Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I just watch a Youtube video of a woman who had not washed her hair in six months. The amount of debris, caked up gel in her braids was off the chain. She said she was busy and she wears wigs all the time. So her hair is constantly under a wig cap. I was grossed out and fascinated at the same watching.
:barf: Link so we can all see this triffling.....How do you go six months. She mine as well shave it all off if she doesn't want to take care of it and just wears a wig anyway. Why on earth would you share something like that with the world?

Evolving78

The only cowash cleanser I thought was decent was As I Am. I don't need anymore moisture for my hair, but have been trying to find something my DD could use in the shower a couple of times a week for a wash n go.

Oh and that Cantu ACV rinse had her scalp burning.

i tried the Macadamia Oil repair masque. I will be getting the bigger jar. My hair feels soft and hydrated. Now I need a good protein masque.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Length check shirts.

I had to try to do a DIY: I only want a both-front-and-back-measuring one, and I could only find one like that in the U.K.

Issues: My DIY shirt's material is stretchy. :rolleyes: Yeah: I figured out the issue with that AFTER donning it. :lol:

I'm starting to think it is more effective to just use a measuring tape. :smile:

(Photos enlarge upon click.)

WP_20170526_108copy.png WP_20170526_101.jpg

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Here you go

Lissa0821

She's disgusting. All that hair is wasted on her
I did watch the video she made in response to the comments she receive from this video. She rolling her eyes, being stank and sarcastic about what was said. She stands by the notion her hair benefited from not being washed. She looked like a straight clown to me, I had a good laugh on her behalf.

PJaye

The only cowash cleanser I thought was decent was As I Am. I don't need anymore moisture for my hair, but have been trying to find something my DD could use in the shower a couple of times a week for a wash n go.

i tried the Macadamia Oil repair masque. I will be getting the bigger jar. My hair feels soft and hydrated. Now I need a good protein masque.

Have you tried the Eden Body Works or Jane Carter Cowashes?

Evolving78

I did watch the video she made in response to the comments she receive from this video. She rolling her eyes, being stank and sarcastic about what was said. She stands by the notion her hair benefited from not being washed. She looked like a straight clown to me, I had a good laugh on her behalf.
She has to be depressed. She goes too long washing her hair period. That's why her skin is not healthy either.
She needs to cut her hair. It's obviously too much for her to handle.

PJaye

No I haven't. Most of the ones I have tried are stripping. They feel nice going on, but once they are rinsed out, the hair feels dry. That's why I just stick with shampoos for our hair. We both have low porosity hair. Hers is more low than mine, since I'm chemically treated.

Although I'm not lo-po, my hair becomes easily stripped by cleansers; so I need something very mild that's ultra softening and moisturizing while providing an incredible amount of slip. That's a huge task for all but a small number of cleansers, and the ones I listed above fit that bill and perform stupendously. I highly recommend all three.

Alma Petra

How was your experience with the As I Am Cowash? Did you find it stripping?

Alma Petra

Although I'm not lo-po, my hair becomes easily stripped by cleansers; so I need something very mild that's ultra softening and moisturizing while providing an incredible amount of slip. That's a huge task for all but a small number of cleansers, and the ones I listed above fit that bill and perform stupendously. I highly recommend all three.

How do the three compare to each other from your experience?

PJaye

How do the three compare to each other from your experience?

My experiences are as follows:

JC Conditioning & Cleansing Cowash – has a thick, creamy consistency; feels very emollient during application, like a highly effective DC; offers excellent slip; cleans, softens and moisturizes well (cons: none)

JC Creamy Cleansing Conditioner – has a thick, creamy consistency with excellent slip; applies very well; cleansed deeply without stripping; softened and moisturized well (possible cons: gives good moisture, but not as moisturizing as the aforementioned JC Cowash; comes in a bottle with a pump)

JC Curls to Go Cowash - has a very thin, creamy consistency; applies easily; offers a ridiculous amount of slip; cleans, softens and moisturizes well (possible cons: gave good softness, but to a lesser degree than the previous two JC cleansers; contains a cone)

Eden Body Works Cowash - has a thinner, creamy consistency; applies very well; offers excellent slip; cleans and softens well (possible cons: contains a protein; moisturizes and softens to a lesser degree than the JC cleansers)

FWIW: As I Am Coconut CoWash – has a thick, creamy consistency; applies and cleanses well; offers OK slip; produces subpar moisture; offers no softness whatsoever (possible con: have to add a gaggle of oil in order to increase its effectiveness). HTH!

Evolving78

How was your experience with the As I Am Cowash? Did you find it stripping?
It was ok. Not something I would buy again and it comes in a jar..
The Silk Dreams shampoo is the most gentle shampoo I have ever used in my life. It doesn't sud at all. It may foam a bit. But it leaves your hair feeling very soft, hydrated, and helps with detangling. You can't get it on the ground, but I would order it. You can't go wrong. I'm very big on sulfates and I love suds. But none of my shampoos are stripping. I don't have oily hair either. I just get product buildup easily.
The owner is moderator Supergirl.
If you are looking for something on the ground, try Mielle organics shampoo, mane choice, design essentials avocado detangling shampoo. These are gentle, will provide slip and moisture. Co cleansers seems to just leave something undesirable behind for me. I didn't care for WEN either, but that seems to work for others. WEN left my hair feeling stripped.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I finally tried a shampoo bar and I'm blown away. It cleansed my hair while providing plenty of slip so that I was able to detangle my hair. It was very moisturizing, almost like I was using conditioner in my hair rather than shampoo. It left my hair extremely soft. I used coconut oil as a leave in after rinsing the shampoo bar suds from my hair. I used the J.R. Liggett's Jojoba and Peppermint Shampoo Bar. It smells wonderfully of peppermint.

Thanks for sharing. I want to try this. Where did you purchase it?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I finally tried a shampoo bar and I'm blown away. It cleansed my hair while providing plenty of slip so that I was able to detangle my hair. It was very moisturizing, almost like I was using conditioner in my hair rather than shampoo. It left my hair extremely soft. I used coconut oil as a leave in after rinsing the shampoo bar suds from my hair. I used the J.R. Liggett's Jojoba and Peppermint Shampoo Bar. It smells wonderfully of peppermint.

@CurlyMoo, I ordered samples of several of the different versions of this shampoo bar (from the brand's website). I will compare them to the 22nd Century Shampooo Bar and try to remember to let you know how they compare.

I'm on the hunt for a comparable alternative. Just in case. ;)

LushLox

:barf: Link so we can all see this triffling.....How do you go six months. She mine as well shave it all off if she doesn't want to take care of it and just wears a wig anyway. Why on earth would you share something like that with the world?

Slightly aside I keep hearing about people who don't shampoo, don't co-wash just wash their hair with hot/warm water and apparently their hair is thriving; shiny, healthy etc. Maybe I'm being conned but I do like the feel of a cleanser on my scalp, water on it's own is not going to do it.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
She has to be depressed. She goes too long washing her hair period. That's why her skin is not healthy either.
She needs to cut her hair. It's obviously too much for her to handle.

Nah. She just doesn't care. Her entire attitude is "whatever". She just probably doesn't take care of herself overall.

Also, she said she doesn't know when she will get the time to even do a video or wash and she was sick so "since she had the time". She doesn't make time for herself.

Lissa0821

Scust :barf:

I'm going to be the minority on this one.... she's trying to make a point that I don't think she knows she's making. Like a good experiment poorly executed.

I actually agree with you. My takeaway from this video is that her hair was not harmed by not washing it for six months. She had a good amount of new growth. It's just a gross concept. There is no way her hair did not smell. Can you imagine how dirty the water was when she finally washed it.

Last edited:

Alma Petra

My experiences are as follows:

JC Conditioning & Cleansing Cowash – has a thick, creamy consistency; feels very emollient during application, like a highly effective DC; offers excellent slip; cleans, softens and moisturizes well (cons: none)

JC Creamy Cleansing Conditioner – has a thick, creamy consistency with excellent slip; applies very well; cleansed deeply without stripping; softened and moisturized well (possible cons: gives good moisture, but not as moisturizing as the aforementioned JC Cowash; comes in a bottle with a pump)

JC Curls to Go Cowash - has a very thin, creamy consistency; applies easily; offers a ridiculous amount of slip; cleans, softens and moisturizes well (possible cons: gave good softness, but to a lesser degree than the previous two JC cleansers; contains a cone)

Eden Body Works Cowash - has a thinner, creamy consistency; applies very well; offers excellent slip; cleans and softens well (possible cons: contains a protein; moisturizes and softens to a lesser degree than the JC cleansers)

FWIW: As I Am Coconut CoWash – has a thick, creamy consistency; applies and cleanses well; offers OK slip; produces subpar moisture; offers no softness whatsoever (possible con: have to add a gaggle of oil in order to increase its effectiveness). HTH!

This is a great review! :flowers:so much!

I am now super tempted to try that first Jane Carter Conditioning and Cleansing Cowash you mentioned. I will try to look for a way to get it to ship to me in Ireland.

Meanwhile I think I'll grab the As I Am Cowash since it's easy to get my hands on. I will report back with my results.

It was ok. Not something I would buy again and it comes in a jar..
The Silk Dreams shampoo is the most gentle shampoo I have ever used in my life. It doesn't sud at all. It may foam a bit. But it leaves your hair feeling very soft, hydrated, and helps with detangling. You can't get it on the ground, but I would order it. You can't go wrong. I'm very big on sulfates and I love suds. But none of my shampoos are stripping. I don't have oily hair either. I just get product buildup easily.
The owner is moderator Supergirl.
If you are looking for something on the ground, try Mielle organics shampoo, mane choice, design essentials avocado detangling shampoo. These are gentle, will provide slip and moisture. Co cleansers seems to just leave something undesirable behind for me. I didn't care for WEN either, but that seems to work for others. WEN left my hair feeling stripped.

Mielle Organics actually have a detangling cowash cleanser. Have you tried it?

Another candidate is the Camille Rose Naturals Caramel Cowash. Has anyone of you ladies tried it?

Alma Petra

@CurlyMoo, I ordered samples of several of the different versions of this shampoo bar (from the brand's website). I will compare them to the 22nd Century Shampooo Bar and try to remember to let you know how they compare.

I'm on the hunt for a comparable alternative. Just in case. ;)

Yes pleaaaase do that! When I read about this bar, I immediatelly remembered your enticing review about the 22nd Century bar and I wondered how it would compare to that one. Can't wait to hear what you think. Btw can the 22nd C W shampoo bar be used on a daily basis or would it be too stripping for that?

And I have another question for your kind self: do you have any idea how the CRN penetrating DC would compare to Mielle's Babassu DC?

TIA!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I actually agree with you. My takeaway from this video is that her hair was not harmed by not washing it for six months. She had a good amount of new growth. It's just a gross concept. There is no way her hair did not smell. Can you imagine how dirty the water was when she finally washed it.

I look at water only washing (WoW) that doesn't use shampoo. Another poster mentioned it yesterday I believe. It's mainly allowing the hair to rely on its own sebum production. The girl in the video seemed to have good growth, her hair was not dry and her shedding seemed pretty normal. I thought it would be more. Her new growth even looked healthy. Her hair looked healthy.

In contrast, with WoW, there is still some kind of rinsing. Care to the hair. She made a good point, but it's not like it was intentional. She was just gross and felt it was okay. I can also imagine what it took to clean her hair.