Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I cannot wear twists. Doesn't even matter what size. Big, small, medium doesn't matter, my hair will tangle up like a beast. You know how little kids will go outside and come back with their hair everywhere? Whatever that is, that's what my hair does :spinning:. So when I put in twists, a day later there's loose hair everywhere, and that junk tangles like crazy :mad:. Perm rods on my ends have been a life saver!!

Do you use Shea butter? Sometimes pure whipped Shea butter can clump and hold twists beautifully.

Picture 1: Without Shea Butter
Is what my hair would always do before I used Shea butter. Unloosening braids was the least of my problems. The real problem were the tangles, and breakage I'd get because the unraveled hair would wrap around the end of the braid creating matted ends.
HairEnds2Unraveled.jpg

Picture 2: With Shea Butter
Now, the curls stay intact:
HairEndsOct2017.jpg

But, I've discovered even these curls are deadly for me for length retention. The more stretched open my curls, the better. But, that's an all together different topic.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
The beauty of really understanding at least the bare minimum that works for your hair is that the time to recover when you :censored: up is less each time. October 2016, I relaxed 6 years worth of natural mbl hair, December 2018 I'm back to APL natural hair stretched. I literally did the bare minimum under my wigs and while my edges show it. I'm fortunate though that my hair has battered wife syndrome so after 2 months off wigs, my edges aren't fully back but when I compare pics I can see they are filling back in, unfortunately it's with gray hair but that's what getting old will do.

I don't know what's next for my hair. I doubt I'll relax again because my 26 week stretch (which is what I used to do religiously) became a 2 year transition. I keep looking at locs but if I can't commit to sitting in a chair for a relaxer, I won't be able to sit in a locticians chair on a regular basis. I'm back to puffs because I'm a creature of habit and I still hate looking like a librarian.

Chicoro

The beauty of really understanding at least the bare minimum that works for your hair is that the time to recover when you :censored: up is less each time. October 2016, I relaxed 6 years worth of natural mbl hair, December 2018 I'm back to APL natural hair stretched. I literally did the bare minimum under my wigs and while my edges show it. I'm fortunate though that my hair has battered wife syndrome so after 2 months off wigs, my edges aren't fully back but when I compare pics I can see they are filling back in, unfortunately it's with gray hair but that's what getting old will do.

I don't know what's next for my hair. I doubt I'll relax again because my 26 week stretch (which is what I used to do religiously) became a 2 year transition. I keep looking at locs but if I can't commit to sitting in a chair for a relaxer, I won't be able to sit in a locticians chair on a regular basis. I'm back to puffs because I'm a creature of habit and I still hate looking like a librarian.

Girl...and what is battered wife syndrome? Excuse me. I know this is not an, 'Open for discussion thread', but I have issues.

ckisland

Do you use Shea butter? Sometimes pure whipped Shea butter can clump and hold twists beautifully.

Picture 1: Without Shea Butter
Is what my hair would always do before I used Shea butter. Unloosening braids was the least of my problems. The real problem were the tangles, and breakage I'd get because the unraveled hair would wrap around the end of the braid creating matted ends.

But, I've discovered even these curls are deadly for me for length retention. The more stretched open my curls, the better. But, that's an all together different topic.
Thanks so much for the suggestion, but I can't use shea butter at all LOL!! And they put shea butter in everything :cry3::cry3:! My porosity is so low that a small bit of oil will barely penetrate! That's why I only use AVJ and a tiny bit of CO to moisturize and seal :laugh: .
What I do need to do is make FSG!!!! That's what I'm missing!

icsonia22

I really wanna henna my hair but I don't have the patience to detangle again. Then again I want to flat iron my blow dried hair and trim my ends but I'll be silkly straight on top and kunta kente in the back since the back isn't long enough to straighten yet. The joys of growing out an undercut...:cry:

faithVA

Thanks so much for the suggestion, but I can't use shea butter at all LOL!! And they put shea butter in everything :cry3::cry3:! My porosity is so low that a small bit of oil will barely penetrate! That's why I only use AVJ and a tiny bit of CO to moisturize and seal :laugh: .
What I do need to do is make FSG!!!! That's what I'm missing!
I don't do many oils either. If you are ever in the market to try a new oil though, I have fallen in love with Mane Magic. I get it from Costco but you can get it from Ulta. It is very light, non-greasy and my hair seems to like it. It's not all natural though. Just if you are ever wanting to try something new.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Girl...and what is battered wife syndrome? Excuse me. I know this is not an, 'Open for discussion thread', but I have issues.
How I treat my hair like a battered wife. All of this was during the 2 years of wearing wigs. I wouldn't dare run the streets doing this with my hair on display.

1. I've been known to wash my hair by smell check or worse seeing gel flakes on my shoulders.
2. I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've worn a bonnet or scarf to bed this year.
3. My hair gets wet every time I get in the shower because of reason 2 but for the most part my moisture regimen is Ecostyler gel.
4. When I detangle I yank (tear) single strand knots and tangles out instead of cutting them.
5. I had the beautician use permanent dye to cover my gray instead of the pounds of henna and indigo sitting in my cabinet.
6. I didn't wear a wig cap for 2 years, which actually probably saved my edges from that 360 degre halo thinning of the edges that you'll see on frequent wig wearers but I still did nothing to protect mine.

I'm sure that I have abused my hair in more ways. The only thing that I have done consistently is make sure my ends were tucked under and not exposed to friction or elements.

Chicoro

How I treat my hair like a battered wife. All of this was during the 2 years of wearing wigs. I wouldn't dare run the streets doing this with my hair on display.

1. I've been known to wash my hair by smell check or worse seeing gel flakes on my shoulders.
2. I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've worn a bonnet or scarf to bed this year.
3. My hair gets wet every time I get in the shower because of reason 2 but for the most part my moisture regimen is Ecostyler gel.
4. When I detangle I yank (tear) single strand knots and tangles out instead of cutting them.
5. I had the beautician use permanent dye to cover my gray instead of the pounds of henna and indigo sitting in my cabinet.
6. I didn't wear a wig cap for 2 years, which actually probably saved my edges from that 360 degre halo thinning of the edges that you'll see on frequent wig wearers but I still did nothing to protect mine.

I'm sure that I have abused my hair in more ways. The only thing that I have done consistently is make sure my ends were tucked under and not exposed to friction or elements.

@Crackers Phinn
"The only thing that I have done consistently is make sure my ends were tucked under and not exposed to friction or elements."

Well, for what it's worth, consistency can never be over rated! So, good for you regarding your ends. I've gotten peeks and sightings of your lovely hair. When you are ready to do some things differently, and when you have a desire, you know what to do. In the meantime, your hair is safe and protected. A little gray ain't go hurt nobody. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Lita

For online purchase-I’m keeping 2019
•Natures Ego-Staple “Entire line works”
•Curls and Potions-4 Staples in this line
•Sally Beauty-I can always get deals/use points

~Bekura Beauty-2 of my staples in this line unfortunately,the prices are ridiculous..I can only purchase if they have a sale..

Happy Hair Growing!

icsonia22

My hair is going through a I don't wanna be straight phase. The ends are trying their hardest to revert. I used my revair to stretch and it was pretty much flat iron straight but then I followed up with a light flat iron from my babyliss pro prima 3000 on 340 (really trying to avoid heat damage. It's the reason I cut my hair to start with. Strands were breaking left and right). My hair laughs at anything below 410 but I'll just have to deal with it. At least I still have a nice stretch.

cocosweet

I want to enter the bsl/mbl challenge but I don’t want to take down my hair for length check pictures. I am tired of these twists though. Ugh.

It looks like I did get a boost from my rice water spray. When I measured behind my ear on 11/28, I had 9”. When I measured this morning, it was around 10.5”. Ditto for the front. My strands are fine and dense, but not as fragile right now.

Looks like it’s a keeper.

Lita

It’s totally different. IMO @Crackers Phinn

The bekura is like molasses thick. The serum is thinner. The serum is for growth and the scalp. I only used the oil to seal with or deep condition.

@Crackers Phinn exactly at what @shawnyblazes said Natures Ego Fenugreek is for your scalp & Bekura Beauty I use on my length to seal in moisture and the combination is awesome..

Happy Hair Growing!