video below. Exception: I put my gel on after banding, when my hair was 90% dry. I was worried about banding gelled hair, imagining severe demarcations along each hair section once dry. That didn't work too well. :laugh: Next time I'll gel then band and see how that fares.

Here's the video demo I copied:
Thanks so much! I'm going to try it again. :yep: