Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

YvetteWithJoy

On break
You ever read or watch someone's wash day routine and instantly get tired? Like full on, need a nap tired. If my wash day ever becomes that... involved :look:...I'm shaving my head.

Nope.

I'm just grateful to have hair and to have reached my goal to get my wash day under 3 hours. Moving on to trying to get it under 2.5 hours now.

I started out watching Naptural85, so that kind of set a baseline for me to see a few steps.

And . . . There's a lady on YouTube with very long 4c hair and she has like a 2-day I don't know how many hours wash day routine:
It's the longest, most involved hair routine I've ever seen. She defends herself as she's doing demoing and explaining it, I'm sure realizing that people are going to comment and beat her up, roll their eyes, tire and comment about it, etc.

It never occurred to me to allow myself to tire over what she does to her own hair. I don't feel I can judge: I don't have her hands, skill set, or exact hair density, strand thinness, hair texture, etc. I don't know if she's having a blast watching TV while she DCs, or if she's learned that things just go better if she spreads things out over 2 days or what.​

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I'm done air drying and my hair feels so good I want to cry. It feels like...like.....my scene of yarn?
...wool, ok it feels like wool. Looks like it too.

DC'ed with Hollywood Beauty cholesterol and added some hydrolized keratin and hydrolized wheat protein. Was under heat cap for an hour or so. Just put some Wild Growth Oil on lol.
I'm tryna make goals y'all.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Why oh why did I wait until midnight to start taking these braids out. Now I don't feel like finishing. I'm also supposed to be at spin class in the morning. o_O

Skip the spin class, hair is more important.

*Rolls over in bed, with bonnet on*

:spank: @AdoraAdora24! :kiss:

@Coilystep, maybe if you can wear something on your head (large hat?) and do the spin class, you'll come back blood pumping to strongly finish your de-braiding.

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Skip the spin class, hair is more important.

*Rolls over in bed, with bonnet on*
:spank: @AdoraAdora24! :kiss:

@Coilystep, maybe if you can wear something on your head (large hat?) and do the spin class, you'll come back blood pumping to strongly finish your de-braiding.
Well I fell asleep. I'm back up now back at it. I hope to be done in time for spin class. I really must go considering I skipped yesterday.

@AdoraAdora24 healthy body healthy hair. So exercise and eating right are a huge component to my hair journey.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Why do cheap white owned/black marketed products smell so badly? Either a strong perfume smell or it simply stinks. Vo5, Suave and them have decent fragrances.
You are not going to like the answer: the frequency of hair washing tradition. The black vendors know that most of their customers are washing more frequently, using their bloody expensive product and scent according.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I was looking at my pictures of my natural hair before I started bkting and I question why I didn't like my hair back then. It was hard to deal with but it definitely had more life

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I made a buy I felt was "strategic" but was not! It's my fault: I didn't run every single ingredient through the little safety database.

So now I'm thinking about having PayPal cancel it, since it hasn't been shipped and the company said they'll get back to me TUESDAY.

Will PayPal be okay with that, I wonder.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I made a buy I felt was "strategic" but was not! It's my fault: I didn't run every single ingredient through the little safety database.

So now I'm thinking about having PayPal cancel it, since it hasn't been shipped and the company said they'll get back to me TUESDAY.

Will PayPal be okay with that, I wonder.
What product and what ingredient?

niknakmac

Let me tell yall about my hair this morning.....

Yesterday I wet my hair added some setting lotion and she butter to my hair and braided it up for a braid out this morning. Why did I wake up this morning with hair that was still wet? I sat under the dryer for 30 minutes and then started taking them down....why tf was my hair still wet? I had to take them down at this point and get on with my day. The pattern looked really pretty but humidty plus damp hair meant that my hair would blow up by the time I parked my car and walked into the office. Parking is about a block away.

I am blaming the lottabody texturizing setting lotion. It was my first time using it and I think it just kept my hair wet . I loved the soft defintion but I don't have 2 days to wait for my hair to dry. I will stick with the foaming mousse. What does all this mean? I will have to do my hair again...tomorrow or wednesday. This sucks because i like doing my hair only once a week and then letting the style evolve.

Oh what time did I get to the office today? 10:30! Soooo late.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What product and what ingredient?

It's the linked HairRules product: https://hairrules.com/products/kinky-curling-cream.

One of the ingredients toward the end behaves like formaldehyde. Can't remember which: I was copying and pasting from the list to check safety, and one was not good at all. I was going to deal with the mineral oil, 'cones, etc.

The company gave me a refund, though, so it turned out alright. :up:

ETA: I forgot that I did not use PayPal. So glad for the refund before the product was shipped and needed returning.

Last edited:

melahnee

I saw my cousin's stupid wife for the first time since I cut my hair... she looked at me with the dumbest look(the kind that makes you wanna slap a B) and said.. WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR LONG, BLONDE HAIR??
I said........... obviously I cut it. She said why?? Umm cause I wanted to, obviously :rolleyes:
She was like omg, what did you do? What were you thinking?! Staring at me like I had made the dumbest decision in my entire life!
I looked at her when an equally dumb look and said girl please, what have you done to YOUR hair? Cut that matted mess off already and get over my hair. :angeldevil:
She proceeded to tell me how she has so much hair. I laughed and said yeah girl I can tell :lachen:
Excited for these next couple of months to go by when she'll be obsessing over my hair and how fast it grows again. dummy. :p

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wow.

I'm trying to figure out why I like my definition so much today. The day before I wore my hair all day in a ponytail, laden with a conditioner that can function as a RO, DC, or LI according to a hairstylist that put me onto it (DevaCurl One Condition). Then the next day I rinsed it out almost completely, applied Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker basically using the rake and praying hands methods, and ponytailed.

I took down my ponytail this morning, planning to wash and DC and style and all that, but I loved my definition an stretch so much that I just fluffed and shaped and wore it.

So now I'm trying to figure out: Was it just the gel on almost-naked hair that did it, or was it ALSO that I wore a very conditioning product for like 12 or 18 hours or something like that?

curlyTisME

Def want to get my ends professionally trimmed before I do any time of protective styling. I am planning ahead for the fall now. Sew ins will be the go to, plus I have found an amazing stylist who I can trust to maintain my hair under the weave.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Def want to get my ends professionally trimmed before I do any time of protective styling. I am planning ahead for the fall now. Sew ins will be the go to, plus I have found an amazing stylist who I can trust to maintain my hair under the weave.
I'm weird about stylists trimming ends. I hope it goes supper well for you. If someone said "Adora, I'll pay you $1,000 to trim your ends " Lol lol NO.

Lute

Took out my cornrows yesterday. I know my hair grew from an 1/2 inch to almost a full inch in some places. After having the ends of my hair ripped out when I got my cornrows in June. I need to look for a new place even though there right down the block from me (soooo convienent -_-).

In the meantime I'm going to focus on gaining length I feel like I've plateaued for the past few years. So far I've done the following within the past 2-3 months.

1. Adding a heavy oil or butter to the ends of my hair.
2. Pre-pooing/ finger detangling my hair with coconut oil
3. Adding a deep conditioner after every wash day.
4. Every two to three months do an protein treatment with either a constructor or aphogee treatment.

My go to style has always been two strand twists. Unfortunately I don't know how to cornrow. So I'm going to bounce over to the twist/braid bun challenge to get more info. It's already to late to join so I will lurk...

But I feel like I always seem to lose hair when I take down my twists due to my ends getting tangled together and then trying to separate them.

Last edited:

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
@Lute, how long is your hair? Can you do big twists? My ends used to tangle together too when my hair was shorter and I had to do small twists. I had to soak my ends in olive oil to get them to separate. Now I do really large ones instead.

PJaye

Took out my cornrows yesterday. I know my hair grew from an 1/2 inch to almost a full inch in some places. After having the ends of my hair ripped out when I got my cornrows in June. I need to look for a new place even though there right down the block from me (soooo convienent -_-).

In the meantime I'm going to focus on gaining length I feel like I've plateaued for the past few years. So far I've done the following within the past 2-3 months.

1. Adding a heavy oil or butter to the ends of my hair.
2. Pre-pooing/ finger detangling my hair with coconut oil
3. Adding a deep conditioner after every wash day.
4. Every two to three months do an protein treatment with either a constructor or aphogee treatment.

My go to style has always been two strand twists. Unfortunately I don't know how to cornrow. So I'm going to bounce over to the twist/braid bun challenge to get more info. It's already to late to join so I will lurk...

But I feel like I always seem to lose hair when I take down my twists due to my ends getting tangled together and then trying to separate them.

My ends do the same thing, so years ago I tried a different technique - I never braid/twist all the way to the end. Instead, I stop approximately an inch or two above and smooth them out before folding them and securing them with a snap clip (you can also lightly wrap them around a satin roller). Doing this results in a twofold outcome that I prefer: (1) it allows me to protect my ends from tangling; and (2) gives my ends a curl that prevents them from becoming stick straight. Heavy sealing with a butter, pomade or grease and smoothing them afterward also prevents my ends from becoming tangled and mangled.

FWIW, making sure that the braider keeps each of the three braid sections detangled while braiding helps immensely. She's supposed to stop one or two times mid-braid and detangle before continuing. This method takes longer, but ensures that she isn't braiding slightly tangled hair. Plus, when this is done while braiding, you will find that the hair is ultra smooth and much easier to detangle and separate when it's time to unbraid/take it down. Also, incorporating multiple lighter protein treatments rather than one heavy treatment and see how your hair fares. HTH and I wish you the best with your new routine!

vevster

This combo worked really well on my 3c/4a fine textured hair.

Pre Poo / Detangle Alikay Naturals Avocado Deep Conditioner
Shampoo: Design Essentials Almond and Avocado Shampoo
Deep Condition: Naturelle Grow's Mango & Coconut Water Deep Conditioner
Stylers:

Spritz Obia's Curl Hydrating Leave IN.
Shea Moisture's Extra Moisture Detangling Leave In
Lush's R&B cream on ends! I prefer this on wet hair than dry hair!!!
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibisicus Mousse

My hair was defined, and hydrated! Got compliments at work...