Recently cut my hair and I already have thin ends? How? (Advice please)

LegsLegsLegs

Hey everyone.... So I cut about 2-3” of my hair (see through ends) a few months ago and kept it French braided under a headband wig. About 3 weeks ago I took my hair down and my ends were see through again. At the time, I didn’t think anything of it, but I took my hair down last night, washed and straightened my hair, my ends really are see through. I don’t understand why this is happening since my ends have been protected. Any idea what could’ve happened? Any advice for the future with my French braids? French braids have always been a great protective style for me,l so it’s really strange that my ends are like this

secretdiamond

Must be so frustrating and confusing.
I'm inclined to agree with some of the previous posts?
Maybe the trim didn't take off enough of the split ends, which then become more susceptible to dryness & breakage during the takedown process after being under the wig for weeks at a time?

Last edited:

LegsLegsLegs

When was your last trim? Would you consider your strands fine? If your hair is similar to mine, it doesn’t do too well with a whole lot of long-term protective styling that puts stress on the strands. You may honestly need another trim and to avoid putting your hair away for longer than 2-3 weeks at a time.
I cut my hair a few months ago. No, my strands are very thick. My hair is thick and dense, not fine at all.

LegsLegsLegs

Must be so frustrating and confusing.
I'm inclined to agree with some of the previous posts?
Maybe the trim didn't take off enough if the split ends, which then become more susceptible to dryness & breakage during the takedown process after being under the wig for weeks at a time?
It is very confusing. I’m starting to think my ends got dried out from the wig cap.

kupenda

It is very confusing. I’m starting to think my ends got dried out from the wig cap.

that’s a very strong possibility. Any time I use things like that (elastic hair ties, wig cap, and even the clips on clip ins), I coat them in a layer of oil. Not dripping or “wet”. But enough to prevent or minimize friction between the accessory and my hair. As for your ends, it’s likely lead hairs. I have a section that grows faster than the rest of my hair, resulting in a V shape that hairstylists always try to even out but I’ve grown fond of it. In your case, I would experiment with treating your ends special. Maybe baggying, m&s more often or changing the routine you use for them, and incorporating protein. So an example could be that every three days, you spritz your ends with water, add a little avocado oil, use a protein containing leave in, and tuck them end with a dab of Shea butter. This occurs while the rest of your hair has your standard m&s regimen (if it’s working well for you)

LegsLegsLegs

that’s a very strong possibility. Any time I use things like that (elastic hair ties, wig cap, and even the clips on clip ins), I coat them in a layer of oil. Not dripping or “wet”. But enough to prevent or minimize friction between the accessory and my hair. As for your ends, it’s likely lead hairs. I have a section that grows faster than the rest of my hair, resulting in a V shape that hairstylists always try to even out but I’ve grown fond of it. In your case, I would experiment with treating your ends special. Maybe baggying, m&s more often or changing the routine you use for them, and incorporating protein. So an example could be that every three days, you spritz your ends with water, add a little avocado oil, use a protein containing leave in, and tuck them end with a dab of Shea butter. This occurs while the rest of your hair has your standard m&s regimen (if it’s working well for you)
Yes I’ll try that or I think I might try to wear a silk dome cap under my wig cap or something. I’ll definitely do the baggy method as well. Thank u!!