Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

SugarSweetCoco**

Feeling SO fed up with my hair.. I've been on my hair journey for so many years but nothing's happening, still the same length (neck lengthish). I've spent loads of money different products, tried lots of tips and techniques but I am on the road to nowhere. :mad:

A few years ago I used to basically wash, condition and blow dry my natural hair weekly. It was thick, strong and seemed to grow quickly.

I like straighter/ blowout type hair and thought less heat would be a good thing so started self- relaxing. However went to a new hairdresser last week to find out my hair was broken in the back :cry3::cry3:

At a crossroads.. shall I transition and become a heat trained natural or stay relaxed but start going to the salon for my relaxers to prevent any further damage?

All advice welcome :2inlove:

icsonia22

@SugarSweetCoco** I think you have to determine which is the lesser evil. If you relax, the protein fiver will be compromised more but you'll only have to relax the new growth. You can protect the rest of the length with a thick barrier like Vaseline. On the other hand, if you become a a heat trained natural, your hair could thrive or die depending on several factors. You'll have to take into account what kind of heat you're applying (direct or indirect), what kind of flat uron (ceramic, tourmaline or titanium), how high the heat is, how frequently you straighten your hair and the density of your strands. The hair fiber will be compromised over time because yoilly be straightening from root to tip. With either route, you can use hard protein treatments to try to help strengthen your hair.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
@SugarSweetCoco** I think you have to determine which is the lesser evil. If you relax, the protein fiver will be compromised more but you'll only have to relax the new growth. You can protect the rest of the length with a thick barrier like Vaseline. On the other hand, if you become a a heat trained natural, your hair could thrive or die depending on several factors. You'll have to take into account what kind of heat you're applying (direct or indirect), what kind of flat uron (ceramic, tourmaline or titanium), how high the heat is, how frequently you straighten your hair and the density of your strands. The hair fiber will be compromised over time because yoilly be straightening from root to tip. With either route, you can use hard protein treatments to try to help strengthen your hair.

This. But also @SugarSweetCoco** , are you using heat on your relaxed hair? I think going the relaxer route works best when you're keeping heat to a minimum and practicing proper retouch techniques. If you're going to relax and put a lot heat on your hair, you'd be better off as a heat trained natural, IMO.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
If (a massive IF) I were to straighten my hair it would be by a hot comb. Flat irons are two plates burning hair simultaneously and with a hot comb you don't have to blow dry (extra heat). In this case old school is probably best.

*Im Not straightening my hair*

NowIAmNappy

Last weekend my friend put twists in my hair since I was a hair model for her new product line. I'm ready to wear the twist out but I know I will miss the convenience of the twists as soon as I take them down... decisions decision.

FadingDelilah

I want to install deep fire red crochet braids that looks like a shoulder length bob. It will be my first time wearing fake hair. Idc! Im done trying to style super my short hair only to end up failing. Most of all I'm tried of waiting for my hair to grow. I will try all types of styles and colors and have fun this year. :D I'm so excited!!!! And in no time my hair will be longer so I can wear that instead.

Last edited:

Daina

Note to self...never cleanse hair 2 hours before a flight! There is not enough time to do anything right.

Note to self...pack hair products before clothes so you can think through what to bring instead of running around throwing random stuff in your bag!

Note to self...thank yourself for having the presence of mind to at least bring the shea butter!

Note to self...forgive yourself because when all else fails, a curly bun will always work even when you don't have a brush( yeah forgot that too...)!

nerdography

I stopped using silicone a little over a month ago, and I starting using sulfate free shampoo about three weeks ago. And my hair has improved so much. My hair is staying moisturized longer and the hair along my edges that's usually a frizzy dry mess is starting to coil all the way to the root.

I also had a really good results using nothing but the Curls line for my leave-ins. It moisturized my dry patch in the back so well that it's still moisturized five days later :kiss3:

I want to purchase a shampoo brush and I need a new heating cap, because my mother used mine and covered it in red hair dye :confused:

Daina

Is Shea Moisture Hair Dye any good? o_O

I like it, I use it in jet black to cover grays. They've changed what you get and no longer call it a color system (you used to get a super cute mesh bag with all the products: color, developer, gloves, color brush, shampoo, conditioner and oil elixir). They now call it a color creme and you get gloves, color, developer and a packet of the HIPO mask. Still works the same and I rarely used the other stuff anyway. I only color twice a year.

FadingDelilah

When my afro turns 2 in 2019, my twist out afro picked out will make my head look like its getting sucked into a black hole. It's almost there now.

And I'll be here for it. Big hair, little head gang. LOL.

This picture will forever make me drool.

May 2014 and 2015 are lifeeeeee!!!

movingforward

Moving forward and onward
I hate transitioning. I will never perm my hair again! That awkward period is not cure. There’s no hairstyle I like that doesnt include some form of fake hair.

So I’m in crochet twists, braids until the end of the year. If I need to go on job interviews. I just purchase a nice wig that my twists will fit under.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I hate transitioning. I will never perm my hair again! That awkward period is not cure. There’s no hairstyle I like that doesnt include some form of fake hair.

So I’m in crochet twists, braids until the end of the year. If I need to go on job interviews. I just purchase a nice wig that my twists will fit under.
Right!? I will never relax my hair again yo! I'm three years post relaxer right now. At WL fully natural feel me? (gangsta accent).

Relaxers = No good. In a long run. Oh yeah its nic

Do you!

Last edited:

Britt

I feel you!
I hate transitioning. I ended up by chopping the other day and have been in braids. I’ll be switching up my braids until I get some more length hopefully by August.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

Transitioning sucks! That's how I know I'm never going back to relaxers.

icsonia22

I've been on the hunt for a moisturizer that doesn't contain glycerin so that I can use it for styles like twist outs and braid outs. I see that some of the ladies here have been raving about oyin hair dew so I decided to give it a shot on dry rollerset hair. Man that stuff was so moisturizing on contact that it made my fingers wrinkle as if I had been in the tub all day. I sealed it in with whipped Shea butter so I hope my hair feels good when I take down these bantu knots