(Really) Post Relaxer & Natural Beauties: Do you brush to get edges smooth?

MizaniMami

We all have product recs. to lay them edges down but how do you actually get them smooth AND flat? Not just flat.

I find that applying any product my hair needs to be smooth really good. Sometimes I want to take a brush and let her rip!

I have a small toothbrush that I am ready to use. Is that damaging?? What do you ladies use???? Honest opinions and suggestions please.

Syrah

I use a soft boar bristle brush and some Abba Nourishing Leave-In followed by some Fantasia IC to get those hairs to lay down. And it doesn't take much.

Usually my hair cooperates after that ^. USUALLY!!

I don't know much about toothbrushes when it comes to hair. I'd imagine that if you got a really soft bristle one it'd be ok. I'd just worry about hair snagging.

KhandiB

I sure do use a brush :)

and I have a rec or 2:

One is water Mango Butter and Kemi
Other is Elasta QP Glaze

locabouthair

I tried brushing my hair to lay it down. but with my hair laughed at the brush. lol. i dunno maybe i need a different brush.

MizaniMami

KhandiB said:
I sure do use a brush :)

and I have a rec or 2:

One is water Mango Butter and Kemi
Other is Elasta QP Glaze

I gotchu! I am going to try the EQP glaze.

Where are you ladies getting your 100% soft brushes.

Can any ladies elaborate if think this will cause edges thinning or not??

Syrah

I got mine at a local BSS. I think they sell them on Folica - I KNOW they have them on www.planetbeauty.com (but planet beauty can be a tad expensive). I would go to a stylist store - one that has a wider range of hair products (not just black hair care products) because I don't think most Black BSS sell these brushes. We're too busy messing with them Goody plastic brushes HAHA.

I don't think it contributes to thinning edges. I'm a die hard brusher/comber (and was a die hard blow dryer). I can't imagine NOT combing or brushing my hair - and that might not be the best approach. I'm hardheaded. :) But I haven't experienced any thinning edges yet. I think what causes thinning is the combination of th brushing technique and the products. Brushing your hair when its got drying products in your hair is a bad thing - your agitating your hair, and the hair is dry. It will break. I tend to only brush my hair once I've applied leave in - to saturate and soften the hair and to help the brush glide.

kristina

Not sure if it's the healthiest thing but I get my edges super flat with a boar bristle brush and the evil brown gel (it's the only thing that keeps my hair from puffing up after it dries). If I'm bunning, I start with damp hair that has enough humetress or suave humectant conditioner in it to make it super pliable. I put some castor oil on the lenght and the ends and then I apply the gel to my edges and use the brush to smooth my hair flat while pulling/grabbing the length into a ponytail with the other hand.

PatTodd

Use of a hard plastic brush is what sent me to LHCF in the first place!:lachen:

I use a fine tooth comb on wet hair with conditioner, then smooth edges with a baby hairbrush and (sometimes!) a teeny tiny bit of Dep yellow or blue gel. If it's too cool out for wet hair, I dampen the top only, smooth with the brush and gel, then tie down tightly with a scarf until I have to be in public.

secretdiamond

People always look at me crazy when I say this but I never use a brush, and my edges are always smooth. I just usualy use water or sometimes a product that is at my immediate disposal and if my edges are giving me a hard time, I whip out the scraf! :)

MizaniMami

secretdiamond said:
People always look at me crazy when I say this but I never use a brush, and my edges are always smooth. I just usualy use water or sometimes a product that is at my immediate disposal and if my edges are giving me a hard time, I whip out the scraf! :)

I think I may just continue using my fingers to smooth. :perplexed

My edges have come too far to experience any breakage on them. I keep getting this nagging "don't do it" instinct telling me not too. Thanks ladies.

crlsweetie912

I found a really great brush at the dollar store! It's plastic bristle, but it doesn't tear my hair! I co-sign on the elasta qp glaze.

Victorian

old head
I apply jojoba oil to wet hair and use a boar bristle brush. I can get it flat if I use only my hands followed by a scarf tied on for a bit, but I can't get the same smooth/straight look I get with the brush.
I've been doing this pretty much every day for almost a year and a half and haven't had any problem. I think the key is to make sure your hair has enough glide when you're brushing, and to just be gentle. You shouldn't need to brush very hard at all. Your hair should already be detangled and going in the right direction (straight back or whatever), you're just smoothing the surface.

I tend to use one edge of the brush when I'm smoothing. I don't lay it flat on my head, I lay it on an angle such that only a few rows of bristle tips end up gripping my hair. I hope you can get a visual :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Ditto to what BlackCardinal said! I sometimes use a soft boar bristle brush to smooth my edges (wet with product or wet without product). And sometimes, smoothing wet hair with or without product with my hands is sufficient enough to get nice smooth edges. Whether its with my hands or a brush, I don't have to brush hard either, its just gently smooths over top of my hair. A toothbrush wasn't strong enough for my hair. I've also tried a hard brush before and it catches onto my hair instead of smoothing it. So my hands and soft boar bristle brush are best for my hair. HTH!

nomoweavesfome

if it wasn't for my old toothbrush and some extra hold shining and conditioing JAM(with the orange top), I don't know What I would do! Its a lifesaver.

Cichelle

I never use a brush. I just smooth with my hands while my hair is wet. Butters sometimes help. I have days when my hair will be in the mood to be smooth and other days when it likes to give me the "halo" look. I take it as it comes. Brushes are a no-no on my hair. But I am extra careful/paranoid. Rationally speaking, I would guess that the gentle use of a brush would be okay for most people.

glamazon386

I use mango butter or glaze. I find that the glaze melts after a while and looks greasy though. So usually it's just Mango butter and i tie it down. Oh yeah, I use a brush or I smooth it down with the side of a rattail comb.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I don't use a brush to smooth back my edges anymore. Sometimes I just let them be.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
When I get up in the morning, I put some leave in conditioner on my hair and maybe a little water with my hands. Then I smooth with my fingers and put on a scarf while I go through my morning routine. When I'm ready to leave the house my hair is laying flat and shiny.

firecracker

When relaxed or pressed I used Dudley or Vonte's curling wax to smooth, brush and tie down edges. As a natural my edges are not an issue.

joyous

I use a fine tooth comb on wet conditioned hair and tie down with a satin scarf. My edges come out smooth. At night I just tie a scarf around the edges to keep them smooth, no brushing needed.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I used to use a soft bristle brush or smooth it when it's very wet and use Fantasia IC ICE pomade. Now I don't use anything. I like my halo. I don't mind not having smoothed edges at all.

MizaniMami

I used the Elasta QP Glaze and that stuff shure is thick:eek: .

Did really hold my edges down either. They just "crinkled" right back up.

Maybe my technique was off.

*I even pulled out the toothbrush*:cool:

sylver2

sometimes I use a verfy soft bristle brush and lots of serum, silk touch to lay hair down during stretches. Other then that I keep edges covered up by just wearing hair down and over it.

esoterica

the only thing that works for holding down my edges is a extra firm hold gel. i use VO5. the UK one has different packaging to the pic below though. i apply it, brush, and then tie my head with a satin scarf until the gel is dry. sometimes i blow dry over the scarf so the hot air goes through to harden the gel. only takes a few seconds. i think my edges are mostly 4b, so glaze, jam and stuff like that is a joke to my hair. i wash the gel out brushing isnt really plausible.

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

MizaniMami said:
I used the Elasta QP Glaze and that stuff shure is thick:eek: .

Did really hold my edges down either. They just "crinkled" right back up.

Maybe my technique was off.

*I even pulled out the toothbrush*:cool:

I hear ya girl, I am trying to solve the mystery of this product too. I just posted a thread about the Elasta Glaze in an attempt to unlock the secrets to using this product and making it last. :look:

MizaniMami

Priestess said:
I hear ya girl, I am trying to solve the mystery of this product too. I just posted a thread about the Elasta Glaze in an attempt to unlock the secrets to using this product and making it last. :look:

ooh goodie! lemme take a look now!