Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

GettingKinky

Aw man. Changed it how?

the biggest change to me is that the protein source is no longer hydrolyzed keratin.
I haven’t purchased the new version but there are quite a few reviews on Sephora complaining about it. I also think that oils are higher on the list of ingredients, but I would have to double check that.

oneastrocurlie

the biggest change to me is that the protein source is no longer hydrolyzed keratin.
I haven’t purchased the new version but there are quite a few reviews on Sephora complaining about it. I also think that oils are higher on the list of ingredients, but I would have to double check that.

I just compared my current jar with what's on their site. The ingredient list is totally flipped around. Behentrimonium Methosulfate which was the 4th ingredient on my jar is now near the bottom. All the oils got pushed to the front. The proteins are same 3 as before ( I don't have keratin listed on my jar). And all the peel ingredients are gone.

Why can't they leave stuff be. Smh.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Did a rollerset last night and got pretty smoothe results on my coarse type 4 hair. Probably my best set to date. I’m seeing some small broken hairs though, not sure if it was the rollers or if I need a protein or moisture treatment. Still learning my hair I guess. It’s up in a bun now where it will stay for the next 10-14 days

edit— I steamed last night with my new LCL steamer, so I don’t think moisture is the issue. I used a mix of mielle babassu mint and the mielle protein free conditioner. I am trying to use these up as they’re Just okay, not my favourite. But my hair felt nice and moisturized after.
B3165431-7A2A-42FC-9AB5-4344AC610235.jpeg47B86FD0-6DB2-484B-A87B-20DB65E27FE6.jpeg

Last edited:

toaster

Beautiful set @Mapleoats!!

Yesterday a hairstylist I follow on IG was going on about not using oils on your hair, and someone asked “what if another hair stylist I follow uses oils?”

The response was to pick a philosophy and unfollow anyone that doesn’t agree.

I had to laugh because 1) I’m actually trying to follow most of this stylists philosophies and really had no problem giving up oil or products with oil in the top 5 ingredients but 2) is it really that serious?

GettingKinky

I just compared my current jar with what's on their site. The ingredient list is totally flipped around. Behentrimonium Methosulfate which was the 4th ingredient on my jar is now near the bottom. All the oils got pushed to the front. The proteins are same 3 as before ( I don't have keratin listed on my jar). And all the peel ingredients are gone.

I bought mine about a 18 months ago so I’m not sure when they stopped using keratin, but I really like keratin. That’s the only protein in mine. I sent them an email and I got a fairly generic response.

Thank you for reaching out to us, we are happy to help with your inquiry about our products!

We completely understand your confusion.
We’ve recently improved and updated the formula for DDR Deep Conditioning Hair Maskin the best ways possible.
The good news is, we’re confident that it’s just as clean and effective as the original product you know and love for your hair!

Our team is passionate about making clean, high-quality products that give you the results you expect—you could say we have very high standards In that spirit, we’re continuously looking for ways to make our great products even better.

If for any reason you’re not thrilled with this product, we’d love to offer you a complimentary hair counseling session to help you find another Briogeo product that better meets your healthy hair goals.

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions—we’re here to help!

Shadow_Lace

I wanted to add to this. I just checked the Sephora website. They posted the newer ingredients list for the DDR mask.
Unfortunately, it's like your post.
Why'd she put all of the conditioning agents towards the bottom?

Oils, some humectants, hydrolyzed proteins, then the actual conditioning agents near the bottom? :confused:

Now how much slip will be lost with this formulation?

There's different ways to combine the ingredients, so they don't compromise the integrity of the hair.

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I went ahead and ordered a length check t-shirt for the first time and i've been on hair boards for more than a decade at this point :lol:
i just really want to achieve blunt APL on my blowdried natural hair (i get more consistent results blowdrying than flatironing, so i think it's better for length checks) after a trim in 2021 and i'm done growing hair, so i figure the shirt will give me some precise info on how my hair is doing from quarter to quarter. or maybe every two months

GettingKinky

I wanted to add to this. I just checked the Sephora website. They posted the newer ingredients list for the DDR mask.
Unfortunately, it's like your post.
Why'd she put all of the conditioning agents towards the bottom?

Oils, some humectants, hydrolyzed proteins, then the actual conditioning agents near the bottom? :confused:

Now how much slip will be lost with this formulation?

There's different ways to combine the ingredients, so they don't compromise the integrity of the hair.
I’m so sad. I LOVE this conditioner.

Mapleoats

I generally avoid DIYs because they are time consuming and I already spend too much time on my hair lol. Buuuuut lately I’ve been thinking of making my own hydration spray/mix. The goal is something super hydrating and slippery that won’t weigh my hair down or leave it feeling sticky for rollersets, and mid week moisturizing when my hair is in twists.

I already add aloe vera juice to my spray bottle and my hair loves it, so I wanna take it a step farther. I’m thinking to add coconut water and the ordinary’s amino acids + b5 serum.

This TO serum already has a high concentration of amino acids, Panthenol, and a bunch of non glycerin humectants. so I’d just buy this and dump a bit of it in my spray bottle lol. Too lazy to source the ingredients and fully DIY it myself :look:

Mitzi

Admission:
I lost over half of my hair during this pandemic. I suspect I had CV-19 back in November and there were a lot of people here from Wuhan going back and forth. What happened was either the result of that sudden hair loss that occurs months later or just that I didn't comb and just bunned for a week. I'd done it before with difficulty detangling but no massive hairfall. Oh well. It's on the mend now but my ponytail is so pathetic. Poor thing.

So, can anybody tell me what ever happened to the Dominican Banos de Colores hair tints? Does anybody know of any good substitutes?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I adore April Sunny’s videos :love: she’s a relaxed Youtuber with lovely hair and such a chic aesthetic.

i’m so inspired by her cute styles. I’ve always struggled with protective styling my own hair without feeling a little frumpy, but these are so chic and sexy.

LadyRaider

I'm curious about curls. My hair is mostly wavy. I mean I don't have a lot of those boing-boing curls except for in the back. Is this normal? Are other people doing something to get more boing-boings like twisting or something? I love that hair with all the clumped boings!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
An in law told me yesterday, "You have all that pretty hair, but you never do anything with it."

It made me laugh because I used to think the same thing about long haired women back in the day. Now I know that keeping it simple is a major part of length retention and growth.

After laughing, I simply thanked her for the compliment. She walked away confused by my response, which of course made me laugh a more.

GettingKinky

An in law told me yesterday, "You have all that pretty hair, but you never do anything with it."

It made me laugh because I used to think the same thing about long haired women back in the day. Now I know that keeping it simple is a major part of length retention and growth.

After laughing, I simply thanked her for the compliment. She walked away confused by my response, which of course made me laugh a more.

what does she want you to do with it?

LadyRaider

I'm curious about curls. My hair is mostly wavy. I mean I don't have a lot of those boing-boing curls except for in the back. Is this normal? Are other people doing something to get more boing-boings like twisting or something? I love that hair with all the clumped boings!
Nevermind. I'm stupid. My hair was still wet.

LadyRaider

Glad you figured it out!

I think more naturals than we realize have more of a tight S wave pattern as opposing to a circular curl, especially as the hair gets longer. My hair completely dry hangs in tight waves and curls at the ends.
That's what my hair was doing. wave, and then boings at the ends. Now that it's dry there's a lot more boing.

GettingKinky

Glad you figured it out!

I think more naturals than we realize have more of a tight S wave pattern as opposing to a circular curl, especially as the hair gets longer. My hair completely dry hangs in tight waves and curls at the ends.

That’s what my hair does too. I wish it curled all the way to the root, but that’s not what it does.

Mitzi

So, my ignorant butt tried the semi-permanent color from Jerom Punky Color in Ebony rather than waiting to find the one I wanted and I came out like a Smurf! My bathtub is smurfed, my feet and hands are smurfed, just Smurf everywhere. This happened in the shower. Beware.