Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
The sweat bands that I’ve been using for workouts (kind of a knock off “save your do” wrap) really work. My leave out hair has stayed smooth (in a kinky straight weave right now) for days and I’ve done at least four HIIT treadmill sprint workouts.

I wear it in a tight ponytail with the sweat band at the front and leave it alone till I get back home. I wrap up my hair as I shower and when I unwrap, it’s straight and smooth.

water_n_oil

The sweat bands that I’ve been using for workouts (kind of a knock off “save your do” wrap) really work. My leave out hair has stayed smooth (in a kinky straight weave right now) for days and I’ve done at least four HIIT treadmill sprint workouts.

I wear it in a tight ponytail with the sweat band at the front and leave it alone till I get back home. I wrap up my hair as I shower and when I unwrap, it’s straight and smooth.
Would love to know which ones you use!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I need a new, more powerful hair dryer to use for diffusing & I'm looking at the Dyson... but since I bought the RevAir last year or so, I feel like I shouldn’t purchase another super expensive hair tool... decisions, decisions....
Suggestions?

Are you replacing the RevAir or getting rid of it?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I think I will buy the RevAir in Q2 of 2021. I'm thinking I will try to get a good trim around the same period of time as well.

So much for this strategy. I checked the price and realized i didn't want to miss the cyber week pricing.

Theresamonet

I havent watched him in years. Met him a few times in person at the hair show in GA. Whats the natural hair watch parties about? @Theresamonet

He does live videos on YouTube where he reacts to other YouTubers hair videos. It gets quite interesting, messy, and a few feuds have been born.

I used to be fond of him back in the day when he made regular videos... Not sure how I feel about him now, after tuning in to a few ( or several :look: ) of his watch parties.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I washed my hair while on vacation and was not prepared. Even after buying a blow dryer, cowash, serum and scrunchies it was a failed blow dry at best. I put it in 4 plaits and wigged it til I got home.

Today I sprayed my hair and scalp with xcel21, sectioned it, put smaller braids, chebe oil on my scalp with a massage and I put long term relationship on my ends. Today was a good day!

GettingKinky

I washed my hair while on vacation and was not prepared. Even after buying a blow dryer, cowash, serum and scrunchies it was a failed blow dry at best. I put it in 4 plaits and wigged it til I got home.

Today I sprayed my hair and scalp with xcel21, sectioned it, put smaller braids, chebe oil on my scalp with a massage and I put long term relationship on my ends. Today was a good day!
I really don’t like trying to do my hair on vacation. If I have to wash it, it goes straight into a bun.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
What are y’all thoughts on Afrikanhairgod on YouTube? Particularly his natural hair watch parties.
I used to really enjoy his informative hair videos and his skating videos. Those watch party videos are HOURS long. I can’t. But he did just start a new series (I think there have been two so far) that are super shortened versions (about 15 minutes or less). One was about Mo Knows Hair and the other was some other hairstylist. I actually watched and enjoyed them. :look: :blush2:

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

my hair came out great with my last wash. It feels moisturized, healthy, just overall amazing for the first time in months.... I think adding the protein in my prepoo was part of the reason why my hair came out so well.

I just mixed up my prepoo concoction for the next couple of wash days.. This time i put a banana, an avocado, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp homemade herbal oil infusion, 1 tbsp auvedic pack ( a bunch of auvedic herbs) 1 tbsp melted shea butter mix, and topped it all off with maybe 10 pumps of giovanni smooth as silk conditioner.

its sitting in the fridge waiting for me to start my wash day....

i intend to put the prepoo in and apply heat for 1 hr.
then shampoo with maui moisture shampoo
dc with shea moisture manuka honey dc for 30 min with heat
rinse and apply kinky curly knot today
qhemet biologics amla & olive heavy cream
and seal with my shea mixture in 8 sections
then braid up the sections to stretch them while they dry..

i'll wear the braided up hair in a bun with my silk scrunchie until i feel like removing the braids and doing something else.

GGsKin

I used to really enjoy his informative half videos and his skating videos. Those watch party videos are HOURS long. I can’t. But he did just start a new series (I think there have been two so far) that are super shortened versions (about 15 minutes or less). One was about Mo Knows Hair and the other was some other hairstylist. I actually watched and enjoyed them. :look: :blush2:

I've never watched his videos before. After @Theresamonet posted, I checked out a couple of his quick ones and then stumbled onto one of his 3hr epic watch party streams from two weeks ago- the 'Rise and Shine' one with an old African Export video. I didn't think I was going to watch it all. There were some dry bits but for the most part, it was quite entertaining. He was shady but not mean in my opinion, and gave props when they were due. He ended with an old video of his and he didn't go unscathed.

GettingKinky

my hair came out great with my last wash. It feels moisturized, healthy, just overall amazing for the first time in months.... I think adding the protein in my prepoo was part of the reason why my hair came out so well.

I just mixed up my prepoo concoction for the next couple of wash days.. This time i put a banana, an avocado, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp homemade herbal oil infusion, 1 tbsp auvedic pack ( a bunch of auvedic herbs) 1 tbsp melted shea butter mix, and topped it all off with maybe 10 pumps of giovanni smooth as silk conditioner.

its sitting in the fridge waiting for me to start my wash day....

i intend to put the prepoo in and apply heat for 1 hr.
then shampoo with maui moisture shampoo
dc with shea moisture manuka honey dc for 30 min with heat
rinse and apply kinky curly knot today
qhemet biologics amla & olive heavy cream
and seal with my shea mixture in 8 sections
then braid up the sections to stretch them while they dry..

i'll wear the braided up hair in a bun with my silk scrunchie until i feel like removing the braids and doing something else.
My hair loves protein. It holds onto moisture so much better after I use it.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
:fistshake:

After being natural forever, I have entered my first serious attempt to wear wash and go's. It's been pretty much one fail after another for the last 2 weeks. My hair has looked kinda "ok enough" once or twice in this time. I have been using the reasonably priced to cheap products on my regular roster. Black Friday, I bought the Aveda Be Curly set (poo,con, leave in, frizz control) full price $105 BF price $79. I used it last night and my wash and go looks amazing. It looks like I went to G-ds own hair shingling salon and gave me bouncy moist looking, shiny adjacent coils that swang when I move my head.

Based on how much I used last night, I will probably run through all products except for shampoo in 2 weeks maybe 2.5 weeks tops. $100+/month on hair products won't break me (cost of a trip to the salon) but how come wetline gel and coconut oil for $10 don't do the same for my hair? It just had to be the super bougie unicorn tear concoction with unicorn price tag that would do me right.

:cry3:

Theresamonet

I've never watched his videos before. After @Theresamonet posted, I checked out a couple of his quick ones and then stumbled onto one of his 3hr epic watch party streams from two weeks ago- the 'Rise and Shine' one with an old African Export video. I didn't think I was going to watch it all. There were some dry bits but for the most part, it was quite entertaining. He was shady but not mean in my opinion, and gave props when they were due. He ended with an old video of his and he didn't go unscathed.

I think most of the videos can be described this way. Although some of them get a little extra ratchet. Usually the ones where he is drunk. The one for his b-day (it’s been removed), was too much. But this one was uber entertaining.

I would have been embarrassed to act like this on camera, and I felt that he was letting his “fans” egg him on to drink more, get meaner, and just act a fool. It was a funny watch though.

Theresamonet

After being natural forever, I have entered my first serious attempt to wear wash and go's. It's been pretty much one fail after another for the last 2 weeks. My hair has looked kinda "ok enough" once or twice in this time. I have been using the reasonably priced to cheap products on my regular roster. Black Friday, I bought the Aveda Be Curly set (poo,con, leave in, frizz control) full price $105 BF price $79. I used it last night and my wash and go looks amazing. It looks like I went to G-ds own hair shingling salon and gave me bouncy moist looking, shiny adjacent coils that swang when I move my head.

Based on how much I used last night, I will probably run through all products except for shampoo in 2 weeks maybe 2.5 weeks tops. $100+/month on hair products won't break me (cost of a trip to the salon) but how come wetline gel and coconut oil for $10 don't do the same for my hair? It just had to be the super bougie unicorn tear concoction with unicorn price tag that would do me right.

I made a Black Friday Aveda haul too, and was tempted to get the Be Curly leave in as my free item. I guess I’m definitely going to have to grab it this summer when I go back to a curly routine. I had the leave in back in the day, but I’m sure I wasn’t using it right.

My hair care routine is fairly expensive now, mostly Aveda and Kerastase, with a few other salon products thrown in from Joico mostly. I’m fine with this, cause I’m seeing better results.

Speaking of my Aveda haul. I ordered:

2 large paddle brush
2 Brilliant universal styling cream
2 Brilliant finishing gloss
1 Control paste
1 Free Smooth Infusion styler

They only sent me one paddle brush, and one of my finishing glosses had a crack in the bottle. Called them, they sent out replacements right away. That package came today, and it was much heavier than the original package, so I’m confused. I open it, and it’s my stuff plus a liter of Blue Malva shampoo. I look it up and it’s a damn $60 purple shampoo for blondes and grey heads... What kind of unlucky luck is this?! :lol: Of all the things they could have gifted or accidentally sent me, they chose the one item they sell that I can’t do anything with.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Glad you find a combo that works. Imo that one of the biggest hurdles.

I've been wanting to try wetline cause it's so popular but me and gel only wash and gos fight every time I try it.