Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Its been almost five months (April 1st) since my last trim. I will not be trimming again until April 2019. I want to see if I can make it a whole year. I think the reason for my last trim was because at the time I had just finished watching a trim video (I was under the video's influence). "Hair trim" videos are banned until April. :D

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I keep coming back to this site, expecting things to be how they used to be but everything is sooo sloooow. It makes me kind of sad because this was (imo) where the black girl hair care revolution started. I miss the days where you'd come back a day or two later and you missed out on so much. I learned most of what I know about relaxed hair care from the ladies on here. And now that I'm natural I'm left sifting through crazy youtube for sound information. sigh...
I feel the same way...in a way. *silent tears in remembrance* These threads used to move so fast it made your head spin.
Do you think it's because we said all we could possibly say about black hair care? That there's nothing New? :perplexed: *scratches head*

Or could it be that most of the (original o-g's) members are gone?

WaistLengthDreams

I feel the same way...in a way. *silent tears in remembrance* These threads used to move so fast it made your head spin.
Do you think it's because we said all we could possibly say about black hair care? That there's nothing New? :perplexed: *scratches head*

Or could it be that most of the (original o-g's) members are gone?

@I Am So Blessed
I'm not really sure to tell you the truth. When I found LHCF it was at the top of a lot of my hair care google searches. And now when I search for natural hair care, I get a lot of blogs and youtube channels. Maybe everyone's attention is directed elsewhere.

One thing I really appreciate about this space is that every poster is on a level playing field. And it's a majority rules kind of hierarchy to hair care. That's how we learned so much about what to do. Someone can introduce an out there theory or approach to hair care, some may follow and rave initially, but without fail if you gave it time, the majority yields its final say of ya or nay. And everything was pretty much settled.

On blogs and youtube, the poster is almost always seen as above or an authority over everyone else. And then if a lowly commenter (or even a bunch of commenters) contracts it or disagrees (with or without evidence), they're largely ignored. It creates this weird space of where most assume what you see is right, but then you're left to fail on your own at home.

There's just something pure about getting the masses of LHCF to agree to things. And I know a lot of gems are in the archives, as a new natural I wish there more current conversations going on with members that are active now (even if the topics are really repetitive to the OGs who've been natural).

WaistLengthDreams

If you're 4B/4C like me and think that your hair will stretch with lenght it won't. It will just get coilier.

I'm 65% sure that I have 4b hair and this statement makes me a little sad. But then I see what your hair looks like after being natural 3 years and I feel like I'll be ok with all that length. :love: Although the thought of it being more coily does scare me a little bit. lol

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I'm 65% sure that I have 4b hair and this statement makes me a little sad. But then I see what your hair looks like after being natural 3 years and I feel like I'll be ok with all that length. :love: Although the thought of it being more coily does scare me a little bit. lol
Thank you! I don't mean to scare you :), but I've found this to be true with my hair. Your hair may be different. I heard that it also has to do with the shape of the strand as well as the texture. Someone here mentioned that if a strands shape is flat it shrinks more no matter the length (like balloon ribbons when curled), but round strands hang more. I find that my hair strands keeps winding/spiralling upward as they grow. My hair will shrink to above shoulders if I let it. I would literally have to have thigh length hair for it to "flow". This is apart from "stretching" it of course. What I mean to say is my kinks don't loosen with length AT ALL. The great part about that is my hair appears denser.

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

Thank you! I don't mean to scare you :), but I've found this to be true with my hair. Your hair may be different. I heard that it also has to do with the shape of the strand as well as the texture. Someone here mentioned that if a strands shape is flat it shrinks more no matter the length (like balloon ribbons when curled), but round strands hang more. I find that my hair strands keeps winding/spiralling upward as they grow. My hair will shrink to above shoulders if I let it. I would literally have to have thigh length hair for it to "flow". This is apart from "stretching" it of course. What I mean to say is my kinks don't loosen with length AT ALL. The great part about that is my hair appears denser.

A little scared, but definitely up for the challenge whatever ends up happening with my hair. Plus, even if it makes it more difficult, I see it hasn't held you back. So nothing is impossible.

But I'm going to write a note on the information about strand shapes (round vs. flat). I feel like that will come in handy at some point. I'm not quite able to figure out where my hair is on these various hair metrics. But the naturallycurly.com quiz told me my hair is 4b so that's what I'm going with until I can assess it for myself.

Thanks for the insight!

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I keep coming back to this site, expecting things to be how they used to be but everything is sooo sloooow. It makes me kind of sad because this was (imo) where the black girl hair care revolution started. I miss the days where you'd come back a day or two later and you missed out on so much. I learned most of what I know about relaxed hair care from the ladies on here. And now that I'm natural I'm left sifting through crazy youtube for sound information. sigh...

It's all been said by now.

For example, I came back from a week of vacation and looked at my subscribed YTeres. The hair ones had posted more 'how I wash my hair videos'. Like, you've been posting on YouTube for 6 years, what more do you have to tell me about how you wash your hair, or how you do a wash and go, or how you moisturize your hair? It's become redundant, and the same happens on a forum. We've seen all of the growth aids, all of the techniques, and new product reviews are more like ads after awhile.

With that, there's not much we can talk about except our journeys, and we don't grow hair over night so the conversation is slow. It sucks, but hey, what can we do?

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This Camille Rose Lavender collection better arrive before September 8th. If not, the shelf life better be a year because that's when I'll be able to try it out.

I'm going into Fall/winter protective mode. They better get it together before I call my bank and dispute.

September 8th is my first crochet install and every 8 weeks after that. 6 weeks take down, 2 weeks rest( treat, trim, length check) and then on again.

WaistLengthDreams

It's all been said by now.

For example, I came back from a week of vacation and looked at my subscribed YTeres. The hair ones had posted more 'how I wash my hair videos'. Like, you've been posting on YouTube for 6 years, what more do you have to tell me about how you wash your hair, or how you do a wash and go, or how you moisturize your hair? It's become redundant, and the same happens on a forum. We've seen all of the growth aids, all of the techniques, and new product reviews are more like ads after awhile.

With that, there's not much we can talk about except our journeys, and we don't grow hair over night so the conversation is slow. It sucks, but hey, what can we do?

I get that and I completely agree, especially with the bolded. (I don't want to see another person jump into the shower. lol. not interested.) I guess I'm looking for more personal hair journey posts and less let me teach you this about hair care/watch me do some craziness to my hair posts. But I'll just post my stuff and keep hoping someone else does the same. I think it's more fun with more participants. I will also acknowledge that I am a natural hair newbie so it could be my initial over excitement about this stage of things.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I get that and I completely agree, especially with the bolded. (I don't want to see another person jump into the shower. lol. not interested.) I guess I'm looking for more personal hair journey posts and less let me teach you this about hair care/watch me do some craziness to my hair posts. But I'll just post my stuff and keep hoping someone else does the same. I think it's more fun with more participants. I will also acknowledge that I am a natural hair newbie so it could be my initial over excitement about this stage of things.

I post pics of my hair journey in the APL challenge. I lurk challenges to see hair progress pics. I think people don't make new threads as often, and I also wish they did. I may do a progress thread myself by December to help with getting that trend rolling again with you. Maybe everyone is already WL so they have no more progress pics to show :lol:

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Just ordered three cheap wigs so that I can choose my favorite among them. I won't be able to wear them for 2-3 weeks, but I want to PS until the end of the year and I think wigs will help. I just need to learn to do flat cornrows at some point.

WaistLengthDreams

I post pics of my hair journey in the APL challenge. I lurk challenges to see hair progress pics. I think people don't make new threads as often, and I also wish they did. I may do a progress thread myself by December to help with getting that trend rolling again with you. Maybe everyone is already WL so they have no more progress pics to show :lol:

Is that the secret? I need to start lurking those challenge threads too, lol.

I'm not sure what progress I'll have in December, but I'll post then too. It'll be 5.5 months natural by then.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I'm so ready to take these twists out. I already took out two in the back, they had slipped so much the hair was starting to twist and risk breaking. I didn't like the amount of shed hair for a two week period. They're coming out next weekend to avoid a set back. Keeping them in longer is just asking for trouble.