Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I didn’t like how I looked with it and it never really looked good wearing it out. I went natural thinking it was the most elite thing to be but just in this first week I feel so great.
How long is your hair? Did you feel as the natural hair flattered you a bit more when you had more length? Sometimes I toy with getting a relaxer but I am trying to stay natural for the length retention. Oddly enough I had the longest hair when I was relaxed and doing roller sets.

secretdiamond

How long is your hair? Did you feel as the natural hair flattered you a bit more when you had more length? Sometimes I toy with getting a relaxer but I am trying to stay natural for the length retention. Oddly enough I had the longest hair when I was relaxed and doing roller sets.
To be honest, this thought crossed my mind recently, while browsing the hair forum. I remember back in the day (when it was relaxed heads > natural), it was the norm seeing members sporting APL and longer hair-- and commonly folks reaching BSL and WL.
I'm really seeing so much less of that now (when the natural hair is straightened).

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
It varied but possible bsl at one point but for me it just made me look frumpy and I didn’t enjoy my hair time. This time around as a relaxed babe I know what to watch for and how to care for it. I had wanted to for the past 2/3 yrs but one thing I keep in mind it’s just hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
To be honest, this thought crossed my mind recently, while browsing the hair forum. I remember back in the day (when it was relaxed heads > natural), it was the norm seeing members sporting APL and longer hair-- and commonly folks reaching BSL and WL.
I'm really seeing so much less of that now (when the natural hair is straightened).
There just doesn't seem to be that many people growing out their hair long anymore. It seems the shift its toward more trendy natural haircuts and alot of braids and wigs. I guess if you can buy it why bother to grow it? I love looking at super long natural hair.
It varied but possible bsl at one point but for me it just made me look frumpy and I didn’t enjoy my hair time. This time around as a relaxed babe I know what to watch for and how to care for it. I had wanted to for the past 2/3 yrs but one thing I keep in mind it’s just hair.
You can always grow it back if you don't end up liking it. I love the wash n go life too much to relax it straight again even though my hair was always laid. Maybe if they ever come out with some type of fool proof texturizer I would try that. All this relaxer talk makes me want to straighten my hair lol

What products will you be using on your relaxed hair? Do you need to get new stuff?

Royalq

Im frustrated! Lately when i wash my hair and start apply product afterwards, these weird white balls form throughout my hair. I end up having to rewash or cowash my hair to get it out. Im not sure what causes it. Today i used completely different products and still it happened. I plan to cowash in the morning before work but i wish i didnt have to. Any ideas as to whats causing this?

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Im frustrated! Lately when i wash my hair and start apply product afterwards, these weird white balls form throughout my hair. I end up having to rewash or cowash my hair to get it out. Im not sure what causes it. Today i used completely different products and still it happened. I plan to cowash in the morning before work but i wish i didnt have to. Any ideas as to whats causing this?
Have you clarified recently? I’m only wondering if there’s some build up that’s not allowing things to penetrate

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
There just doesn't seem to be that many people growing out their hair long anymore. It seems the shift its toward more trendy natural haircuts and alot of braids and wigs. I guess if you can buy it why bother to grow it? I love looking at super long natural hair.

You can always grow it back if you don't end up liking it. I love the wash n go life too much to relax it straight again even though my hair was always laid. Maybe if they ever come out with some type of fool proof texturizer I would try that. All this relaxer talk makes me want to straighten my hair lol

What products will you be using on your relaxed hair? Do you need to get new stuff?
I’m lucky my products will flow nicely to my relaxed hair as I was using olaplex and tgin. I’m trying to curb my product junkie ways but did splurge on a seamless comb, conditioning cap for when I don’t want want my hooded dryer.
Those single strand knots were the bane of my existence lol. I cowashed yesterday and was like my shower isn’t full of hair woo.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I second the clarifying. I also like mixing the products I intend on using in my head on my hands before I apply it to my hair. Sometimes certain products don't play well with others.

Royalq

I second the clarifying. I also like mixing the products I intend on using in my head on my hands before I apply it to my hair. Sometimes certain products don't play well with others.
I think it was my Dc mix. I added some coconut oil and aloe gel and one of them must be the culprit

secretdiamond

I feel like the hair world is slowly turning back to relaxed hair.
Of course this would happen just when I figured out how to do a great wash n go and found a stylist who gives me amazing cuts

While I do think some will go back, I don’t think it will be nearly as much as before. Maybe 20-25% may shift back? A great majority will continue to refuse to go back to the creamy crack.
What I love is that we are now sooo much more comfortable with our natural tresses, than in recent history (especially stylists).
And, many hairstylists (that I see on IG) refuse to work on relaxed hair.

DVAntDany

I feel like the hair world is slowly turning back to relaxed hair.
Of course this would happen just when I figured out how to do a great wash n go and found a stylist who gives me amazing cuts
I started seeing this trend happen mid 2019. It looked like many family members, friends and locals started going back relaxed in unison. Majority that I knew personally went to a professional stylist to have it done. These were the same diy people who changed styles every week.

COVID kind of messed up everything. Every single one of my friends and family who decided to relax now have a whole new head of natural hair. I think the novelty of it wore off and they became lazy relaxed heads. Many found out neglecting relaxed hair was not the same as neglecting natural hair.

To piggy back of your observation, I want to say I see more people going back to the salon for whatever hair situation. I also see more professional telling people how to care for their hair between visits and not pushing for them to come so often. I see the era of the do-it-yourselfer coming to a halt as the earth mama/green washing movement becomes more commercialized.

Look on the bright side. You will definitely stand out with your great cut and style if natural hair for adults becomes a thing of the past.

GettingKinky

While I do think some will go back, I don’t think it will be nearly as much as before. Maybe 20-25% may shift back? A great majority will continue to refuse to go back to the creamy crack.
What I love is that we are now sooo much more comfortable with our natural tresses, than in recent history (especially stylists).
And, many hairstylists (that I see on IG) refuse to work on relaxed hair.
I also love that we are more comfortable with our natural hair. I just hope we don’t lose that comfort. I know straight hair will be trendy again, but I don’t want natural hair to disappear for 20+ years like it did in the 80s 90s