Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

FadingDelilah

@FadingDelilah Did you blow dry the hair yet? It could work. I wish Marley hair could be softer!

No, I'm doing it today though. And I know!! The hair is so coarse I can't comb it at all without most of it coming out and it ends up too raggedy to install the protective style I wanted. :rolleyes: So now I want to try and make a lace wig with it. I just need one of those little crochet hooks and the cap. That would work nicely since I want to just protective style for the rest of the year and skip right to having longer hair. I want to play with some styles I can't do yet :look:

FadingDelilah

I've had two amazing hair dreams recently. In the first one, I installed some mini twists and they hung framing my face to cbl all around. Now thats not very long but as someone whose mini twists barely touch my eyebrow, I was delighted. I was able to style them so pretty :cloud9: I hope my mini twists get that long soon. I would wear those all the time if mine reached shoulder length. After that, growing my hair would be a breeze.

In the other one, I had been protective styling for a good amount of time (a few months probably) and when I took down my hair and did a chunky braidout it fell to my waist!! I was like :eek: I couldn't have been wearing this wig for that long??? LOL. I don't know how I didn't realize I was dreaming, but I was so excited that the first thing I did was get my camera out and post length check photos on here. :lachen:

I love hair dreams :look:

LonDone

PS May 2017-???
I see my straight patch is back :laugh: I always get fascinated by the fact that in a head full of curls, I literally have a straight patch of hair at my nape. I use to think that I still had relaxer on my hair, till I realized that I’ve always shaved my hair off *face palm* lmao

I don’t really remember how it was when my hair was longer, but I do remember that it was less curly than the rest of my hair.

So, firm curls with a straight patch. Never change Sybil, never change :lachen:

Yass, a hair twin! Mine is definitely 1c-2a, with most of the rest 3b... but I also have tiny perfect 4b coils no more than 3mm across!

sunflora

Flowah Powah
My hair is so red, I can actually see my new growth by how black it is in comparison. I dyed my hair permanent blue black maybe three months ago. I have no idea why it wants to be this ugly reddish color anymore and at this point I just give up. :mad:

PlanetCybertron

Incoming rant: apologies for how long it is.

So I’m only apart of two hair sites. Used to be three until Hairlista just ghosted us. I’m not too upset about that since none of us could get along over there anyways.

This site and The Long Hair Community are the only two sites I frequent daily.

I love my ladies over at TLHC, but darn it some of them irritate me with how blatantly careless they are about trying to understand hair texture differences. Not all of them. The majority of them are beyond understanding, and look at all textures as down right beautiful and unique. Those folks, I love talking to them. They’re down to earth.

BUT....and this is rather constant, but I’m always stumbling across someone blatantly proclaiming that certain hair practices are “damaging”. I made a comment a while back stating that I was intending on keeping my braids in for two weeks.

“That sounds damaging”. How? I boil it down to ignorance. And not the bad kind, just what it actually means to not know. Most if not all of us have hair textures that flourish when tucked away or twisted, or braided together to keep the individual strands protected. When they’re all teamed up, they’re stronger. I haven’t the slightest clue why this isn’t blatantly obvious to folks of other hair textures. All it takes is a quick google search.

Then someone mentioned how build up isn’t really a “thing”. For them probably not. Espeacially if we’re not using the same products. But for someone with silk-like, fine hair, that’s Afro textured, it’s a very real thing for me. They stated that using enough water should somehow combat buildup even when using mineral oil.

Wait...hold up, hold up....

Is your perspective that narrow? I don’t mind my hair being weighed down, espeacially if using stuff like Shea Butter or any other oil, but oils don’t moisturize. They seal. I can try to moisturize with water all I want, but if there’s a week’s worth of oil on my strands, it’s not going to let ANYTHING get through. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Then someone mentioned that if the comb or brush doesn’t flow through the hair without any resistance, there’s damage. That doesn’t mean that at all. It means some folks have hair that’s textured, coiled, kinky, or wavy enough to where the brush isn’t going to glide through in one go. That does not equal damage.

I’m just tired of folks saying down right stupid stuff.

If you don’t know, or haven’t even tried researching on customized hair practices for varying hair textures, why, on EARTH, do folks feel the need to make huge generalizations about hair and hair care, as if every last head of hair is even remotely similar to theirs?

My husband is straight up European/Irish ethnicity, and I’ve been helping him with hair since he’s decided to go it long. He’s about where BSL would be on a woman. What did I do first? I spent roughly 2-3 years researching how to care for hair of his texture, and just plain old getting a firm understanding of it. He’s got an oily scalp, Acute SD, fine strands like mine, and pin straight hair that’s blonde. Obviously I’m not going to try the LOC/LCO method on him or suggest the Shea Retention thing we do here. His hair does great with a daily Medicated sulphate shampoo, shampooing the entire length of hair from roots to tips, a small dab of conditioner of the ends, no oils, and put up in loose braid or bun.

Same thing with him spending the entire time we’ve been together and married understanding and researching my hair and it’s texture. He’s not going to suggest I shampoo my entire head. He’s not going to state that oils or butter are too heavy for my hair. He’s not going to say that keeping braids in for a Fortnite is “damaging”, because he took the time to understand that we have completely different textures that need completely different care. On the occasion I let him detangle my hair, above all else, he understands that the comb isn’t going to glide through my hair like his does. It doesn’t mean my hair is damaged, it means I have a different hair structure than his.

Only reason I’m irritated is because I would genuinely love to see people from all ethnicities come together and understand eachother’s Hair care and how unique and beautiful it is. There’s a bunch of methods I didn’t know worked for my hair, and I never would’ve known without going and straight up asking and finding out. I have a life long friend who lives in Maryland, and my mom taught her how to properly install cornrows, and she’s texted me a few times saying that she’s retained more length with cornrows than she does with buns. She’s of Latino ethnicity, and every time she comes down to visit she’s rocking her cornrows with a little flower clip. She gets a lot of breakage at the roots, so the cornrows keep all her hair together and free from tangling up at the roots.

I’ve learned a lot of washing methods and conditioning methods from TLHC, and I combine them with all of the methods I’ve picked up from lurking here at the LHCF before I joined. You never know what might work for you.

I know there’s a lot of tension in America going on with ethnical issues, and arguing, and misunderstanding, and this and that and more of that and this, but if i can start in small places like online hair care forums, I’d love more than anything to see people coming together and all of us swinging and swooshing our long hair all over the place.

But alas....I’m still met with people who just don’t care.

I’m rather kind-hearted when discussing things like this, or things I don’t agree on, but lately I’ve just been on no chill mode.

Rant over.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Incoming rant: apologies for how long it is.

So I’m only apart of two hair sites. Used to be three until Hairlista just ghosted us. I’m not too upset about that since none of us could get along over there anyways.

This site and The Long Hair Community are the only two sites I frequent daily.

I love my ladies over at TLHC, but darn it some of them irritate me with how blatantly careless they are about trying to understand hair texture differences. Not all of them. The majority of them are beyond understanding, and look at all textures as down right beautiful and unique. Those folks, I love talking to them. They’re down to earth.

BUT....and this is rather constant, but I’m always stumbling across someone blatantly proclaiming that certain hair practices are “damaging”. I made a comment a while back stating that I was intending on keeping my braids in for two weeks.

“That sounds damaging”. How? I boil it down to ignorance. And not the bad kind, just what it actually means to not know. Most if not all of us have hair textures that flourish when tucked away or twisted, or braided together to keep the individual strands protected. When they’re all teamed up, they’re stronger. I haven’t the slightest clue why this isn’t blatantly obvious to folks of other hair textures. All it takes is a quick google search.

Then someone mentioned how build up isn’t really a “thing”. For them probably not. Espeacially if we’re not using the same products. But for someone with silk-like, fine hair, that’s Afro textured, it’s a very real thing for me. They stated that using enough water should somehow combat buildup even when using mineral oil.

Wait...hold up, hold up....

Is your perspective that narrow? I don’t mind my hair being weighed down, espeacially if using stuff like Shea Butter or any other oil, but oils don’t moisturize. They seal. I can try to moisturize with water all I want, but if there’s a week’s worth of oil on my strands, it’s not going to let ANYTHING get through. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Then someone mentioned that if the comb or brush doesn’t flow through the hair without any resistance, there’s damage. That doesn’t mean that at all. It means some folks have hair that’s textured, coiled, kinky, or wavy enough to where the brush isn’t going to glide through in one go. That does not equal damage.

I’m just tired of folks saying down right stupid stuff.

If you don’t know, or haven’t even tried researching on customized hair practices for varying hair textures, why, on EARTH, do folks feel the need to make huge generalizations about hair and hair care, as if every last head of hair is even remotely similar to theirs?

My husband is straight up European/Irish ethnicity, and I’ve been helping him with hair since he’s decided to go it long. He’s about where BSL would be on a woman. What did I do first? I spent roughly 2-3 years researching how to care for hair of his texture, and just plain old getting a firm understanding of it. He’s got an oily scalp, Acute SD, fine strands like mine, and pin straight hair that’s blonde. Obviously I’m not going to try the LOC/LCO method on him or suggest the Shea Retention thing we do here. His hair does great with a daily Medicated sulphate shampoo, shampooing the entire length of hair from roots to tips, a small dab of conditioner of the ends, no oils, and put up in loose braid or bun.

Same thing with him spending the entire time we’ve been together and married understanding and researching my hair and it’s texture. He’s not going to suggest I shampoo my entire head. He’s not going to state that oils or butter are too heavy for my hair. He’s not going to say that keeping braids in for a Fortnite is “damaging”, because he took the time to understand that we have completely different textures that need completely different care. On the occasion I let him detangle my hair, above all else, he understands that the comb isn’t going to glide through my hair like his does. It doesn’t mean my hair is damaged, it means I have a different hair structure than his.

Only reason I’m irritated is because I would genuinely love to see people from all ethnicities come together and understand eachother’s Hair care and how unique and beautiful it is. There’s a bunch of methods I didn’t know worked for my hair, and I never would’ve known without going and straight up asking and finding out. I have a life long friend who lives in Maryland, and my mom taught her how to properly install cornrows, and she’s texted me a few times saying that she’s retained more length with cornrows than she does with buns. She’s of Latino ethnicity, and every time she comes down to visit she’s rocking her cornrows with a little flower clip. She gets a lot of breakage at the roots, so the cornrows keep all her hair together and free from tangling up at the roots.

I’ve learned a lot of washing methods and conditioning methods from TLHC, and I combine them with all of the methods I’ve picked up from lurking here at the LHCF before I joined. You never know what might work for you.

I know there’s a lot of tension in America going on with ethnical issues, and arguing, and misunderstanding, and this and that and more of that and this, but if i can start in small places like online hair care forums, I’d love more than anything to see people coming together and all of us swinging and swooshing our long hair all over the place.

But alas....I’m still met with people who just don’t care.

I’m rather kind-hearted when discussing things like this, or things I don’t agree on, but lately I’ve just been on no chill mode.

Rant over.

I totally get your rant.

It's worse when it's black-on-black. I joined a Facebook group supposedly to support straight haired naturals. The leader was EXTREEEEEEEEEEEMELY condescending. Example: One of the questions you had to answer to join was "You know hair is dead, right?"

:nono:

I should've stopped right there.

She proceeded to rant about misinformation and then print ALL SORTS OF CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAY-CRAY misinformation of the inexcusable kind.

Then she goes back to ranting about others' misinformation. Then she tells the group there is NO PRODUCT in all of Sally's that won't damage your hair except Jane Carter and something else. She said she was worried about me and I must sell or toss every product I have and never clay wash again.

I asked her for ANY rationale before having to exit the group.

Oh, yeah: She also does a hair burning method and permanent flat ironing method and showed us severely damaged hair talmbout how healthily she is able to do these things.

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

I could not.

Kindheart

Any suggestions on a spray protein? Wearing crochet braids, trying to incorporate a bit more protein in my braid spray.

I am using SCurl, mixed with some natural oils.

Me, me, me! I've been in crochet braids for the last 3 months. At least you have been taking care of your hair. I have been really wishy washy and I'm paying for it. Trying to get back on track.
kPak reconstructive leave in

shasha8685

I am having a major braids moment right now. It reminds me of the summer of '98 when my mom kept my hair cornrowed because my first relaxer broke my hair off something serious.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I don't think I will ever be able to use commercial products targeted towards curly/natural hair. They are so oily. I had to shampoo my hair for the second time because my hair was so greasy and nasty after just trying a few pumps of one new leave in. It makes me afraid to even experiment with others because these are the results literally every single time. I get better results just leaving in water and sealing with oil, or spraying a watered down conditioner. I think I'll just stick to what I know from now on.

Sally.

3 week ago I washed my hair and applied my glycerin mix below some homemade whipped shea butter then twisted. Right now if I take down one of the twists my hair still feels so soft and luscious without greasiness. The moisture I get from glycerin is eternal. Now I just need a homemade shampoo and conditioner so I can make all my own stuff.
Nice! What’s in your glycerin mix? I have some but it’s so sticky I’ve never put it to use.

Sally.

I went and got my hair done at the Paul Mitchell salon. My hair was already cut in a devacut so the stylist did finger coils to define my hair. It came out looking amazing! She truly had me feeling myself. I’ve tried to do what she did twice but cant get my hair remotely close to what she did. I’m gonna go back to her and ask her to break down each step for me.

Bad&Bougee

My braider and her staff are pretty amazing! I got kinky twists installed Saturday. She was trimming the braids (she does this with you facing the mirror so that you can see what she is doing) and I noticed an inch of my hair sticking out of one of the braids, but didn't say anything. She was a few braids away from the braid in question. She suddenly stopped and asked, "Do you want me to cut the hair or re-braid the braid?" I couldn't believe it. She asked instead of just cutting it. Do you know how many braiders I have seen that just cut the hair and keep going? Tragic. I told her to cut it - I'm going to BC when I take these out anyway.

While getting my hair braided, I also noticed that I am always the only one that holds the braid as she braids it. I hold the braid taught because all that pulling, untangling hair, and braiding makes my scalp sore. All that pulling has to be pulling your hair out from the root (or damaging the follicle). I've seen ladies who were clearly in pain just sit there and not grab the braid. Maybe they don't know that holding the braid is helpful?

Anyhoo, this is my first set of kinky twists and they are gorgeous. I'm a Box Braid Girl so I was really taking a chance with these Kinkies. So glad I got them!

NowIAmNappy

This pic of my hair was taken on July 30th 2017. I will come back to quote this post for July 30th 2018 update pic in 34 more days. I will also put on the same shirt :look: if I can find it.

Hopefully I have a smaller waistline as well as longer hair ha-ha.

View attachment 432231

Don't mind my refrigerator body LOL I was going through something.. *a voice yells* "yeah the refrigerator!". Any who, I've been using activator my whole entire journey (3 years).

I am so glad I had this picture taken when I did.

Yess cant wait for the hair update and we are definitely hair twins