Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Bad&Bougee

I noticed I don't have these nape issues when I didn't sleep wth a bonnet nightly. So by bye bonnets. Hopefully I like the pillowcase I ordered. I'm going to trial a few before I stock up. I don't think I'll ever wear a bonnet again.
Ladies, have you all bought silk pillowcases or scarves from Pretty Anntoinets? She is a little on the expensive side but the items are high quality, unique and beautiful. I order a new pillowcase and scarf as a Christmas present for myself each year. If you haven't visited the site before, check it out.

http://www.prettyanntoinets.com/

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Would you pay $35 for 8 ounces of product plus shipping, or $12 for 2 ounces plus shipping? I really wonder if Especially Hair will survive. I can't imagine they have very many sales.

Back story in next post . . .

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So, there was a time when NOTHING I did would moisturize my hair. During that time, I was a purchasing little somebody in a desperate search for ANYTHING that would work.

I promised this board that I would not purchase a product called Moisture Foundation by Especially Hair, but I didn't keep my promise and got a sample anyway. Well, I realized later that the sun might have gotten to my product during delivery, because that sample was rank-smelling. At the time I just thought it simply didn't smell good, and I put a little on my bang anyway. That's how desperate I was to find anything to moisturize my chronically dry hair.

My Moisture Foundation -drenched bang felt amaze-balls. My husband even commented on how juicy that section of my hair looked. So, I went to great lengths to see if there was anything that could be done about the crazy smell and just as crazy price. I was told "no" and "no." They explained how important their signature scent is to the product. I explained that my sample (which they provided to me special because they didn't have samples at the time) may have gotten rank during transit or something. They said that they would be considering making samples available in the future. I put Especially Hair out of my mind and continued searching for moisture.

So later Especially Hair sends me a long survey. I fill it out diligently, to provide answers as help for them as a company. I explain in very nice words that I will never purchase their product at such a crazy price: If it's bad, I'll be mad. If it's good, I won't be able to purchase/afford any more of it. So why even get started? LOL. When they asked me about other products I used, I mentioned the vendors I purchase from who work with me on the scent thing and charge waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less.

Fast forward a few months. So this past week I've been getting emails saying, "We're prepared to give you a lifetime 10% discount, but we're going up on the price." Mmkay. Then TODAY I get an email saying they are going to be working on the scenting, detangle-ability, and ease-of-application of their products. Stay tuned.

Um, no. Good luck with that, and buh bye.

JerriBlank

I noticed I don't have these nape issues when I didn't sleep wth a bonnet nightly. So by bye bonnets. Hopefully I like the pillowcase I ordered. I'm going to trial a few before I stock up. I don't think I'll ever wear a bonnet again.

I'm embarrassed to admit the amount of time that elapsed before I connected the dots and realized that my trusty silk scarf is the issue. :sad:
But yeah, what you said.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My plan this year was to trial to a feeling of satisfaction for the FIRST quarter of the year (so that I could identify highly effective products), and then only re-up on ID'ed highly effective products for the remaining quarters of the year.

I'm quite happy with my discoveries of the 22nd Century Natural Woman Shampoo Bar, Qhemet CTDG, CRN Coconut Water deep treatment, and the Curl Prep Curl Crush Around the Way Gel. I can't wait to try the Curl Junkie smoothing lotion and Sheaterra Mud-Poo I have because I think these products will round out everything nicely. I really hope this feeling of product satiety/satisfaction lasts! :pray:

It's almost time for the 2nd quarter to start. This is good timing: On average I've spent $135/month on hair-related items and services, including all products and wigs and tools and salon visits.

I am CERTAIN I can get that down to about $50/month or less, quite easily, for the rest of the year. I'm going to try to redirect my trialing focus/energy into ends-care focus/energy, styling focus/energy, and retention focus/energy.

Aggie

Hi, @Aggie! :wave:

How do you rank the Bekura Tonga Mousse among your other moisturizers? How moisturizing is it? I smelled some at Hattahe' and :drool:. It looked so moisturizing and emollient.

@YvetteWithJoy

That's exactly what it is - moisturizing AND emollient. That's how I like my moisturizers. It's a leave-in but I use it as a moisturizer. Leaves my hair quite happy I might add.

The only products from Bekura that I would buy again are the Tonga Mousse, Honey Latte, and the Body Butters especially the Lemon Beignet one. The YAM Nectar is nice too but really too expensive for the amount of product you get. I have one back-up that I will use sparingly.

When the Yam Nectar is done, I will consider buying raw honey to add to my difficult to spread conditioners instead.

trueheartofgold

@YvetteWithJoy Hello! I forgot to ask you if you still use the Komaza Protein Strengthener. If so, does it work really well? Does it have slip? Also, how many uses did you get from one bottle?

If you don't use it at the moment do you mind answering the questions?

I asked you this before but I don't remember which thread: how often do you use the Netwurks spray? Did you use it only on your edges or on your scalp as well?

As always thank you! :bighug:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Hello! I forgot to ask you if you still use the Komaza Protein Strengthener. If so, does it work really well? Does it have slip? Also, how many uses did you get from one bottle?

If you don't use it at the moment do you mind answering the questions?

I asked you this before but I don't remember which thread: how often do you use the Netwurks spray? Did you use it only on your edges or on your scalp as well?

As always thank you! :bighug:

Hi, ladybug!

I still use the Komaza. It works for me VERY, VERY well. I ran off to Atlanta without it. :cry3:So I'm trying Colorful Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's while I'm here.

These last 2 months I haven't been very consistent with my hair regimen: I've been trying to meet my deadline to submit my thesis, and I've been so stressed out (burnt out) about it that I would type for 10 minutes, then browse LHCF for 5 minutes, then type for 10 minutes, then browse LHCF for 5 minutes. Needless to say, I haven't been prioritizing my hair care as I've been in survival mode.

So, I haven't been using my Netwurks spray like I should, and I missed a scheduled protein treatment. When I use the Netwurks spray, I spray it on my edges every day, and I put it in a color applicator bottle to apply to my scalp on wash days. I saw some progress in the short time I was using it. I'll get back on it once I recover from submitting! ;)

I've used the Komaza twice, and I don't remember being floored by the slip, but it might be really good, I can't remember. I remember being taking aback by how rubbery my hair felt after using it, but once I did a moisturizing DC afterwards, then my hair looked better than it EVER HAD EVER.

I think this was the key: I detangled and chunky twisted, then I chelated/clarified twist by twist so my hair wouldn't tangle again, then I applied the Komaza twist by twist to completely dry hair, then I did my moisturizing DC and steamed it in. So when I did my protein treatment, there was NOTHING in/on my strands to block its ingredients.

I really feel like that "fixed" my hair. Afterwards, I was able to moisturize my hair with products that had NEVER worked before.

trueheartofgold

Hi, ladybug!

I still use the Komaza. It works for me VERY, VERY well. I ran off to Atlanta without it. :cry3:So I'm trying Colorful Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's while I'm here.

These last 2 months I haven't been very consistent with my hair regimen: I've been trying to meet my deadline to submit my thesis, and I've been so stressed out (burnt out) about it that I would type for 10 minutes, then browse LHCF for 5 minutes, then type for 10 minutes, then browse LHCF for 5 minutes. Needless to say, I haven't been prioritizing my hair care as I've been in survival mode.

So, I haven't been using my Netwurks spray like I should, and I missed a scheduled protein treatment. When I use the Netwurks spray, I spray it on my edges every day, and I put it in a color applicator bottle to apply to my scalp on wash days. I saw some progress in the short time I was using it. I'll get back on it once I recover from submitting! ;)

I've used the Komaza twice, and I don't remember being floored by the slip, but it might be really good, I can't remember. I remember being taking aback by how rubbery my hair felt after using it, but once I did a moisturizing DC afterwards, then my hair looked better than it EVER HAD EVER.

I think this was the key: I detangled and chunky twisted, then I chelated/clarified twist by twist so my hair wouldn't tangle again, then I applied the Komaza twist by twist to completely dry hair, then I did my moisturizing DC and steamed it in. So when I did my protein treatment, there was NOTHING in/on my strands to block its ingredients.

I really feel like that "fixed" my hair. Afterwards, I was able to moisturize my hair with products that had NEVER worked before.

Thanks so much for replying! What do you mean by "rubbery?" And you're saying to follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner? I'm asking because they don't have that in the directions on their website.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks so much for replying! What do you mean by "rubbery?" And you're saying to follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner? I'm asking because they don't have that in the directions on their website.

YW! :kiss:

Right after the Komaza treatment, my hair felt strangely coated with something, and it when I touched and pulled on my hair, it felt like that something was rubber. When I rubbed my hair between my fingers, my hair felt rubbery.

A few ladies here said the same thing happened with them, but that all was okay after they followed up with a moisturizing DC.

I've learned from this forum and YouTube that it is important to follow up a protein treatment with a moisturizing treatment.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
How is the SheScentIt Sugar Peach Super Moist Conditioner?
How is the SheScentIt Green Tea & Ginseng Co-wash?
TIA!

I've used the GT&G for a moisture boost (there's nothing cleansing in it). It's really nice. Left my hair soft & moisturized and had good slip.
I've only used the Sugar Peach once for some detangling so I can't speak to lasting effects of it but it was nice for the brief moment I used it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've used the GT&G for a moisture boost (there's nothing cleansing in it). It's really nice. Left my hair soft & moisturized and had good slip,
I've only used the Sugar Peach once for some detangling so I can't speak to lasting effects of it but it was nice for the brief moment I used it.

Phew! Thanks for the review. You SAVED me :lol: