Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

MilkChocolateOne

My hair looks super shiny right now, probably due to one or more of these factors:
-Just touched up my color (Ion permanent in blue-black)
-Added the Jazzings clear rinse to my DC and worked out with it for almost an hour
-Lottabody wrap foam for my braid and curl
-Styled using a little bit of castor oil to fluff and separate
What permanent color do you use?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I know people use the dryer to stretch their roots for lengthier braid outs or twist outs but I’ve found a much better method for me that probably sounds crazy. :look:

I use my flatiron on 300 and just tap the root once after taking out each braid. It stretches the root out for length without the dryer blowing it all around. Been doing it for about six months now almost every wash day with no signs of damage. :yep:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I know people use the dryer to stretch their roots for lengthier braid outs or twist outs but I’ve found a much better method for me that probably sounds crazy. :look:

I use my flatiron on 300 and just tap the root once after taking out each braid. It stretches the root out for length without the dryer blowing it all around. Been doing it for about six months now almost every wash day with no signs of damage. :yep:
Can you post a few pictures in the braid out thread @Rocky91

nyeredzi

It's been a long time since I've had braids with extensions, and ones I could actually wear. The last ones I got before was about 8 years ago and they were so tight I took them out after a day. The ones before that I put in my own head a few years prior. So this is the 2nd time I've put in my own braids. They're not great, but I can live with them, and they're not pulling my hair out. Plus, they're a fun color. I remember now why people love braids. For the past 6 months, I'd been wearing my own hair twists, just redoing a few every other day. It's really nice to have a break. I'll only leave these in for 3 weeks, but just because 1.5 weeks in, they already look old at the roots, since I don't know how to make them tight. But when I take down, I'm just going to retwist the hair keeping the same parts so I can put another set in after a few weeks. The parting is the hardest part, so if I can keep the parts, putting another set of braids in shouldn't be that hard.

icsonia22

I think that all of these growth oils that people sell are a scam. Hair is going to grow each month regardless of what you put on your scalp unless there is an internal problem, so how can people attribute the growth to an oil? Unless someone has some special goat foot oil from Malawi, it's probably the same olive oil and castor oil that everyone else is mixing up

oneastrocurlie

It's been a long time since I've had braids with extensions, and ones I could actually wear. The last ones I got before was about 8 years ago and they were so tight I took them out after a day. The ones before that I put in my own head a few years prior. So this is the 2nd time I've put in my own braids. They're not great, but I can live with them, and they're not pulling my hair out. Plus, they're a fun color. I remember now why people love braids. For the past 6 months, I'd been wearing my own hair twists, just redoing a few every other day. It's really nice to have a break. I'll only leave these in for 3 weeks, but just because 1.5 weeks in, they already look old at the roots, since I don't know how to make them tight. But when I take down, I'm just going to retwist the hair keeping the same parts so I can put another set in after a few weeks. The parting is the hardest part, so if I can keep the parts, putting another set of braids in shouldn't be that hard.

Braiders tend to use a lot of product (gel, grease, etc) at the roots. It looks nice and sleek for longer but I personally hate the build up that comes with it. I did my own braids and twists this year so far and like yours they look old at the roots faster but no crazy build up. Plus since I didn't pay $100+ I don't feel bad taking them out after a few weeks.

Next time I'll use a little more product at the roots and see how it goes.

Plus I think the less sleek roots looks a little more natural. My wash and gos don't have every little hair in tact. These braids don't either lol.

nyeredzi

I think that all of these growth oils that people sell are a scam. Hair is going to grow each month regardless of what you put on your scalp unless there is an internal problem, so how can people attribute the growth to an oil? Unless someone has some special goat foot oil from Malawi, it's probably the same olive oil and castor oil that everyone else is mixing up
Haven't read through a lot, but there is some research on this. Like with amla, can take it as you like:

I too doubt most oils do much more than olive or castor, but it's in the realm of possibility that topical aids do something (as with monoxidil).

nyeredzi

Braiders tend to use a lot of product (gel, grease, etc) at the roots. It looks nice and sleek for longer but I personally hate the build up that comes with it. I did my own braids and twists this year so far and like yours they look old at the roots faster but no crazy build up. Plus since I didn't pay $100+ I don't feel bad taking them out after a few weeks.

Next time I'll use a little more product at the roots and see how it goes.

Plus I think the less sleek roots looks a little more natural. My wash and gos don't have every little hair in tact. These braids don't either lol.
I agree. My own home-done twists or braids have loose roots, so these can too

icsonia22

Haven't read through a lot, but there is some research on this. Like with amla, can take it as you like:

I too doubt most oils do much more than olive or castor, but it's in the realm of possibility that topical aids do something (as with monoxidil).
thats interesting. makes sense why a lot of people are into ayurveda

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I finally shampood my hair last night. I used cream of nature argan oil shampoo and did a dc with kerastase masquintense thick and therapiste. I used my hot head cap for the first time. I feel like it didn’t get hot enough...

I ended up braiding my hair to go back under a wig. I moisturized my ends with garnier sleek and shine. I put some xcel21 cream all over my scalp.

I ordered a spray bottle from Amazon so I can start spritzing my scalp with aloe juice, peppermint oil, rosemary oil and lavender oil. My ends still feel great!

I may let her trim again in June

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Somebody needs to come up with an express service model for the Black hair market.

it’s 7 pm here and I just washed and flat ironed my hair. I want a quick trim/dusting because I have committed to not go past every 10 weeks this year, and I’m going to install some braids tomorrow or Thursday. I just called like 5 different Black hair salons and nobody can provide this simple, 10-minute service to me, even the ones that say they don’t close till like 9 pm.

so now that money is going to corporate hair cuttery like it usually does instead of a smaller, Black-owned business smh. It shouldn’t still be this difficult.

imaginary

I can't wait till my hair gets long enough for hair forks and cute things. I tried a small pin up with this old plastic mini fork and the front of my hair still isn't near long enough (maybe in another year or so). Most of the back held comfortably, but there was still a fair amount of tension from the shorter parts.

Patience.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
MoKnowsHair has been making these Hair 101 videos. They are really great videos but the precise way she describes things is sometimes unintentionally funny.

I’m cracking up right now that she described slicking down baby hair as “perimeter edge styling,” and finding the right products as a “hair product pilgrimage” in her latest video. Idk why I find this so funny :lol:

Last edited:

gemruby41

I finally shampood my hair last night. I used cream of nature argan oil shampoo and did a dc with kerastase masquintense thick and therapiste. I used my hot head cap for the first time. I feel like it didn’t get hot enough...

I ended up braiding my hair to go back under a wig. I moisturized my ends with garnier sleek and shine. I put some xcel21 cream all over my scalp.

I ordered a spray bottle from Amazon so I can start spritzing my scalp with aloe juice, peppermint oil, rosemary oil and lavender oil. My ends still feel great!

I may let her trim again in June
How did you like the combination of the Kerastase masks? I have both but never combined them.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Y’all.

Something is seriously wrong with me.

I was watching PeggyPeg’s YouTube channel and she was using Duvolle Rendezvous (Titanium?)Professional Styling Iron to straighten her transitioning hair and she said it burned her. I thought to myself “yeah, that’s the one” in my TikTok voice and bought it (with a coupon code) :lachen:

Stop judging me, I can see that or feel free to judge, I can’t tell you what to do lmao.

I straightened a tiny piece of my kid’s hair. No I didn’t burn him, you’re terrible :spinning::drunk::lachen: I finger detangled really janky and straightened his product free hair on 360. 1 pass. I could have gotten the ends better but he really doesn’t like tugging on his hair but that’s a story for another day lol

This flat iron said “put some RESPECT on my name when you said it”.

I would have taken these knotless braids down to try this if they didn’t cost how much they cost :angeldevil:

Attachments

• D87550EE-636A-4EA9-BD95-0444BB8B6B43.jpeg
    D87550EE-636A-4EA9-BD95-0444BB8B6B43.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 16