Recommended SETTING Products! Your BEST SETTING Solution!

BlackDiamond21

Hi ladies,

I really enjoy the results I get when I undo my Bantu Knots or Cornrows. I have done both one time only because by day 3-4 my hair starts breaking. It looks so pretty but then my hair breaks and it makes it all not worth it.

I have used Aphogee Style & Wrap Mouse & Proclaim Curl and Wave Conditioning Activator Gel w/ my leave in moisturizer Ion Curl Solutions Curl Defining Hair Styling Creme. I really loved how settings both didn't give me flakes. Both made sure my hair wasn't crispy but as the days went on, my hair started breaking. I just want something I can put on my damp hair that will hold the style longer then a day and not cause breakage while I wear it for a week (I only wash n set 1x a week - all my hair can handle!)

My relaxed hair doesn't hold a curl unless something makes it :spinning:! Therefore I have never been able to go back and redo the braid or knot. The setting stuff makes it not possible. Like I cannot comb thru my hair without breakage once it is set with either the Gel or the Mousse. I hope I am making sense...

Can anyone recommend a setting product to put on my damp hair when either conrow setting or bantu knot setting? Or something maybe I should ADD when using either of those products to prevent breakage?

Please note that when I wear both styles, you know after unraveling them, all I do is put on a lil oil or sheen spray, style and then when I go to bed put on a scarf.

TY for suggestions!

BD21

P.S. I also want this thread to be a PJs setting product dream. So even if you don't do bantu's or cornrows, STILL SHARE what you use when you do set your hair! :grin:

I currently use Keracare setting lotion. No flakes and tons of slip when wet. Not as much shine as I get from mousse though. Not sure how good the hold is yet; I've only been doing braidouts consistently for a few days. But this upcoming Chicago summer will be a good test.

A few months ago I tried Keracare foam wrap lotion. I got the extra hold formula by accident. The shine was unbelievable! But it was flaky and made my ends crunch and stick together. Great hold of course. I tried watering it down a little bit because I hate to waste anything, but it lost it's magic when I did that.

Lastly, I've tried Nairobi Wrapp-It Shine Foam Lotion. It was uneventful. My hair looked and felt a bit dry but had lots of volume. No bling.

Ultimately, I'd like to move over to something less pricey. Something I can just get at Walgreens or something.

Back