Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

MzSwift

I had a dirty thought motivated by how tired I've been lately. I wonder how long I can go without washing my hair :scratchchin:
Even better I wonder how long I can keep this set of braids in, just keep refreshing them :lachen:

Don't mind me, I've been exhausted lately. Like for my kid's graduation, I'm just going to put a half wig with a headband on lol.

:bighug:

GL with everything! Senior year was last year for us and OMG, it was hectic! I felt that way too and I locced my hair. But I missed my hair and I regret doing something that permanent even though I know better. lol

I actually think the next time I feel that way I'm going to do just what you're saying. Put in some mini braids and just keep refreshing them.
I did that for 4 months straight toward the end of my pregnancy and when my little one was a newborn. It helped so much to not have to think about my hair. And to have an easy style that can be worn out or easily covered by a wig.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Do what you have to, sis! lol
I absolutely understand. And when you're busy, the last thing you want to do is more work during your "relax" time.

GL finding a stylist! Is there a Dominican salon near you or a beauty school? They could do something even as basic as wash, DC and double french braid or something that'll last at least a week.
I need to look up schools. I know I went to Aveeda school when I big chopped and it was a experience. I played with my blow out Sunday which helped get my hair flat for a smooth pony. May rock this for a while.

abioni

How do you ladies who blow dry often deal with the amount of hair on the brush? I usually air dry or roller set but today I decided to be fancy and blow dry my hair and put it in bantu knots. I started freaking out after doing the first section because of the amount of hair on my brush. I switched to a comb attachment which reduced the amount of shed hair but there was still hair on the comb. The comb attachment was easier and faster to use but my ends were not as smooth.

GGsKin

How do you ladies who blow dry often deal with the amount of hair on the brush? I usually air dry or roller set but today I decided to be fancy and blow dry my hair and put it in bantu knots. I started freaking out after doing the first section because of the amount of hair on my brush. I switched to a comb attachment which reduced the amount of shed hair but there was still hair on the comb. The comb attachment was easier and faster to use but my ends were not as smooth.
When do you do the majority of your detangling? Maybe its the shed hair that just hasn't been removed during your wash. For the past two wash cycles, I've done my main detangling/ shed hair removal at the conditioner stage with a brush, so by the time I get to blowdrying, there is almost no hair in the brush when I blow dry with my Denman.

Lylddlebit

Hi there. When you get more hair in the blow dryer brush than the blow dryer comb attachment, that means you have increased breakage when using the brush attachment and have to work on your technique a bit more. Shedding doesn't increase based on technique and/or tool, but breakage does. You should gently, yet, throughly detangle your hair before blow drying it.

When you stretch you hair with heat, tension is to stretch the hair and set it but the bristles of your tool should glide through your hair smoothly. When your hair snags or hits a tangle while blow drying, you can take a step back, detangle with a wide tooth comb or detangling brush better then resume blow drying. You can also make your sections of hair smaller, if that helps you detangle then blow dry more efficiently. If blow drying as a means of detangling you will typically get significantly more breakage than blow drying already detangled hair(especially if you are a type 4, looser textures may be able to get away with it). Leave-in/heat protectants that have slip are also very useful in the detangle stage prior to blow drying. Happy blow drying!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just started taking Chlorella this week. I’m looking forward to the hair and body benefits. I got my hair done today. Here is a pic fresh out of the dryer… One day I’ll let her just blow the roots so I can keep some texture.

Once she irons it, it’s way too flat for me.4740F8B6-1B87-439A-B53F-467F9CE33377.jpeg

Evolving78

I finally finished my hair. But now the back needs to be redone :lachen:
See this is why I keep cutting my hair and will stay natural. Slap my hair in a puff and keep it moving! I may grow my hair out, but I need to keep things simple! I haven’t colored or bleached my hair and it feels different. The color and or bleach always had my hair feeling dry. Then I gotta run out and buy a bunch of conditioners. I want to use this black rinse today, but I don’t want my hair to feel dry.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Y’all my nose ring fell out a couple nights ago in my sleep. I still haven’t found the ring.

I look like an adult now lol. I’ve been wanting to buy this ginger cleansing conditioner for a minute. I might use a pass this month (no buy challenge) and finally get it.

Oh yeah I almost forgot… I dry shampooed with corn starch today. I may have put too much cuz there’s a powdery white cast on my hair. Hope it’s blended in before work tomorrow.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Made an amazing banana bread from the brand Simple Mills. Added in extra ripe bananas and white chocolate made with stevia. Gone in 5 mins lol.

I really like this brand, I'll try out the brownie mix today. Might add in some applesauce in place of the oil

GettingKinky

Never again will I do mini twists for a swimming vacation.
I didn’t like how they turned out initially- probably because I need practice. But also they started coming unraveled and got fuzzy super quickly.
I am dreading taking them out tomorrow. I can only imagine how tangled they are. :-(

fifi134

Never again will I do mini twists for a swimming vacation.
I didn’t like how they turned out initially- probably because I need practice. But also they started coming unraveled and got fuzzy super quickly.
I am dreading taking them out tomorrow. I can only imagine how tangled they are. :-(

Meanwhile I just got back from vacation and opted to do passion twists instead of mini twists on my own hair, and I will also never do that again. I hope you have better luck than me with taking them out. As careful as I was, I had a lot of knots at the end of the hair strands. :sad:

GettingKinky

Meanwhile I just got back from vacation and opted to do passion twists instead of mini twists on my own hair, and I will also never do that again. I hope you have better luck than me with taking them out. As careful as I was, I had a lot of knots at the end of the hair strands. :sad:
I’m 99% done most of my hair wasn’t so bad. I used a spray bottle,a cheapie conditioner with cones, and a fine tooth comb for when I ran into knots. The worst knots are at the very back. I kept pulling my hair into 2 low ponytails so the worst unraveling was back there and of course that’s the most difficult spot to work on. I’m giving this last little bit another hour of trying before I pull out the scissors. Next swimming vacation I’m taking a cheapie conditioner and I will just wash my hair everyday and wear a puff.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I am 50-something years old and still trying to figure out my hair. I even prayed, "Lord, You put this stuff on my scalp; help me deal with it." LOL!

I am so glad people are still making hair videos. They are a big help.

I found someone who can cut my hair without straightening it and do emergency braids. Yay.

These newer styling products (I need to try more mousses) are great on my unconditioned hair.

Avoiding coconut oil in products has gotten easier.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Threw a relaxer on my head so haphazardly but thankfully it was ok since I’m not a bone straight girl. I love how my hair grows longer on one side and thankful to bun it and go. Grey hair should only be assigned to those who look good w it, it’s just rude.

I have never in all my time on this site even back 10 yrs ago posted hair but as much as I think it’s not growing she did a lil something. I know it needs a trim and yes the grey acts like a kid wo training at Walmart but since I have been so close to shaving my head I’m just going to post. My last relaxer was in Dec22

Attachments

• IMG_3525.png
    IMG_3525.png
    432.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’m 99% done most of my hair wasn’t so bad. I used a spray bottle,a cheapie conditioner with cones, and a fine tooth comb for when I ran into knots. The worst knots are at the very back. I kept pulling my hair into 2 low ponytails so the worst unraveling was back there and of course that’s the most difficult spot to work on. I’m giving this last little bit another hour of trying before I pull out the scissors. Next swimming vacation I’m taking a cheapie conditioner and I will just wash my hair everyday and wear a puff.
Omg I’m going on a swimming trip and got my hair braided with only my own hair. Hopefully I won’t run into the same problem