Re: ~*~*Break Out Your Castor Oil - 2010 Edition Cycle 2~*~*

grow

...i almost forgot! here are my progress pictures from the first 6 months using jbco.

silenttullip

I'm totally in, is it ok if we use the lavender black castor

here's my starting pic taken July 2nd
July1st.jpg

Last edited:

BlackGeisha

hi BlackGeisha!
remember me from the last challenge?
i haven't been on the boards for a while, but steadily using my jbco nonetheless!
can i please join this chllenge, too?
thanks and hhg ladies!

Hi Grow! :wave:

Yes I remember and of course you can join! Registration for this challenge is still open. lol @ registration! :lachen:

Welcome Back!

BlackGeisha

as for me I'm still applying my castor oil 2X's a week. I also use my castor oil for weekly hot oil treatments, and I add castor oil to my weekly moisturizing DC. :yep:

Curly Lee

Checking in. I'm still applying to my scalp every other day. My scalp is still itchy tho :-( I really think I just need a new scalp. But I'm going to start adding it to my deep conditioner, which by the way is Island Naturals. I like it wayyyyy better than AOHSR.

BlackGeisha

Grow wanted to know how my stretch was going so I'll share w/ everyone. I usually relax every 8 weeks and I wanted to try to stretch a little longer. Well I'm currently at 10 weeks I'm trying to get to 12 weeks so I have 2 more weeks to go. Instead of relaxing at 8 weeks I did a BKT and a length check like 2 weeks ago.

Here's pics of my new growth it's really pretty smooth @ 10 weeks :

I have 1 more pic to add but it's taking long to load, I'll add it as soon as it loads.

In 2011 I'm going to try to aim for 16 weeks. :yep:

These are the tips "Grow" gave me last challenge and it really worked here they are again if any one is curious to know:

Grow: some things that i'm finding are really helping me with this stretch are, strangely enough: yogurt and banana baby food, buttermilk, oil rinses, ceramides, baggy bunning, cowashing, and dc'ing overnight on "dry hair".

the oil rinses make detangling easy to do because it coats the hair to keep it soft.

once the water has softened the ng through the cowashing, applying the JBCO (sometimes i mix it with EVOO or a ceramide like hemp oil, just to thin it out a bit) with an applicator bottle directly to the roots of the hair really locks that moisture from the water in and makes the hair incredibly soft.

the protein in those (and the moisture from the bananas) really help the ng and that all important "line of demarcation", which always needs strengthening.

Last edited:

Tiye

-You must apply the castor oil to your scalp 2 x’s a week at the minimum. Part your hair and apply the castor oil as if you were greasing your scalp.

^^ I'd love to play and have a shot at winning the bottle of oil but I can't keep this rule. I have a naturally oily scalp and can't put added grease or oil on it, but I love this stuff on my hair. I'm a new convert but I don't want to be without it going forward.

Good luck to everyone in the challenge. I'll watch on the sidelines for results. :)

grow

Grow wanted to know how my stretch was going so I'll share w/ everyone. I usually relax every 8 weeks and I wanted to try to stretch a little longer. Well I'm currently at 10 weeks I'm trying to get to 12 weeks so I have 2 more weeks to go. Instead of relaxing at 8 weeks I did a BKT and a length check like 2 weeks ago.

Here's pics of my new growth it's really pretty smooth @ 10 weeks :

I have 1 more pic to add but it's taking long to load, I'll add it as soon as it loads.

In 2011 I'm going to try to aim for 16 weeks. :yep:

These are the tips "Grow" gave me last challenge and it really worked here they are again if any one is curious to know:

Grow: some things that i'm finding are really helping me with this stretch are, strangely enough: yogurt and banana baby food, buttermilk, oil rinses, ceramides, baggy bunning, cowashing, and dc'ing overnight on "dry hair".

the oil rinses make detangling easy to do because it coats the hair to keep it soft.

once the water has softened the ng through the cowashing, applying the JBCO (sometimes i mix it with EVOO or a ceramide like hemp oil, just to thin it out a bit) with an applicator bottle directly to the roots of the hair really locks that moisture from the water in and makes the hair incredibly soft.

the protein in those (and the moisture from the bananas) really help the ng and that all important "line of demarcation", which always needs strengthening.

i'm so glad it is working for you, BlackGeisha!
yes, your hair looks INCREDIBLY SMOOTH for 10 weeks post!:yep:
thanks for re posting those tips (can ya believe i had forgotten some, lol!), because when i didn't write that when referring to "the protein in those" i was referring to the things in like : yogurt, buttermilk, and baby food.
you are getting great results and this is wonderful inspiration in moving forward!
hhg ladies!

Rossy2010

Pls count me in. Its my first castor oil challenge. I recieved my order yesterday and applied it this morning. I will be mixing it with Nutiva coconut oil
here is my starting pic

Last edited:

SelfStyled

BlackGeisha your new growth looks delicious- congrats on the stretch. There was a time when I used to relax at 5-6 weeks before LHCF, now that seems so crazy to me. While I am stil not a stretcher like some on this board, I never relax before 10 weeks, usually I make it to 11 or 12 weeks.

Would you say that you are texlaxed? ALso, how do you wear your hair daily, protective styles, etc?

BlackGeisha

BlackGeisha your new growth looks delicious- congrats on the stretch.
Thanx!

There was a time when I used to relax at 5-6 weeks before LHCF, now that seems so crazy to me. While I am stil not a stretcher like some on this board, I never relax before 10 weeks, usually I make it to 11 or 12 weeks.

LOL! me too I used to wear bone straight weaves w/ a part down the middle tryin to be Pocahontas or somethin' and I used to relax every month.

Would you say that you are texlaxed? ALso, how do you wear your hair daily, protective styles, etc?

I would say it is a little straighter than texlaxed but not bone straight, I use a regular lye relaxer and I follow the instructions on the specified time to leave it in (15-20min) and it never gets bone straight. It comes out somewhat wavy and that's fine w/ me it helps me keep some thickness. My ends are bone straight though from b4 my hair journey I'm gonna cut them off little by little.

I usually do pincurls at night and in the morning I put it in a cute pin up style for work. Some times I pull it into a high pony tail w/ the curls hanging down. I also do Bantu Knots and braid outs, I'll usually pull it into a cute updo or a high ponytail.

I rarely wear my hair out when I do the high pony tail it's like once a week.

I hardly ever wear the pin curls, bantu knots or braid outs loose I usually pin them up. I like having the curls or waves cuz it just looks like I spent more time on my hair than I actually did and it's much more interesting than just pulling it up in a bun.

Recently I've been wearing a high bun similar to how a ballerina wears her hair b/c I'm trying to stretch.

sorry I wrote an essay :look: lol!

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Thanks for the detailed response BG- your hair is gorgeous. I absolutely love hearing what people's reggies are, lol. Thanks for indulging me.

cutenss

I am still using my BCO pomade. I am going to use it up, then start back with my regular cutenss castor oil mixture. I am glad to everyone doing will with their HJ. I invited some others to join in. Hopefully they will stop by.

grow

i've been rinsing or cowashing my hair every day, so now (at least while it's so hot), i've been putting jbco on my scalp (just like when i used to oil my scalp with pomade) every single day!

it really feels good and it's not too much either, surprisingly, although i'm sure the constant contact with water keeps it from getting to be too much.

hhg ladies!