Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Mapleoats

I don’t have the energy either. My life has been super stressful as of late, but the thing about my natural hair is that it can’t be put on pause. My hair has to be constantly tended to in order maintain a good condition.
Oh yes. The only way I can put my hair on pause is with protective styling. I’ve been in protective styles like 75-80% of the time the past 4-5 months. It’s been a life saver but I also don’t feel sustainable for me. I don’t know, I don’t have answers. I need a break from doing my hair without having a break from seeing my hair lol.

DVAntDany

Ugh, I feel like since I’ve started officially following the BGC method with a CIK stylist that my hair looks limp. I initially thought the recent fast drying wash and go was the answer to my troubles. However, every time I use the Quidad Climate Control gel, my hair becomes tangled after shampooing. I can’t get my fingers nor detangling brush through my conditioner coated hair.

At first I thought my ends needed to be severely trimmed until I clarified. I wash my hair pretty frequently so cowashing or using a moisturizing shampoo is often advised. I can barely get away with using an AP shampoo 2 times a week when using the fast drying wng combo. Clarifying seems to be the only thing that helps. Afterwards, I’m able to glide through my hair like melted butter.

Is this gel really causing such a strong buildup on my hair that I practically need to clarify it off after every use? I want to ask on the SSC society forum but I’m afraid. I don’t think they will “yell” at me, but I don’t want to be gaslighted into thinking it’s poor technique or something.

Searching for a soft hold styler has also been a major fail. Am I destined to have limp looking hair until I get some significant length or is there a simple solution out there?

GettingKinky

I don’t have the energy either. My life has been super stressful as of late, but the thing about my natural hair is that it can’t be put on pause. My hair has to be constantly tended to in order maintain a good condition.
You should join us in the wash n go thread. They can be a pretty low maintenance hair style that only require dealing with your hair once a week.
Ugh, I feel like since I’ve started officially following the BGC method with a CIK stylist that my hair looks limp. I initially thought the recent fast drying wash and go was the answer to my troubles. However, every time I use the Quidad Climate Control gel, my hair becomes tangled after shampooing. I can’t get my fingers nor detangling brush through my conditioner coated hair.

At first I thought my ends needed to be severely trimmed until I clarified. I wash my hair pretty frequently so cowashing or using a moisturizing shampoo is often advised. I can barely get away with using an AP shampoo 2 times a week when using the fast drying wng combo. Clarifying seems to be the only thing that helps. Afterwards, I’m able to glide through my hair like melted butter.

Is this gel really causing such a strong buildup on my hair that I practically need to clarify it off after every use? I want to ask on the SSC society forum but I’m afraid. I don’t think they will “yell” at me, but I don’t want to be gaslighted into thinking it’s poor technique or something.

Searching for a soft hold styler has also been a major fail. Am I destined to have limp looking hair until I get some significant length or is there a simple solution out there?
with all the $$ you pay to be in see some curls you need to ask. But I know what you mean about the gaslighting. You would think they would be more helpful once you pay, but that isn’t always the case.

Theresamonet

You should join us in the wash n go thread. They can be a pretty low maintenance hair style that only require dealing with your hair once a week.

It’s been a while, but I have pictures posted in that thread. I’m no stranger to wash and go styling. While it can be low maintenance, for my hair it can also become damaging very quickly. My hair is prone to SSKs, if I let it get a little too dry or too shrunken. Which is what happened.

I just get very annoyed with the margin of error with my natural hair being so slim. I know what to do to properly care for my hair, and for the most part it does well. But any short lapse in care is a setback to some degree for me. It pissed me off so much that stretching that wash and go for an extra 2 days resulted in a head full of fairy knots, which will end up as splits if I leave them.

That said, I decided against relaxing my hair. I spent last night cutting out the knots, and I scheduled a professional trim for next week.

DVAntDany

with all the $$ you pay to be in see some curls you need to ask. But I know what you mean about the gaslighting. You would think they would be more helpful once you pay, but that isn’t always the case.
I had finally quit paying them but for the all coin I did pay…yeah, I deserve helpful answers. I did go ahead and ask early early this morning after reading your reply. Thanks for inspiring me to get a back bone. I’m surprised to have found another soul who had the same experience.

It legitimately feels like I put a serum on top of my hair when I try to wash it out with a moisturizing shampoo or cowash. It’s been a long while since I’ve straightened my hair but it reminded me of chi silk infusion. It gives a slick feeling my hair does not naturally have.

I read last night that polyquats can easily build up on hair. That’s mainly what Quidad’s gel is comprised of. I’m taking a break from product hunting for light weight styling products. I’ll ask my stylist on the 18th what she suggests. I will be paying for her expertise.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
It’s been a while since I’ve been on this side, cause I’ve been ignoring my hair.

I’m legit considering texlaxing my hair again. I’ve been relaxed and then natural, and then relaxed and then natural again, like 66 times in the last decade. I really want to just get somewhere and sit down, but me and being natural ain’t vibin’ (never really have, if I’m being honest).

I’m starting to feel like DDtexlaxed. ( :lol: )

I feel like DDtexlaxed too!

I keep chemically altering my hair and then chopping it off. Now I feel baldheaded. I am trying to stay natural but the keratin and smoothing treatments are calling me.

My hair looked exactly how I wanted it to look which I miss but I always had to cut it off and couldn't retain length because of new growth. I am trying to stay au natural for a while.(no heat training or relaxer or smoothing treatments or keratin) I'm trying to embrace my raw hair with all of its ups and downs. I thought about locing it up but my hair is too fine and they will be too scalpy.

DVAntDany

I feel like DDtexlaxed too!

I keep chemically altering my hair and then chopping it off. Now I feel baldheaded. I am trying to stay natural but the keratin and smoothing treatments are calling me.

My hair looked exactly how I wanted it to look which I miss but I always had to cut it off and couldn't retain length because of new growth. I am trying to stay au natural for a while.(no heat training or relaxer or smoothing treatments or keratin) I'm trying to embrace my raw hair with all of its ups and downs. I thought about locing it up but my hair is too fine and they will be too scalpy.
Did you find your hair becoming thermally relaxed hair because of keratin treatments? When I use to buy and do it myself, it took months to wear off but eventually it did on natural unprocessed hair. My only problem came when I decided to color my hair and the chemically treated parts would never revert back fully.

If it were okay to simply touch up the roots with the treatment instead of doing the entire length, I would have never gone back to my natural hair. Sometimes the ends would be much looser than the roots. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve used any, but I’m sure they have come out with better technology in the keratin treatment department.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Did you find your hair becoming thermally relaxed hair because of keratin treatments? When I use to buy and do it myself, it took months to wear off but eventually it did on natural unprocessed hair. My only problem came when I decided to color my hair and the chemically treated parts would never revert back fully.

If it were okay to simply touch up the roots with the treatment instead of doing the entire length, I would have never gone back to my natural hair. Sometimes the ends would be much looser than the roots. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve used any, but I’m sure they have come out with better technology in the keratin treatment department
There was a product I was using called hair botox which I loved. I applied to to the roots only to prevent my hair from getting straight. My hair was so beautiful and retained my length. I thought I had "perfected" the process but I decided to get it cut by a curly stylist and she couldn't define my curls so she told me my hair texture was damaged and cut it all off. I wish I never did that.

DVAntDany

There was a product I was using called hair botox which I loved. I applied to to the roots only to prevent my hair from getting straight. My hair was so beautiful and retained my length. I thought I had "perfected" the process but I decided to get it cut by a curly stylist and she couldn't define my curls so she told me my hair texture was damaged and cut it all off. I wish I never did that.
I’m sorry for your (hair) loss.

That’s wasn’t entirely your mistake. Who would have guessed the stylist would make such a rash judgement. I’m assuming you mainly wore your hair curly. So it made sense to try and get a curly cut.

If wearing natural hair is not making you happy and you’d rather be anything but, just do what your first mind is telling you. There is no honor in being a martyr until your dead. So why kill yourself with a belief that causes you anguish? It may not be that bad, but you get what I mean. Lol

Over the years, I feel I have mastered doing silk pressing, keratin treatments, installing sew-ins/braids, twist/braid outs and dealing with locs. The one hairstyle that I have never felt I even come close to conquering is the wash and go. One would think it would be the easiest style of all. That’s why I’m on the journey to stick through it. Are you on a similar path?

Also, don’t feel defeated because of one mistake. That allows bad discipline and hasty decisions to creep in. At least that how it does with me. These challenges make you stronger and give you wisdom.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’m sorry for your (hair) loss.

That’s wasn’t entirely your mistake. Who would have guessed the stylist would make such a rash judgement. I’m assuming you mainly wore your hair curly. So it made sense to try and get a curly cut.

If wearing natural hair is not making you happy and you’d rather be anything but, just do what your first mind is telling you. There is no honor in being a martyr until your dead. So why kill yourself with a belief that causes you anguish? It may not be that bad, but you get what I mean. Lol

Over the years, I feel I have mastered doing silk pressing, keratin treatments, installing sew-ins/braids, twist/braid outs and dealing with locs. The one hairstyle that I have never felt I even come close to conquering is the wash and go. One would think it would be the easiest style of all. That’s why I’m on the journey to stick through it. Are you on a similar path?

Also, don’t feel defeated because of one mistake. That allows bad discipline and hasty decisions to creep in. At least that how it does with me. These challenges make you stronger and give you wisdom.
Yeah I regret that cut. I okayed the cut though because I thought I had damaged my hair. Even after the cut she couldnt get my hair to curl. When I got home I used my techniques and products my hair curled right up. That's when I realized it was her technique that was flawed. I still paid over 200 for a jacked up cut. It wasn't even stylish/cute. I'm still growing it out.

I want to try and stay natural but last year I did a botox treatment from a different brand and got mediocre results. Ever since then I haven't been interested in trying anything new and just dealing with my natural hair. I did want to go back and use a treatment I really liked, the arosci restructuring foam. It gave me nice results and was truly temporary. I have access to it because I still have my license and I'm thinking of trying it again.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
T shirt drying be making a fool out of me. I need two shirts cause my hair holds so much water when it’s wet and it makes the shirt soaked.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
@Napp I remember your posts about Hair Botox, they were some of the first. You really inspired me to take the leap into keratin and smoothing treatments. I'm really sorry for what happened to you.

I had a stylist like that ask me why I keratin treated my hair and tell me that I would eventually have to chop all my hair off. I switched stylists immediately to someone who does keratin treatments regularly and I've never been happier.

I don't know if I would keep my hair long if it weren't for keratin. I'm currently 5 months out and while you can see the line of demarcation if you look for it, the textures blend really well. That said my roots behave drastically differently than my mid-lengths and ends. I blow dried my hair yesterday and there were literal mats and webs in my roots. That's just my hair texture and I have too much life to live to be dealing with 3 hour dry detangling sessions anymore.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
@Napp I remember your posts about Hair Botox, they were some of the first. You really inspired me to take the leap into keratin and smoothing treatments. I'm really sorry for what happened to you.

I had a stylist like that ask me why I keratin treated my hair and tell me that I would eventually have to chop all my hair off. I switched stylists immediately to someone who does keratin treatments regularly and I've never been happier.

I don't know if I would keep my hair long if it weren't for keratin. I'm currently 5 months out and while you can see the line of demarcation if you look for it, the textures blend really well. That said my roots behave drastically differently than my mid-lengths and ends. I blow dried my hair yesterday and there were literal mats and webs in my roots. That's just my hair texture and I have too much life to live to be dealing with 3 hour dry detangling sessions anymore.
I'm glad my posts had a lasting effect on someone lol. I miss the keratin treated life. It was the way my hair acted I loved the most. It makes it so manageable, it almost felt like somebody else's hair :cloud9: what brand do you use?

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I'm glad my posts had a lasting effect on someone lol. I miss the keratin treated life. It was the way my hair acted I loved the most. It makes it so manageable, it almost felt like somebody else's hair :cloud9: what brand do you use?
It is the manageability for me.

My current stylist is using Alfaparf and I love it. There's no flat ironing or blow drying with the product in. I just sit under the dryer with it, rinse it out, and she straightens with a normal amount of passes and heat. Before that I tried Avlon Texture Release and Goldwell Kerasilk on myself. My technique wasn't great so the results were so-so.

I'm moving to Toronto soon though so very nervous about finding a new stylist and trying whatever treatment they have.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I was so sleepy last night after washing my hair and trying to let it air dry, that I fell asleep without covering my head and my hair shrunk soo much lmao. APB Murumuru cream to the rescue but I went absolutely bonkers with it. Got a good detangle with it even though I had to do itty bitty sections because I couldn’t find anything but a rat tail comb at the time. I think I used a little TOO much lol. It reminds me of Blended Cuties Tug Me Not old formula which makes me paranoid because I loved it so much then they broke my heart by changing the formula.

GettingKinky

Shampooing is easier than clay washes and don't benefit my hair much so no more buying those.
KCCC should come in a bigger size.
Sometimes I want that Dyson and sometimes I wonder when I'd even use it.
I use my Dyson every week. I haven’t compared my results to my old blow dryer with diffuser though so I can’t say if it’s worth all the extra $$$

sunshinebeautiful

Hmmm... now that I think about it, my hair was extra tangly the wash after I used the Mousse Def/Ouidad Climate Control gel combo as well. I've tried it twice and I'm not a fan so IDK if I would use this combo again.

DVAntDany

Hmmm... now that I think about it, my hair was extra tangly the wash after I used the Mousse Def/Ouidad Climate Control gel combo as well. I've tried it twice and I'm not a fan so IDK if I would use this combo again.
I wish I had learned my lesson after the 3rd time. Lol.

I haven’t touched it since I used up the last of my sample bottle. I still have a little bottle of the original one and don’t know what to do with it. I think it might be the polyquats building up.

The SSC society was actually pretty nice about it. Another person had similar results. They suggested tips to tweek the application. Also, it was mentioned that there are quite a few people who have tangling with UFD. I’m also one of those people but it’s mild for me. The introduction of ICH and PS give the slip I need.

I just don’t think that product is for me. I’m so glad I did not jump to get a big bottle.