Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Oh cool! You are in nursing/med school/residency?

I am currently agonising over my research project so I can finish this durn residency programme.
Nursing school. My last year thank God. I've got 2 papers and a video project that I'm not looking forward to. I'm dreading the projects I'll have to do for my when I got back for my next degree. Good luck with your project!

beingofserenity

I made a commitment to use oil on my hair regularly because it helps to detangle and add slip to my hair. I've been using Doo Gro oil, lol, because it was around and it's light enough that I can use everyday and it smells good. Just realized it has mineral oil. I won't be shunning mineral oil products going forward. I like switching around too much to be spending money on expensive hair products if cheap stuff works too.

Royalq

As a tangent to this - when I first started my hair journey and joined the board the 'in-thing' was no-heat/indirect heat and I battled with SSKs and length retention with that as part of my regime. Now I incorporate direct heat once every 6 weeks and my hair is much happier.
Hmm, please continue. What's your full regimen? How do you style? I've been miserable because of ssks for the past 4 years. I didn't have them when i was a twa. I can't part my hair without my ends tangling around an ssk, I can't cornrow because the ends get tangled, detangling is a mess. Even blow drying is difficult because the asks ball up at the ends a break other strands and make the blow out look ugly.

Honey Bee

So... my hair life is very boring nowadays. I've been ps'ing in wigs and crochet braids since the summer of 2015 and intend to do so until spring 2017 (growing out a tapered cut, skipping the awkward stage). Anyway, I'm about to use straighter hair than usual, but I want it to last throughout the holidays. I think this video is the answer- how to freshen up the part/ edges.

Hth somebody!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I told myself that I'm not the type to venture into mixtress land. These products look so yummy and the prices so yucky, that I'm finding myself reconsidering. :look:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/275314...roducts-slayed-pomade?ref=shop_home_active_11

The ingredients for the clay poo:

-Distilled Water
-Coconut Cream (moisturizing protein that stimulates hair growth)
-Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (prevents hair loss and damage)
-Moroccan Rhassoul Clay (cleanses, removing impurities, and leaves hair bouncy and voluminous)
-Raw Organic Cocoa Powder (increasing blood circulation in your scalp, increasing the growth of healthy and lustrous locks)
-Avocado Oil (moisturizing, strengthening, natural SPF and easily absorbed into the hair and scalp. Containing vitamins A, B, D, E, protein, amino acids, iron, copper, magnesium, and folic acid which is beneficial for hair growth and restoring scalp health).
-Vegetable Glycerin (provides long lasting moisture)
-Aloe Vera (Promote hair growth, anti-inflammatory, reduces dandruff, conditions hair and scalp, anti-fungal)
-Panthenol (Moisturizes, Tames Frizz)
-Murumuru Butter (Controls Frizz, Enhances Curl, Softens, Adds gloss and Sheen)
-Jojoba Oil (reduces hair loss, increases hair growth, moisturizes and conditions)
-Silk Amino Acids (Strengthens, conditions, repairs damaged hair)
-Behentrimonium Methosulfate (Naturally detangles, moisturizer, and conditioner)
-Peppermint oil (anti dandruff, promotes hair growth, smells delish)

Aggie

It felt good putting a package together to give away. I need to do this more often, especially since I'm quickly running out space with my new purchases. I need time to check it though, so definitely I will not be doing that tonight, nuh uh:nono:!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It felt good putting a package together to give away. I need to do this more often, especially since I'm quickly running out space with my new purchases. I need time to check it though, so definitely I will not be doing that tonight, nuh uh:nono:!

Agreed! Feels good for so many reasons. I'm imagining the women at the shelter being pleasantly surprised to see more than just OTG products, but products they may have been thinking about that were online only. I really hope the donated products get good use! (I'll never really know. :smile:) Regardless, it's so much better for the products to have a good chance to be used by people who like/love them than to be definitely sitting collecting dust and staring back at me from my shelves. :yep:

Aggie

Agreed! Feels good for so many reasons. I'm imagining the women at the shelter being pleasantly surprised to see more than just OTG products, but products they may have been thinking about that were online only. I really hope the donated products get good use! (I'll never really know. :smile:) Regardless, it's so much better for the products to have a good chance to be used by people who like/love them than to be definitely sitting collecting dust and staring back at me from my shelves. :yep:

I totally agree...It is much better knowing someone will get to use tham rather than let them spoil and waste.

PJaye

I recommend checking with your local shelters with regard to their guidelines for donations because many will not accept used products, for obvious reasons.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I recommend checking with your local shelters with regard to their guidelines for donations because many will not accept used products, for obvious reasons.

I checked already! The shelter's website and the administrator both said "gently used" hair products are needed. I'm skeptical, but it's my best option: I tried contacting the Nappiology group near me to suggest adding product exchanges to the activities, I tried getting a LHCF Dallas meetup . . . I hope the shelter uses them, but I would TOTALLY understand if they tossed them. I personally wouldn't use a stranger's used hair products 'cause I get paranoid about stuff sometimes :smile:, but for those who don't care, I hope they benefit.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Awesome, peaceful FULL detangling session! Wow! Weeeeeeeeeee!

I'll try to share details in the Detangling 2016 thread.

Brief description:

On DRY hair pineappled overnight in 4 sections banded at the end of each pineappled ponytail:

1. Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide
2. Soultanicals oil dressing
3. Light flairosol bottle spritz of water
4. Funnel method: Wet Brush, comb, finer-toothed comb
5. Retwist into 8 twists and pin them stretched/wrapped around head for a chunky twist out (used easy plastic pin in pic [8 of them] instead of bobby pins)

Each quadrant took an average of 12-13 minutes to detangle. Hair loss was MINIMAL. Hair felt LOVELY and smelled DELISH!

Attachments

• WP_20161024_014.jpg
    WP_20161024_014.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 38
  • WP_20161026_002.jpg
    WP_20161026_002.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 35