Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My hair stylist got a new product that adds shine. She called it a deep conditioner, but it smells like a rinse. As much as I rinse my Jaír I know that smell. Maybe she mixed clear rinse with the DC. Either way my hair is sleek, straight and lovely. I’m 2 months post keratin treatment. I may get another one (keratin) in November if I keep up these deep conditioners

Theresamonet

My hair stylist got a new product that adds shine. She called it a deep conditioner, but it smells like a rinse. As much as I rinse my Jaír I know that smell. Maybe she mixed clear rinse with the DC. Either way my hair is sleek, straight and lovely. I’m 2 months post keratin treatment. I may get another one (keratin) in November if I keep up these deep conditioners

There are actually a lot of deep conditioner/gloss treatments out now. Dphue makes one that I have in my stash. I haven’t used it though to know if it smells like a rinse.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
When you apply the keratin do you only do the roots or the whole strands. Two months seems like a short time between keratin treatments. I would think getting it professionally done would have it last longer

Napp

Ms. Nobody
When I had a BKT my hair sat at shoulder length by the time I was around BSL. But I see that people with much longer hair than me (with the same hair type ) their hair shrinks to their ears or chin. I'm hoping that mu shrinkage wouldnt be so drastically different than my BKT'd hair because I would like to be around shoulder length shrunken when I'm BSL or MBL

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
When you apply the keratin do you only do the roots or the whole strands. Two months seems like a short time between keratin treatments. I would think getting it professionally done would have it last longer
She did the whole strand for the first application. I’ll get it again in 2 months or so. 4 months total between treatments. I’ll see how it goes after that. It may even last 6 months

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
When I had a BKT my hair sat at shoulder length by the time I was around BSL. But I see that people with much longer hair than me (with the same hair type ) their hair shrinks to their ears or chin. I'm hoping that mu shrinkage wouldnt be so drastically different than my BKT'd hair because I would like to be around shoulder length shrunken when I'm BSL or MBL
Mine is Apl/Bsl and it shrinks to Sl with my bkt. The coils are uniformly looser. From 4b/c to 3c

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just saw Absolut Liss on an Instagram reel. Results are amazing. It’s a progressive Brazilian treatment. I don’t speak the language so I don’t understand what the site is saying. I’ll ask my stylist about it next weekend

imaginary

Thanks. That’s a lot of maintenance- it’s pretty close to what my relaxer touch up schedule was before I learned about stretching. Are the tightening appointments expensive?
Yep it's very much a maintained style. I live in Ja. so the cost is cheaper than abroad but still relatively expensive. On par with what my friends pay for their relaxer. I like it though because I don't have to do or use anything in between like DC-ing or wrapping etc. If I want it cute, I'll spray some water and plait it up, but usually just out.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Does anyone have experience with Aveda’s Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight product? I ordered it last night. I want to know how the progressive curl loosening works on type 4 hair.
I used it once but I hated it. It felt weird and tacky in my hair. I use their Smooth Infusion style-prep smoother and have for years but naturally straight was like elmer's glue in my head.

Theresamonet

I used it once but I hated it. It felt weird and tacky in my hair. I use their Smooth Infusion style-prep smoother and have for years but naturally straight was like elmer's glue in my head.

I’ve read some reviews that say this can happen when you use too much. Did you use it with the style prep?

My naturally straight just arrived today. But I had already gotten nervous about the curl loosening aspect, so I went back later and ordered another smooth infusion glossing straightener too. Which should be here tomorrow. I already have the style prep. I didn’t find that it did much for my hair on its own.

My hair is not very hard to straighten or to maintain in a straight style, especially just in a blown out state. But I’m trying to find the right combo of products that will give me the sleekest results, provide humidity defense, cut down on the time it takes to blow my hair out, and maintain moisture and softness. Maybe I’m asking for too much, lol, but I’m still looking.

Last night I used Olaplex #6 + Kerastase Nectar Thermique. It was pretty good. I have quite a few more combos to try.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Tuesday morning

Me : Hi,I'm looking to get my hair done on this weekend. " Insert date"

Stylist: I'm on vacation that weekend.

Me: Would you be able to do it prior to vacation?

Stylist : I don't have my appt book with me, it's at home. I will check tonight.

Me: Thank you

A few days later ...........

Thursday

Me: Crickets :confused:

I don't know whether to inquire again or keep it moving.

imaginary

Does anyone have experience with Aveda’s Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight product? I ordered it last night. I want to know how the progressive curl loosening works on type 4 hair.
Throw back! I used it for a solid year. It was a slight difference for me, but I live in a very humid place so I think maybe that impacted how it worked. That and I only blow-dried it in.

Theresamonet

Throw back! I used it for a solid year. It was a slight difference for me, but I live in a very humid place so I think maybe that impacted how it worked. That and I only blow-dried it in.

I didn’t think about that; it probably does make a difference. I also plan to only blow out my hair. Did your hair revert back quickly when you discontinued using it? And did it do as it claims to, and make your blow outs easier?

imaginary

I didn’t think about that; it probably does make a difference. I also plan to only blow out my hair. Did your hair revert back quickly when you discontinued using it? And did it do as it claims to, and make your blow outs easier?

Yeah I flat ironed for the first one and then blow-dried for the follow-ups. I didnt really notice a difference, just because blow-drying has always seemed straight forward for me. It definitely reverted, I didn't really see a loosening of my curls.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Tuesday morning

Me : Hi,I'm looking to get my hair done on this weekend. " Insert date"

Stylist: I'm on vacation that weekend.

Me: Would you be able to do it prior to vacation?

Stylist : I don't have my appt book with me, it's at home. I will check tonight.

Me: Thank you

A few days later ...........

Thursday

Me: Crickets :confused:

I don't know whether to inquire again or keep it moving.
I would keep it moving.

Royalq

sigh. So ive been wigging in cornrows for about 4 months now and started to really miss my hair. So im getting braids on friday and decided to take my hair out and do some treatments and enjoy my hair for a bit. Ugh. I dont miss it lol. The shampoo process, treatments, tangling up mid-treatment. I plan on blow drying it out and impatiently waiting for my braid appointment.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
sigh. So ive been wigging in cornrows for about 4 months now and started to really miss my hair. So im getting braids on friday and decided to take my hair out and do some treatments and enjoy my hair for a bit. Ugh. I dont miss it lol. The shampoo process, treatments, tangling up mid-treatment. I plan on blow drying it out and impatiently waiting for my braid appointment.
I know this feeling exactly.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Facebook being some real Richards right now. I seriously need to wash my hair and attempt to do a sew in. Orrrr, I could relax my u part wig and sew that down.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My hair is dirty and the roots are starting to revert. I need to wash ASAP, but I still have to do dinner, baths, etc.

I may have to wig it for the next week or so

MilkChocolateOne

I found out that I'm anemic and deficient in vitamin d which shocked me because I thought I had a good diet. My doctor prescribed me some supplements to help. I wonder if this is the reason of my hair starting to thin...
yes. I was anemic and had low vitamin d a few years ago. My hair thinned out. I basically had to transition and slowly cut off the thin ends once my levels returned to normal. There was a noticeable line of demarcation.

Mitzi

I'm an ingrate. During Pandemic last year, I allowed my hair to matte up. It took 2 weeks from "light brushing/finger smoothing" into a bun. I was shocked at the amount of struggle when it happened. Got over that and now I'm just not taking good care of my hair again. So, I'm going on my own Winter challenge to Doo Gro Mega Thick to stave away the dryness and give it enough oiliness to avoid tangles.