Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Theresamonet

Oh this makes me pause.

It depends on what your hair needs. IME, steaming gets more water into your hair quickly. If your hair is dehydrated and thirsty (and probably low po), this is good. It did nothing to help deep conditioner penetrate. In fact, my conditioner just rolled off, and didn’t seem to get in at all with steaming. I started alternating between the streamer with no product, and dry heat with a conditioner. But ultimately it was just an extra unnecessary step for me, because I don’t have an issue with getting water into my strands without the steamer.

Mapleoats

I’m trying to perfect a technique to get my hair silky(ish) straight with minimal heat/ no flat iron. Round brushing does not work for my hair, and I’m no good at it/was tearing my hair out. The closest I’ve ever gotten to what I’m looking for was a good rollerset with a light pass on the flat iron. I haven’t roller set in a minute because I’m lazy, but I might dust them off in a few weeks and try rollerset + blow out.

i bounce between wanting my hair styled and wanting it left alone so it can grow and flourish lol. Atleast I know that when I reach my goal length (classic) I won’t be bored.

DVAntDany

I’m trying to perfect a technique to get my hair silky(ish) straight with minimal heat/ no flat iron. Round brushing does not work for my hair, and I’m no good at it/was tearing my hair out. The closest I’ve ever gotten to what I’m looking for was a good rollerset with a light pass on the flat iron. I haven’t roller set in a minute because I’m lazy, but I might dust them off in a few weeks and try rollerset + blow out.

i bounce between wanting my hair styled and wanting it left alone so it can grow and flourish lol. Atleast I know that when I reach my goal length (classic) I won’t be bored.
All round brushes are not created equal. There are some that are created for thick and curly hair. They feel much different from the average round brush. They also have a mix of boar bristles and nylon.

At 11:37 this brush might work better than the average round brush. Its like half a brush. You might have to watch the vid to hear the name or check out the same video on facebook to read the name in the comments.

Also, a paddle brush or denman brushworks great too. Its all about the tension.

Paddle Brush

Denman Brush. I like the effect of the heavy denman brush. It gets my hair much like hers but I don't have her texture.

This video helped me many years ago.

I got a tip from a dvd that works pretty well. After you finish blow drying with a brush, go over everything with a fine tooth carbon seamless comb. You literally blow dry with a comb. It gets the edges really smooth and will further silken the hair.

What products are using along with it?

Last edited:

Mapleoats

All round brushes are not created equal. There are some that are created for thick and curly hair. They feel much different from the average round brush. They also have a mix of boar bristles and nylon.

At 11:37 this brush might work better than the average round brush. Its like half a brush. You might have to watch the vid to hear the name or check out the same video on facebook to read the name in the comments.

Also, a paddle brush or denman brushworks great too. Its all about the tension.

Paddle Brush

Denman Brush. I like the effect of the heavy denman brush. It gets my hair much like hers but I don't have her texture.

This video helped me many years ago.

I got a tip from a dvd that works pretty well. After you finish blow drying with a brush, go over everything with a fine tooth carbon seamless comb. You literally blow dry with a comb. It gets the edges really smooth and will further silken the hair.

What products are using along with it?
Thanks for these tips! That brush looks really good. I use the Dyson Airwrap and usually get pretty good results, I might just be trying to push the limit on what my hair is able to achieve lol. The flip trick looks good and something I can readily try with the airwrap brush, which is similar in design to a denman brush.

I wish the airwrap came with a boar bristle type of attachment. I guess tension really is the piece I may be missing. My hair is also much more textured than any of the girls in the video so it might just not be possible for me without a flat iron. But that won’t stop me from trying lol!

LushLox

Why do I have some sort of addiction to electric hair tools? I have hot brushes, hot rollers, Dyson supersonic, the Corrales and a few others, and it's still not enough. I'm already eyeing up another brush. I need some sort of help. :look:

And what is the most crazy thing is I don't even use heat that often, I just like to have them 'just in case' :lol:

Theresamonet

What I used to do was blow my hair out as straight as possible, and then use either hot rollers, Caruso steam rollers, or just large flexi rods and sit under the hooded dryer.

secretdiamond

Why do I have some sort of addiction to electric hair tools? I have hot brushes, hot rollers, Dyson supersonic, the Corrales and a few others, and it's still not enough. I'm already eyeing up another brush. I need some sort of help. :look:

And what is the most crazy thing is I don't even use heat that often, I just like to have them 'just in case' :lol:

What brush is that? Asking for a friend :look:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I'm low po, and my hair be THIRSTY. I started getting steam treatments at the Egyptians when I went for my quarterly trims and my hair felt so soft. It really might help now I'm nurturing my hair back to life lol.

LushLox

I ordered a steamer and feel like I could have a beauty parlor in my house lol. My hair better grow well this yr bc the investment. But I adore my hair that I recently relaxed. Natural hair is beautiful but for me the ease and aesthetic of my hair now makes me happy.

A steamer is amazing, but be careful not to overdo it, it can be tempting!

Last edited:

LushLox

I've just been wearing my hair in pocahontas plaits; I do wonder whether it's an acceptable look for Teams meetings but at this point I don't care it really works for me. I just take my plaits down every few days to m&s plait back up and cover, no combing. And my hair is always neat and polished. I normally add just a touch of make up. Anyway even with that minimal look, I still look ten times more put together than my YT colleagues lol

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm thinking of canceling my wig cornrow appointment and installing some crochet braids. Decisions, decisions.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I hate that my head is so hot I can't wear anything on it, and i have no idea where my satin pillow cases are. I keep taking my hair cap on and off. Poor hair :cry4:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I need to teach my head how to do its own hair without involving my wallet or my arms :lachen: I need a wig for every style I want, but I get tired of wigs and want my own hair out :nono::lol: Some days I don't even want hair especially if it's taking forever and a day to do it. Be straight up tempted to shave the part I'm not doing so I can be done faster.