Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by AlliCat, Apr 27, 2011.

1. KinksAndInk

KinksAndInk Professional napper

Blog Posts:
    Beautician Friends I think the model name is campbell

2. SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I cannot believe how long my hair has gotten in its curly state! The longer it gets the more it hangs.

ForumRunner_20150307_101252.jpg

ForumRunner_20150307_101339.jpg

3. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    Now that I no longer have Thursdays free...I don't know what my new wash day will be. I guess I'll have to do wash night on Wednesdays or spread wash day over 2 days.

4. NaturallyATLPCH

NaturallyATLPCH Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow, the colored portion of my hair is retaining moisture better then the sides and back of my hair (which is not colored). Any breakage that I get is not from the colored portion, not that I get any abnormal breakage anyway. There is some, but not enough where I need to panic. I just think it's funny that color supposedly dries your hair and breaks it but my hair is in better shape because of it.

Maybe I should've just colored my whole head. :lol:

5. maxineshaw

maxineshaw Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    She said "your hair looks good today", but what I heard was "your hair looks good TODAY" as in not really any other day...:lol:

6. spacetygrss

spacetygrss Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    My ends are annoying me to no end (no pun intended)! I was doing a search and destroy and decided to just go ahead and trim 1/2 an inch because that's essentially what was happening anyhow. My hair hates me. If I put it in twists/braids I end up with splits all up and down the hair shaft, no matter how much I moisturize. If I keep it bunned, my ends split. Sigh.

7. flyygirlll2

flyygirlll2 Lioness mane

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    spacetygrss I've been gradually trimming my hair since late last year to get rid of my damaged ends. This year I've already cut 3 inches off. Have you tried using some protein? or sometimes it could be mechanical as well depending on how you detangle the hair or manipulate it. I've been trying something new lately; I M&S with shea butter and use Saran Wrap on the ends and roll them up in silk covered rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

8. spacetygrss

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I'm high porosity so I use some amount protein every wash day. I had decreased my hard protein to about once a month, with light protein inbetween, but I've decided to up the hard protein for a little while.
    I know where most of my damage came from. When my hair was in the NL-to-SL stage I wore my hair in two-strand twists constantly out of convenience. The problem is two-fold:
    (1) I have different textures and thickness of strands throughout my head, so my coarser strands were literally shredding my finer strands.
    (2) Short of drenching my hair, it's really hard to moisturize my hair while in twists and braids.
    I stopped with the constant TSTs about a year ago and essentially all of the new growth is free of splits.

I mostly finger detangle. I switched all of my combs to seamless combs several months ago, so when I do use a comb there's less chance of mechanical damage. I don't manipulate my hair unless it's coated in oil and/or conditioner.

I'm going to trim my hair each month until the old damage is gone. Healthy hair is way more important than length, IMO.

9. Mmfood

Mmfood Member

Blog Posts:
    I put curls in an old wig and it was like I had a brand new one. I love changing it up like that.

10. PlainJane

PlainJane Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I really need to trim the back of my hair but I'm afraid of it looking crazy and uneven. Tempted to go to super cuts like other ladies mentioned in other threads.

11. CluelessJL

CluelessJL Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Attempting a two-strand twist out for the first time tonight. Eek...

12. flyygirlll2

flyygirlll2 Lioness mane

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    spacetygrss at least you have an idea on where most of the damage came from. I think using some protein and gradually trimming the hair will help. I agree healthy hair is definitely more important than length in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

13. sweetpea7

sweetpea7 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I cowash and dc 1x a week and moisturize and seal right after. In the pic is a fully dry lazy wash n go. Rinsed some confuse through in the shower and slapped on a quarter size of KCNT. Do you guys think my frizz will decrease and I would get better curl definition if I increase my cowash and dc to 2x a week? TIA

Attached Files:

14. shawnyblazes

shawnyblazes Bette Davis Eyes

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes I wonder why I protective style? After two weeks im so over it. I just figure I might as well chop it to 2 or 3 inches and call it a day.

How in the world will I make it 9 more weeks. -_-

15. FollicleFanatic

FollicleFanatic Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I was upset earlier bc my mom waited to tell me today she'd been in a car accident(she was in a very bad one a couple yrs ago) the previous day.

She said the police officer was looking at her a little funny when he was writing up the report. She asked her friend who was the driver what was the cop's problem and the friend said it's your hair. My mom said yeah what about it and her friend told her she just had her wig cap on.

When they got rear ended my mom's wig flew off and she didn't even realize :lachen: She was mortified. Even the Dr who examined her laughed. Mom is doing fine BTW.

16. Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    wherever damage hair needs to be eradicated!
    Oh wow, I hope she is well but Imust say I chuckled a bit :look:

17. krissyhair

krissyhair Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    My tip for increased definition and decreased frizz is to really thoroughly finger comb the product in to smooth it down. It works best on really soaking wet hair, so if you can do it in the shower, and tshirt dry your edges and ends, then let it air dry the rest of the way.

18. winona

winona Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ugggh I need a gel that won't flake but has stronger hold than my FSG/AVG combo for my bun:/

19. LaFemmeNaturelle

LaFemmeNaturelle Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I think I'm going to start flat ironing with one pass. Pretty sure I can get it just as straight as long as I use the comb-chase method with the first pass rather than the second.

20. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    I resisted the urge to buy hair products at target today. I was eyeing a few things but since I'm wigging it until June it's pointless for me to buy full priced products right now. But I did notice that they have my SM color system in stock, in the exact color I like. I left my target card at home so I didn't grab any but I will be grabbing 3 when I go by there tomorrow. I need those for summer :look:

21. fatimablush

fatimablush Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    i big chopped my hair. my hair was growing in patches..it took forever to grow. i couldn't wear it out the way i liked since it was too uneven. i big chopped with a pair of clippers. i took it really low. i am waiting for my sis to wake up so she can shape the back. i did a pretty good job. i just cleaned up the back and sides. once the back is done it will look perfect. i used to do my own hair years ago. i was nervous but SO said my hair looks really nice. he keeps touching my head saying my hair feels really soft. he couldn't clean up my hair since he had surgery on his hand the other day.

22. Lilmama1011

Blog Posts:
    Just mixed my henna. Looks like brownie mix! I made it more watery than I ever did because last time it balled up on me and it was crumbs everywhere so hopefully it will work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  23. spacetygrss

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I'm going to try using mostly one line (Komaza Care, with AO GPB and Joico MRB thrown in) for awhile and see what happens. I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed down what was causing my issues (splits, etc), but I think that sticking with one line of products meant to go together will be helpful.

24. Lilmama1011

Blog Posts:
    I took an hour off the henna dye release because even after getting a little on my thumb while mixing, I just look down and seen it has stained my fingers orange. I might take another hour off and just do 3 hrs release. This releases quick!

25. Lilmama1011

Blog Posts:
    I had a dream I hennaed my hair and I looked like carrot top. It was because I had blond random pieces in my hair. But in my dream, I still thought it was cute :look:

26. BranwenRosewood

BranwenRosewood Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I've set my BC date for sometime in Sept because I am not dealing with transitioning hair on my cruise in Oct. I should be around 19 months post relaxer by then. I'm going to focus on gaining as much length as possible by Sept because I don't like hair shorter than SL on me.

27. Lilmama1011

Blog Posts:
    I just detangled my 6 day old flexi rod set. I seriously THINK I'm done with curly hair. It was cool when I was growing it out at first because I didn't know how significant of a decrease of shedded hair and breakage it would be with wearing other styles other than curly,but I see that now. I lost more hair than I usually do and I'm pretty sure it was a mix of shedded and small breakage. I have to learn some more styles. I will be doing a bun this week but I don't want to get addicted

28. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    I need to recurl my wig. These ratty ends look a hot mess.

29. Lilmama1011

Blog Posts:
    Last time I measured my front was 13 inches and my back was 12 inches. Mow my front is 15 3/4 inch and my back is 14 1/4inches.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  30. Anaisin

Anaisin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Curls truly isn't ish for hiking the price of that new cream gel up. $25 smh, I barely wanted to pay the original $18 price. Oh well, I'll just get some Pattern pusha which is $1 less and 8 ounces more