Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

LushLox

Me: Lemme run something by your real quick.
DH: Okay.
Me: So, you know how during Black Friday I try to take advantage of hair products sales . . .
DH: Wait, is that about you trying to buy another hair product?
Me: Well . . . just listen. This is about deep conditioner. I don't have a lot of deep conditioner, because I have a hard time finding one that works for me.
DH: So that's a yes. This is about a hair product.
Me: Just bear with me. See, Hairveda had a great, great sale, and I held back and did not get the deep conditioner set because, like I said, most deep conditioners just don't work for me.
DH: Mm hmm.
Me: But I just recently found out that this deep conditioner set might COULD work for me. And . . .
DH: From whom? Someone you trust who has hair with your hair's characteristics?
Me: Well, no, her hair isn't like mine but . . .
DH: You're not going to listen to what I think, so I don't need to listen any further.
Me: No, see that's where you're wrong. I really want your input. See, that sale is . . .
DH: You can't just keep buying hair products, Yvette.
Me: *blink blink*
DH: You can't.
DH: (sigh) How much does it cost?

That exchange was awesome, thanks so much for the laugh! :lol:

shasha8685

I will NEVER wait dang near 2 years to get my hair trimmed again!!! My hair feels 10x better w/o the trash ends that I had.

Also got my hair cut into layers again which I appreciate.

I love how everyone always marvels at how much hair I have. Folks have done this my whole life.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
Just took down my crochet twists and lawd my hair feels so dry!!!! :cry3: Any suggestions on a good moisturizer or deep conditioner?

I'm seriously at the point where I just want to chop it off and start over

Last edited:

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
Received the Mane Choice Shears and got anxious. I gave my self an unnecessary trim and got scissor happy too. Who knows when I'll reach BSL now. :cry3:I don't even want to see where my hair is reaching. I'll check in a few months when it has all grown back, because I know I'll be too hard on my self if I check the length right now.

Soaring Eagle

I like watching hair trimming videos. I do see some ladies trimming off way to much hair. When I was relaxed I trimmed all the time! And I have seen my progress jump out the window. Too much trimming is officially a "set back" disguised as healthy hair maintenance. When I trim my hair afterwards I throw the scissors in the trash in case I want to get scissor happy.

I wish I saw this before. Too bad I spent over $20 for my scissors so I can't afford to just throw them in the trash. I'll have someone take them away for a bit.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Just took down my crochet twists and lawd my hair feels so dry!!!! :cry3: Any suggestions on a good moisturizer or deep conditioner?

I'm seriously at the point where I just want to chop it off and start over

Hang on and hang in there, @KidneyBean86!

As soon as your hair's moisture levels return, this feeling of yours will completely evaporate.

I don't know what would give you moisture, but this would work for me:

1. Apply Chicoro's moisture-drenched pre-poo (here is the thread: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/you-need-a-moisture-drenched-pre-poo.509482/). Chicoro now adds either a teaspoon or tablespoon of glycerin to step one.

If you apply, then twist up your hair with it and wear it overnight, your hair should be drenched.

2. After cleansing your hair (you may need to use a chelating cleanser), DC with a very moisturizing DC. Some people here swear by the Joico Moisture line's DC. The only DC that seems to work for me is Shea Moisture's Manuka Honey masque on almost completely dried hair, under heat, rinsed out 90% with super cool water.

3. Apply Oyin Hair Dew (some people love it, but ignore the smell if it bothers you, because the priority is moisture right now). There are some, but not too many folks can say they don't find Oyin Hair Dew extremely moisturizing.

4. "Seal" with an oil mixture that is castor oil (black or clear) cut with some other oil or two or three (such as avocado oil) to thin it out some.

That would work for me, especially if I used a chelating cleanser followed by a moisturizing cleanser. That might not work for you, but I wanted to share.

Q: What DC has given you the most moisture in the past?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Received the Mane Choice Shears and got anxious. I gave my self an unnecessary trim and got scissor happy too. Who knows when I'll reach BSL now. :cry3:I don't even want to see where my hair is reaching. I'll check in a few months when it has all grown back, because I know I'll be too hard on my self if I check the length right now.

Hugs. You're not alone. Many of us have done this. You're right: Don't length check right now. Maybe install a cute style so you can enjoy your hair and see that all is well.

Your length is already returning as we speak. :smile:

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
Hang on and hang in there, @KidneyBean86!

As soon as your hair's moisture levels return, this feeling of yours will completely evaporate.

I don't know what would give you moisture, but this would work for me:

1. Apply Chicoro's moisture-drenched pre-poo (here is the thread: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/you-need-a-moisture-drenched-pre-poo.509482/). Chicoro now adds either a teaspoon or tablespoon of glycerin to step one.

If you apply, then twist up your hair with it and wear it overnight, your hair should be drenched.

2. After cleansing your hair (you may need to use a chelating cleanser), DC with a very moisturizing DC. Some people here swear by the Joico Moisture line's DC. The only DC that seems to work for me is Shea Moisture's Manuka Honey masque on almost completely dried hair, under heat, rinsed out 90% with super cool water.

3. Apply Oyin Hair Dew (some people love it, but ignore the smell if it bothers you, because the priority is moisture right now). There are some, but not too many folks can say they don't find Oyin Hair Dew extremely moisturizing.

4. "Seal" with an oil mixture that is castor oil (black or clear) cut with some other oil or two or three (such as avocado oil) to thin it out some.

That would work for me, especially if I used a chelating cleanser followed by a moisturizing cleanser. That might not work for you, but I wanted to share.

Q: What DC has given you the most moisture in the past?

Thank you for the quick response @YvetteWithJoy ! In the past I used olive oil deep conditioner. To be honest, I never really deep conditioned much at all once I became natural almost 4 years ago. I did try SM but it makes my scalp itch like it's on fire.

I will try all those products you mentioned and hope it helps.

Thank you so much! I'm open to any other suggestions or tips also.

Evolving78

Don’t feel bad, i’m the scissor happy queen. I probably would be MBL now! Lol it will grow back and you may retain more. Give your hair until the spring. Now you don’t have to do any major trims for awhile and you have nice fresh ends to work with.

Evolving78

I hate how all these yt'ers start their channels with mbl hair. I don't wanna see the end result, I wanna see how you got there. I thought that was the whole point of the enterprise! :eek:_O
Not anymore! Lol they watch and study videos and forums for 4-5 years, then they start their own channel with their tips.. and the tips are so basic. They take awhile to figure out what products and styles work for them as well. The things I do to grow my hair are more detailed.

Last edited:

Soaring Eagle

Hugs. You're not alone. Many of us have done this. You're right: Don't length check right now. Maybe install a cute style so you can enjoy your hair and see that all is well.

Your length is already returning as we speak. :smile:
Don’t feel bad, i’m the scissor happy queen. I probably would be MBL now! Lol it will grow back and you may retain more. Give your hair until the spring. Now you don’t have to do any major trims for awhile and you have nice fresh ends to work with.

Thanks, ladies. Feels good to have suport from those who understand.

Bad&Bougee

Me: Lemme run something by you real quick.
DH: Okay.
Me: So, you know how during Black Friday I try to take advantage of hair products sales . . .
DH: Wait, is this about you trying to buy another hair product?
Me: Well . . . just listen. This is about deep conditioner. I don't have a lot of deep conditioner, because I have a hard time finding one that works for me.
DH: So that's a yes. This is about a hair product.
Me: Just bear with me. See, Hairveda had a great, great sale, and I held back and did not get the deep conditioner set because, like I said, most deep conditioners just don't work for me.
DH: Mm hmm.
Me: But I just recently found out that this deep conditioner set might COULD work for me. And . . .
DH: From whom? Someone you trust who has hair with your hair's characteristics?
Me: Well, no, her hair isn't like mine but . . .
DH: You're not going to listen to what I think, so I don't need to listen any further.
Me: No, see that's where you're wrong. I really want your input. See, that sale is . . .
DH: You can't just keep buying hair products, Yvette.
DH: You can't.
DH: (sigh) How much does it cost?

I think that is too cute. The fact that he is a part of your hair journey is awesome. He said, "Someone you trust who has hair with your hair's characteristic". WOW. Now that is fabulous. On the other hand, you can't fast talk him with some hair lingo and hope he's too slow LOL.

Just ship your products to your job like I do and sneak it in the house later.

Bad&Bougee

Ok so my retarded behind has been taking the wrong amount of my liquid collagen supplement. I wasn’t taking the full dosage..
so I have just taken the proper dosage, then I had some coconut water...why do I feel like I’m about to jump out of my skin? Lol I feel like I had a lot of coffee.

Yes!! Crazy energy but not jittery energy. You just feel ready to tackle the world! What liquid brand do you take?

Lissa0821

Been blow drying my hair on wash day. It comes out smooth and soft but my ends are still very kinky and tightly coiled. I have to figure how to get smooth ends. Definitely have to step up deep conditioning weekly.