Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Sally.

I found this one by on a fb friend who's also natural posting about her experience. Other times I find salons by searching instagram hashtags for example #yourcityhair or #yourcitysalon

The place isn't a chain and believe it or not the owner is a white guy. There's only 3 stylists and 2 assistants. The lady who did my hair is mixed (I think) and the other stylist is black (i think).

I know that probably sounds odd and to prove I'm not crazy going to a white man owned salon here's their IG page lol: https://www.instagram.com/evanjosephsalon/

The day of my appointment my former cousin was in there and the owner did her hair. It looked awesome.

I wish I could find a black owned salon just like this.
That salon looks amazing. They look like they truly understand how to cut and define curls. I don’t know why it is STILL so hard to find black stylists who can do this when the natural hair movement has been going strong for over 10 years now.

Sally.

I prepooed with coconut oil, did a bentonite/kaolin/ghassoul clay mask, and dc with shea Moisture Hi Po.

I am going to officially stop using coconut oil on my hair. It strengthened my hair a bit but it mostly made it dry and my ends were raggedy. Avocado and olive oil leaves me with super moisturized, easy to manipulate hair.

This was my second time buying and trying the shea moisture hi po. I didn’t really care for it the first time around but thought I’d give it another shot since so many people rave about it. It had slip but didn’t feel moisturizing going on or after being washed out. It also seemed to have a bit of synthetic ingredients i am trying to avoid since I’m doing mostly natural ingredients.

I LOVED the bentonite/kaolin/ghassoul detox mask! Definitely a staple going forward.

Sally.

. I think it’s going to be at least two more years to get out of this awkward stage.
Same here. I’m APL in the back but with my shrinkage, my wash and goes end up barely reaching my neck. I’m gonna try Ayurveda methods to see if I can get faster growth because I don’t wanna be at this shrinkage length for the next 2 years.

Royalq

Im getting random sore spots on my scalp that scab over. Idk what it is. Its been happening for the past 3 weeks now. I would scratch my scalp and find a scab spot. Also last week I was doing an aphogee treatment and when I put it on my scalp my scalp burned and tingled a bit. Im not using anything new so idk what it could be.

MzSwift

Im getting random sore spots on my scalp that scab over. Idk what it is. Its been happening for the past 3 weeks now. I would scratch my scalp and find a scab spot. Also last week I was doing an aphogee treatment and when I put it on my scalp my scalp burned and tingled a bit. Im not using anything new so idk what it could be.

Aww man, that sounds like a reaction to me. Since your products haven’t changed how about changes in your diet? Have you been exercising or experiencing extra sweating in the scalp? Have you tried on any new wigs right after receiving them?

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Almost all of the hair products I use lately contain lavender EO... only my shampoo and leave in don't. Can you say stressed? Yep, so stressed. I've got a bottle of lavender at work, one in my kitchen and one under my bathroom sink. I'm about to buy a bigger diffuser. *screaming into my dog who definitely does NOT smell like lavender... yet* :look:

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I am SO done with my hair. So done, that I ended up driving to the store, getting some kanekolon hair and putting in some box braids. I'm only a quarter of the way through but I'm doing better than I thought I would. I honestly didn't care how jacked they look, I just want my hair to stop being such a jerk to me. i started without extensions but the shape of my hair and the lack of density made it look weird. If they last two weeks, I'll be thrilled. If they last two months and it doesnt take me the rest of my weekend to finish them, I might consider PSing from now on. I hate synthetic hair, but that's how tired I am.

Royalq

Aww man, that sounds like a reaction to me. Since your products haven’t changed how about changes in your diet? Have you been exercising or experiencing extra sweating in the scalp? Have you tried on any new wigs right after receiving them?
I was walking around in the summer heat and I didn't wash my hair for 2 weeks. Maybe dried sweat. I don't wash wigs right away when I receive them

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This second half of the year is going to focus on my supplements. I start off good and then get lazy when its time to reupp.

I love bamboo silica but I'm taking Camille Rose Super Foods and want to focus on that right now by itself.

I'm going to add in collagen though. I need to check all my nooks and crannies before buying stuff. I just purchased some collagen powder only to discover I bought some previously.

Mornings I'm taking my vitamin D, CR Superfoods, and drinking an 8 oz blend of Vital proteins Beauty Collagen (lavender/lemon).

When I'm eating dinner, I'm taking another CR Superfoods . I'm trying to decide if I will try the Reservage collagen with dinner as well or another vital proteins drink.

Last edited:

PlanetCybertron

Thank you ladies. I do twists :look:. My hair is twisted 100% of the time.
I'm tired of detangling and separating. These cannot be avoided by any means. I get this attitude every year then it passes and I'm good after. This seems to be a pattern for every year that I'm natural.
When my first year natural ended I was overwhelmed a tiny bit then the feeling left me. After my second year ended i was really overwhelmed for a few days with 13 inches of 4B hair. Now that my third year has ended with 19-21 inches I'm like whoa...whoa! Detangling got real, real fast. The webbing effect is crazy right now. But God will give me the grace to handle it as it continues to grow. Length sneaks up on me. This has happened every year like clockwork for each new level I reach in length. In a week or so I'll be back to normal once I get use to it again.

Am I the only one that gets surprised by (seemingly sudden) length? Thanks for the good suggestions.

I definitely understand where you’re coming from.

Lately I haven’t even had the gall to comb my hair. At all. In some months. God saw fit to grace me with fine hair that’s easily separated under water flow. Otherwise I would’ve had a giant matted mass of hair by now.

I think it was last week, I tried to gently comb my hair just to get some of my hair separated so it could dry a bit quicker. Shooooooot. It’s all fun and games until that 45min marker has passed and you aren’t even done with a quarter section of hair. Nope. I almost threw that comb in the trash out of frustration lol. Ill just let the water from the shower do it’s thing. It’s efficient to a decent degree and it’s quick.

But I find God and the Lord to have beautiful, unsurpassable capabilities of humor and well-intended hubris for us humans. I used to only dream of having hair mere inches from my own bottom, now I wake up everyday with this long tassel-like hair looking like a deer in headlights as to what I can even do...if my hair allows me to do it, but I think it’s also a bit of a learning process too. For me personally, the longer my hair gets, the less and less it puts up with, concerning me touching it. “Oh, I’m feeling a bit fancy, maybe I can use one of my heat passes and flat iron my hair”. Yeah, but it’ll cost nearly 4 hours of my day lol, and that’s if I don’t freak over my hair snagging on every last thing it comes into close proximity to.

I’ve been on the forums talking about 40 inches this, 40 inches that... “wah wah wah where my 40 inches at?”, but I’m over getting my entire self and sense of pride handed to me in a healthy dose of humble-pie with nearly 34 inches of hair every time I do so much as pass a reflection of myself.

I tried doing flat twists recently too....nah. Not today.

Don’t get me wrong, I never really imagined myself even making it this far, and I’m amazed what patience, innovation, and faith can do, but I definitely know the feeling of the unexpected turning into reality.

kupenda

Any recommendations for adding weight to flat ironed hair? Tonight I tested out a patch by blow drying and then using the flat iron on low. My hair seems too airy. Too light. The heat protectant I used was Silk Elements, with some CHI Silk Infusion. Then I added a smidge of oil before I put it in a bantu knot. But none of those things made my hair heavier/lay down. Maybe it’s technique?

PlanetCybertron

Any recommendations for adding weight to flat ironed hair? Tonight I tested out a patch by blow drying and then using the flat iron on low. My hair seems too airy. Too light. The heat protectant I used was Silk Elements, with some CHI Silk Infusion. Then I added a smidge of oil before I put it in a bantu knot. But none of those things made my hair heavier/lay down. Maybe it’s technique?

Maybe it might take a little while for your hair to weigh down a bit?

I think maybe using a bit more oil as the day goes by will eventually give your hair some weight. It more than likely has something to do with your hair strand thickness/density. Nothing bad by any means.

kupenda

Maybe it might take a little while for your hair to weigh down a bit?

I think maybe using a bit more oil as the day goes by will eventually give your hair some weight. It more than likely has something to do with your hair strand thickness/density. Nothing bad by any means.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if it had anything to do with needing a trim or dryness. I added some more oil today and my hair is beautiful but it poofs up quickly. I can’t even tell how long it is because it’s spread wide acros my back instead of down lol.

I may just stick to salon visits when the weather cools. I had SO MANY ssk’s it was shameful

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
You may not have blow dried enough.