Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Anaisin

They should just call this a silicone serum tbh. Either way I like it. Lightweight and actually gives shine. A lot of these serums are so useless. It's more at the middle of the ingredients list on this product but I'm guessing my hair likes Moringa. I've been loving the Mane Choice duo too

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
If I can get away with wearing five, Celie-style twists this week, I will.:antlers:
Well, so much for that! I forgot I had a bunch of events today, so I unravelled them. They were about 99% dry, and I am not sure what to call this. Stretched wash and go twist-out? I actually like this one better than the first one. No styling product in my hair, so let's see how long it lasts...

Five different gels and I barely use any. I just prefer the feel of my own hair, frizz be cursed.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Never ordered from Hattache but to my understanding, they just recently in the last year or two opened their store. So I'm assuming they still have whatever system they used for online orders before opening a store but again I don't order from them so I'm not sure..
@KinksAndInk
Hattache is great. Super fast shipping. Excellent CS. The products I've ordered have been sealed and well protected from wandering dippin' fangas.:naughty: *no worries*

YvetteWithJoy

On break
When it rained yesterday, my practice flexirod set that hadn't had the chance to fully dry blew up into a puffball in many areas on my head. I had no clue and was just runnin' errands all over the metroplex looking like I was looking! :lachen:

I drop by the house, see my situation, and hastily throw it into a high puff. Power goes out due to the storm, so husband and I head to Target to do a little grocery shopping.

Husband: Get under this umbrella while we try to get into the car in this downpour.

Me (proud): I need no umbrella, MAN. My hair is NATCHAL!!! Youuuuuuu need the umbrella. (smirk)

Husband: What are you talkinabout?!?? I'm "natural." Idon'tIdon't . . . Idon't know what you mean right now."

At Target, I catch a glimpse of my hair out of the corner of my eye, in the Target Optometrist mirror.

Me: HONEY!!! Whyyyyyyyyyyy have you let me roll around in this Target like this!!!!!!?????"

Husband: Yvette, you wear your hair out like that frequently. I don't know what I'm supposed to say right now.

Me (huffing): No, I do not! I look like Lady Liberty right now! Huuuuuuuuh!!!! (pursing my lips at him)

Yeeeaaah. So today I am wearing a ponytail. Used Mielle edge gel (first time ever using / leaving in edge gel). My 4a coils at the edges look like little waves with this gel, and it smells great near my nose and everything. :up:

* wear my hair like that frequently. sucks teeth*

Pygmy_puff

Same here, I can french braid and do flat twists, but I want to learn how to dutch braid.

Go for it! I grew up an only daughter with a pretty style challenged mother (sorry mom, but it's true!) so I never learned how to do anything besides regular "loose" plaits/braids. I taught myself to cornrow, French braid and flat twist by watching YouTube videos and practicing on myself. It took almost a year before I could do a decent set of 'rows on my head, but the struggle was worth it! Once you can braid/twist your own hair the way you want your protective style options multiply so much!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I switched to individual twists under my wig vs flat twists.
My hair seems more moisturized, and distributing oil to my scalp is much easier.

Although it took longer to do the individual small twists, I think I will continue this route until July 1.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
WP_20170418_038.jpg
(enlarges upon click)

Last purchase for the month: Two spools of elastic ribbon/trim from Hobby Lobby to make the banding bands Naptural85 uses to yield a stretched wash and go. They were 50% off. They had tons of colors.

The Trollis are for the 7-year old. It's testing week, and these are his favorite. ;)

Naptural85's banding method:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Has anyone ever mixed oil and gel together? If so, what were your results and does the type of oil matter?
I've layered them. Decent shine and hold without crunch. But I used flaxseed gel.
IMG_9301.JPG

ETA. When I did it without oil or gel, it puffed up. I did it over with both and this was the end result. It stayed for about 4 days. I did have to retwist, but they didn't puff or frizz

Last edited:

Jade Feria

I'm gonna stop using the Wig Grip band and go back to using clips. Seems like the band is hindering the growth of my edges, which I'm trying to nurse after postpartum shedding.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
DH did not say anything about my hair, which means he did not like it. He complained for years about me not styling my hair (other than the puff, he loves the puff) and now… Oh well, I may make it a regular style, no matter now messy it is, and force him to adapt. All he needs to hear is two people complementing my hair, and he is toast, extra crunchy. :giggle:

Great sources for copper: chocolate and blackstrap molasses. I prefer the chocolate. I want to do a cocoa (or cacao) hair mask, not because of any hair health benefit, but I want to smell like chocolate for a minute.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Has anyone ever mixed oil and gel together? If so, what were your results and does the type of oil matter?

I do this all the time. In fact, my staple "moisturizer" is Wetline gel mixed with olive oil.

When I add a little oil, I get hold with less crunch which works well for my WnGs (approx. 1.5 cups gel + 2 tbsp oil). When I use more oil in my gel, I get very soft hold and my hair feels more moisturized, which works well for protective/low manipulation styles like loose braids, twists, and buns (approx. 1.5 cups of gel + 1/4 cup of oil).

I've only tried it with avocado oil and olive oil. Both oils worked well in the mix.

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Sharpened
How would you whip this up?

Not that I'm interesting in making it*cough* :look: I am asking for A. Friend.:lol:
Yeah, friend, mm-hm... Here is one way:

...and another...

...and another...

Just starting off, I planned to mix the powder with melted babassu oil and maybe a little blackstrap molasses. Wet hair, apply, let sit for at least an hour, and rinse.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I do this all the time. In fact, my staple "moisturizer" is Wetline gel mixed with olive oil.

When I add a little oil, I get hold with less crunch which works well for my WnGs (approx. 1.5 cups gel + 2 tbsp oil). When I use more oil in my gel, I get very soft hold and my hair feels more moisturized, which works well for protective/low manipulation styles like loose braids, twists, and buns (approx. 1.5 cups of gel + 1/4 cup of oil).

I've only tried it with avocado oil and olive oil. Both oils worked well in the mix.
Also, using the gel/oil mix doesn't give me the buildup that traditional moisturizers do.
Taking notes...