Recommend your Pre-Poo

tlmack

Ok ladies. I'm about to do it. I'm about to wash my hair myself (not at the salon) for the first time in over a year.

What is your favorite pre-poo treatment.

Let me know, b/c I'm ready to take the plunge!

I'm thinking of olive oil or coconut and Lime.

What do you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

NaturalRox

I recommend honey & extra virgin olive oil for a pre-poo treatment. I usually do this with a heat cap for about 30 minutes.

VelvetRain

ditto for the evoo. My hair had shine for days after this treatment. I always use my overhead dryer with no problems. Lost my heating cap months ago.

TigerLily

I use EVOO, honey, coconut oil and jojoba oil heated and applied to the scalp. I use a plastic cap and wrap a towel around my head for about 30 min. to an hour.

NaturalRox

Yes, I believe you can use an overhead dryer - a medium setting should be fine. If you use this method, let us know how it turns out!

tlmack

What is a good substitute for jojoba oil?

I have vitamin E, shea butter, mango butter, lotion motion #9 and Wojee Cream from surge.

Will these sub for jojoba?

TigerLily

Oh, I don't measure! (I know, that's bad!) Vitamin E sounds good. You could even use the lotion motion oil as a pre-poo treatment since it has all of the good oils in it. I was planning on doing this myself!

daviine

This is an excellent thread....I know that there are more "pre-pooers" out there....I plan to keep bumping this so we can use this as a reference!

That being said---- BUMP!

tlmack

Well this is what I did.

I used:

Coconut Milk
Lime Juice
Extra Light Olive Oil (all I had)
Honey
Minced Garlic (all I had)
Motion Lotion #9 from Surge

I applied it to my scalp first by sectioning it and applying and then after that I massaged it in my scalp and since I had some left I put it all over my hair. I sat under the hooded dryer first at medium for about 10 minutes and then on low for another 10 minutes.

I washed my hair is Bed Head Vitamin Poo and Surge Poo. I conditioned with Affirm Reconstructor and KeraCare Conditioner.

I rinsed it out and used a detangler with Surge Revitalizer 14 on my scalp to help my hair grow.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to style it.

Leslie_C

I used a GREAT combo a few times thats a keeper for sure. I mixed some of my nexxus humectress, 2 packs of honey, some coconut milk, and some EVOO and stirred it all up so it had the consistency of a slightly thinner conditioner.

then I sectioned my hair and slathered it on. I put a plastic cap and sat unter the dryer for about 20 minutes, then left it on for close to an hour with a towel on my head without heat bc Im sure it held a lot of the heat from the dryer.

my hair came out baby soft and it had been feeling dry and brittle beforehand.

lynette

I use olive oil, honey and suave conditioner. Mix it together and heated it up in the microwave for under a minute. I part my hair in sections and apply it as if I was doing a relaxer, put a plastic bag on and go about my business. My last pre-poo I brought an Avocado from the market. I gutted the avocado put it in a bowl with Africa's best oil and honey. Mixed it well, left in the fridge overnight, the next day I heated it up and applied it to my hair. When I was done with my hair and I took my rollers out, Ladies let me tell you that was the best thing I ever did to my hair. My hair was strong but soft (if that makes sense). When I shampooed and combed my hair there were two strand of hair on the comb, no lie. I heard somewhere that Avocado was a natural protein.

candibaby

I use evoo or b&b oil it up and suave milk & honey conditioner as my pre-poo treatment. I dont sit under the dryer or anything, I just let it stay on for 30-45 minutes under a shower cap then I rinse and wash.

Allandra

I no longer do pre-shampoo treatments.

What does / did your stylist use as a pre-shampoo treatment on your hair? Maybe it would be good to use the same thing at home when you shampoo your hair yourself.

daviine

Allandra...how come you don't do them any longer.

I would like to incorporate some using conditioner so that I can use up my cheapies and rejects.

I CURRENTLY am using macadamia nut oil. After that, I put a shower cap and throw my Turbie Twist towel over that. I put on some music and get to cleaning.....

In the past, I enjoyed using olive oil and honey. I plan to return to them but I have a lot of stuff to use up!

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
daviine said:
Allandra...how come you don't do them any longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't feel the need to. It's been a while since I've done one.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I'm doing the pre-poo treatment right now as we speak. Here's what I use: </font>

<font color="blue">Castor Oil
Proclaim 7 Oil
ORS Carrot Oil
Natural Sorghum Syrup
Cholesterol/Coconut Milk Conditioner
Ground Cinnamon

I put the ingredients in a container and microwave for 50 secs. When heated, I pour the liquefied mixture on my scalp and on my hair to coat. Comb to distribute, cover with plastic cap. I also tied my silk scarf over the plastic so I can be out in the sun along with my baseball cap. I planned on leaving the mixture in my hair for 2-3 hours max. Afterwards, I jump in the shower to rinse, shampoo and deep condition with my KeraCare samples. I'll let you all know the outcome of how my hair came out later on. </font>

LABETT

I use Evoo and Alma oil for 20-30 min.
I just started mixing 1 Egg,2tbs castor oil,1tbs vinegar and
1 tbs glycerin with heat for 5 to 10 min.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
Tene said:
Coconut Milk, Honey, Oilve Oil and sometimes banana.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised nobody else asked...what's the banana for? Potassium? lol jk. Interesting though.

miss_brown

For my preshampoos, I mix:

- moisturizing conditioner I'm trying to get rid of (ANY conditioner works for this)
- black strap molasses or honey
- some type of oil (castor, olive, or almond)

I apply it with Apply with applicator brush, making sure every strand is saturated, then I put a conditioning cap over it and let it stay on for about an hour.

lunalight7

I like Humectress, honey (gives AWESOME shine), and avocado oil. I'd like to try coconut milk...where do I find it? Is CocoLopez milk?

A_Christian

I would also like to know where you all are purchasing the coconut milk. Can it be found in health food stores or regular grocery stores?

Leslie_C

coconut milk can be found in the ethnic food section in most stores...like with the hispanic foods, there is a goya brand. You can also get it at west indian grocery stores.

I think the banana has some kind of moisturizing affect...I have a friend who is going natural and she said someone recommended a banana shampoo and conditioner from a health food store.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">The treatment that I did last week made my hair well moisturized. I did another pre-poo treatment, this time using shea butter, Le'Kair Cholesterol mixed with VO5 Creamy Peach Conditioner, Aussie 3 Min. Miracle and some soybean oil. I applied it to my dry hair, put a plastic cap on my head, and left it on overnight until morning. Rinsed it out, did my co wash while taking my shower that day. Afterwards, my hair felt so moist and soft, plus the detangling was a lot easier. Awesome!!!! </font>

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tene said:
Coconut Milk, Honey, Oilve Oil and sometimes banana.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised nobody else asked...what's the banana for? Potassium? lol jk. Interesting though.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">The banana gives moisture to the hair. You may try mashing the banana thoroughly and mix it to the coconut milk, honey and evoo. It's like a tropical ambrosia for your hair, plus it's hungry for something to nourish on. Yum!
</font>