Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks so much! I'm going to try it again. :yep:

@Dayjoy,

You're more than welcome! Please let us know how it turns out. :smile:

I think the bands that Natural85 used are just fine to use. But in case you're interested, the bands I used are below. I love them because they are stretchy but feel like soft cloth.

The larger bands = baby headbands I purchased from here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I9U4GRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The smaller bands look and feel just like the baby headbands. I got them from Walmart. I can't find them online. They are clothy and not plasticy at all. They are the Ouchless brand, in a soft and clothy version, not the typical band.

Please click to enlarge:

upload_2016-8-26_1-30-52.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My most recent hair experiment before tonight's was an egg-and-oil overnight growth experiment. Fun, but I don't think it worked.

Tonight's experiment was to prepoo with ghee. (The video shared at LHCF of the lady's luxuriously moisturized locks kind of got me, along with the ghee threads here.)

Results: My hair is definitely more moisturized after prepooing with it for about 10 hours and then cleansing with DevaCurl Decadence No Poo. But I do not care for the movie-popcorn-smelling hair. :nono: I like the results a lot, but unless I can add a scent to it, I don't think I'll be moved to do it again. I'd be more moved to find something with similar or better results but that smells neutral or good.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
My most recent hair experiment before tonight's was an egg-and-oil overnight growth experiment. Fun, but I don't think it worked.

Tonight's experiment was to prepoo with ghee. (The video shared at LHCF of the lady's luxuriously moisturized locks kind of got me, along with the ghee threads here.)

Results: My hair is definitely more moisturized after prepooing with it for about 10 hours and then cleansing with DevaCurl Decadence No Poo. But I do not care for the movie-popcorn-smelling hair. :nono: I like the results a lot, but unless I can add a scent to it, I don't think I'll be moved to do it again. I'd be more moved to find something with similar or better results but that smells neutral or good.
Thanks! I was hoping you'd remember to show me which bands you use. I'm putting those on my grocery list for today. :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm starting to think that if I could only use one brand, it would be DevaCurl.

Two? I'd add on Annabelle's PerfectBlends.

Three? I think it would be either NurCreations or Darcy's Botanicals . . . but that is just based on research and reviews.

Then there are random products that really make a difference, such as Oyin Hair Dew and the SM hipo masque.

I am inspired to simplify and excited to use three months of not buying in order to hone in on techniques and products my hair loves/likes.

I just feel like there's still some good and potentially GREAT stuff I just really should trial someday, in case they're game changers for my hair: Honey's Handmades, more Qhemet products, Komaza stuff, Hydroquench Systems once CS improves, Curl Junkie, Kenra, even Ouidad.

Sigh-smile.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
No, QB used to make/sell a gel (Honeybush Tea Soft Gel) but they don't anymore. I used it a few times for Curlformers sets and I loved it.
Every time I see the bottles in the fridge, I get a little sad that I don't have more.

I'm sad, sad, sad and I've never even used it! They need to bring it baaaaack!!!!! :laugh:

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
My hair, sigh....just dry and stuff. Does beeswax dry out hair? I used a tiny bit of homemade Egyptian Magic on my strands today and wonder if beeswax buildup is bad.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My hair, sigh....just dry and stuff. Does beeswax dry out hair? I used a tiny bit of homemade Egyptian Magic on my strands today and wonder if beeswax buildup is bad.
Yes, it can, if you use it too much without clarifying. What else are you using now? What do you want to do?

kanozas

Yes, it can, if you use it too much without clarifying. What else are you using now? What do you want to do?

I don't do anything particular, wash, go. I used it just to tame some fly-aways. It's mixed in with a skin moisturizing formula of raw honey, almond oil, olive oil and a little bit of beeswax (Egyptian Magic recipe without the extra pollen and royal jelly). I'll be sure to clarify when I shampoo again. Thanks!!!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I don't do anything particular, wash, go. I used it just to tame some fly-aways. It's mixed in with a skin moisturizing formula of raw honey, almond oil, olive oil and a little bit of beeswax (Egyptian Magic recipe without the extra pollen and royal jelly).
Are you cowashing? What are you doing to seal in the water?

kanozas

Are you cowashing? What are you doing to seal in the water?

I don't co-wash and don't seal in much of anything...just that creme. Usually, I'll use a leave-in to seal down the cuticle cuz I get very frizzy. My hair is not styled lol. It's in a ponytail most times.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I feel like it would be impossible for your hair to be dry if you clarified, applied Oyin Hair Dew, and sealed with jojoba oil.

The sciencyhair blog ranks jojoba oil as an incredible sealer.

I know of very few folks who say Oyin Hair Dew (at Target) is not super moisturizing.

But every head is different!

kanozas

I feel like it would be impossible for your hair to be dry if you clarified, applied Oyin Hair Dew, and sealed with jojoba oil.

The sciencyhair blog ranks jojoba oil as an incredible sealer.

I know of very few folks who say Oyin Hair Dew (at Target) is not super moisturizing.

But every head is different!
@Sharpened

OH, wait...forgive me...I had recently hennae'd but didn't steam condition. That's probably it. Plus, this leave-in was Infusium 23 (new formula, which I hate now). It could also be the horrid humidity. I'm frizzy as hades!

kanozas

I just don't like goopy stuff. I tried Cantu custard and loved the smell and the textured feel in my hand but no matter how I used it, it left me hard and dry. Too much, it was rubbery. Too little, it was dry. I had to give it to my daughter. I honestly think it's this crazy humidity this year. Can't it also dry out your hair? You'd think it wouldn't but with all the sweating, I dunno. I'd hate to waste all this henna. Gave it up over year ago and tried to go back to it. Sigh.

Maybe I need to go back to shampooing daily with a gentle cleanser until Summer breaks or at least co-washing daily. I used to use Nature's Gate (real earthy smelling one that is brown). Loved that stuff but I'm having trouble getting it locally.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Sharpened

OH, wait...forgive me...I had recently hennae'd but didn't steam condition. That's probably it. Plus, this leave-in was Infusium 23 (new formula, which I hate now). It could also be the horrid humidity. I'm frizzy as hades!
That's a lot of protein, the henna and Infusium 23. What do you have that is more moisturizing that you can steam into your hair?

kanozas

That's a lot of protein, the henna and Infusium 23. What do you have that is more moisturizing that you can steam into your hair?

Well, I recently tried the Naturally Silk Elements Deep Moisturizing Conditioner and I love the smell and thickness of this mask. Was going to mix with raw honey and maybe some amla tea and steam. I might try it this evening. And I steam with a Turbie Twist by just microwaving the damp towel, placing it on my hair and covering with two plastic shower caps. I'll repeat it a few times.

It it weren't for these pesky greys that now frame my baby hairs...awful place to get greys lol. I wouldn't be hennae'ing much at all. Maybe I should go back to ION semi-permanentt. Struggle is real.

kanozas

So, should I clarify this beeswax out of my hair (it's just a very light layer) before steaming? It might impede the moisture getting in? I just washed this morning. Me thinks to keep the DIY Egyptian Magic for my skin from now on. I have the kind of hair that you have to get a run on the the moisture before Fall sets in or else, it's just no good all Winter.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I only see Nature's Gate in health foods stores. The website has a store locator by zip code.
Well, I recently tried the Naturally Silk Elements Deep Moisturizing Conditioner and I love the smell and thickness of this mask. Was going to mix with raw honey and maybe some amla tea and steam. I might try it this evening. And I steam with a Turbie Twist by just microwaving the damp towel, placing it on my hair and covering with two plastic shower caps. I'll repeat it a few times.

It it weren't for these pesky greys that now frame my baby hairs...awful place to get greys lol. I wouldn't be hennae'ing much at all. Maybe I should go back to ION semi-permanentt. Struggle is real.
So, should I clarify this beeswax out of my hair (it's just a very light layer) before steaming? It might impede the moisture getting in? I just washed this morning. Me thinks to keep the DIY Egyptian Magic for my skin from now on. I have the kind of hair that you have to get a run on the the moisture before Fall sets in or else, it's just no good all Winter.
Sounds good to me. Do you have a preferred oil or cream to seal in the moisture?

kanozas

I only see Nature's Gate in health foods stores. The website has a store locator by zip code.

Sounds good to me. Do you have a preferred oil or cream to seal in the moisture?

I'll do scalp pre-treatments once in awhile with JBCO, Amla, Japanese camellia but I don't usually slather on oils much. Don't like the feel.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I'll do scalp pre-treatments once in awhile with JBCO, Amla, Japanese camellia but I don't usually slather on oils much. Don't like the feel.
Understandable, I only like oils for oil washing or detangling. So you still need a cream or custard to seal everything in, right?

kanozas

Understandable, I only like oils for oil washing or detangling. So you still need a cream or custard to seal everything in, right?

Still have Mitchell's styling glaze. I thought I'd use the Infusium 23 like I used to do...no go. Formula is way off for some reason. Most of these creams are full of cones and sometimes they react weird with my hair. I haven't found a custard I like yet. I'll try one, give it a few go's then I don't like it. Think I'm going to try Blueberry Bliss and see how that is.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Still have Mitchell's styling glaze. I thought I'd use the Infusium 23 like I used to do...no go. Formula is way off for some reason. Most of these creams are full of cones and sometimes they react weird with my hair. I haven't found a custard I like yet. I'll try one, give it a few go's then I don't like it. Think I'm going to try Blueberry Bliss and see how that is.
There might be an ingredient your hair does not like. For me, I am allergic to coconut oil and it makes my hair hard and tangly... and it is in like 90% of all hair care products now.