Recovery Road!!!! ***PICS***

BlkOnyx488

Hey ladies,
I was going to wait until I straightened my hair in December to post an update of my Hair Journey. But after comparing Pics from when I HAD to cut my hair in Jan 2010 and today I decided I would go ahead and post a few pics.

Ok quickie back story, In Dec of 2009 I discovered I had greatly damaged my hair by over using the Aphogee 2 min reconstructor. I keep my hair in it's natural state so I didn't realize I had damaged my hair, until straightened my hair. In jan 2010 I cut off my damaged ends, after that I began cornrowing my hair and keeping my haircare as simple as possible.

1. Pic one and two are from my Jan 2010 haircut
2. Pic three is the length of my hair today.
3. Pic four is my daily hair style. I cornrow my hair to the center then I attach a phony afro puff to the crown of my head. I keep my ends moisturized with Olive Oil and plastic bag under the hair piece.

I am a slow grower so this is alot of progress for me:yep:
And My hair has never ever been this long before. So I am really happy to be so close to APL hopefully I will finally reach it in December!

Attachments

• Hair-Jan28-2010+1.jpg
    Hair-Jan28-2010+1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Hair-Jan28-2010.jpg
    Hair-Jan28-2010.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 197
  • August-1-11.jpg
    August-1-11.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Sounds like you have found a reggie that works you. Congrats and keep it up! I'm sure you'll reach apl by Dec you're sooooo close.

Seems like you recovered nicely. Keep doing what works for you.

How did you damage your hair by using Aphogee 2 min reconstructor? did you use it frequently w/out moisture? was it that u left it on too long?

Just curious bcuz mine is still in the cabinet since last year

At First I was using it once every 4 weeks. I read a post that the 2 min didn't have as much protein and could be used more often. I started using it once a week but still only keeping it on for 2 mins. I was hooked on the smell and how it made my hair feel. I didn't realize it was damaging my hair until I attempted to flat iron my hair 12 weeks later. it was hard and brittle, and the ends were jagged and from August to Dec, my hair had gotten shorter.

I learned my lesson I don't jump on anymore product bandwagons. Most of the products I use on my hair now are natural.
EVOO
Bentonite Clay
Coconut oil

No offense to sisters who are still on a quest trying to find the right products for their hair. there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

However I realized my hair is just too fragile to experiment on. It doesn't need a reason to break off, so it's best I don't give it any.:ohwell:

Seems like you recovered nicely. Keep doing what works for you.

How did you damage your hair by using Aphogee 2 min reconstructor? did you use it frequently w/out moisture? was it that u left it on too long?

Just curious bcuz mine is still in the cabinet since last year

Congratulations on your healthy recovery!!! Thank you for sharing your pictures and new regimen. :)

Looks like you will be at apl by end of year or close to. Congrats on your progress. It looks like your hair is thicker as well!

That's really good progress! You should be very proud of your success! I had an almost exact experience, but I whined about mine in another post. Aphoghee 2-Min is an elixir for some and awful for others of us, oh well. Guess the only remedy is time, eh? Le sigh, and le sigh, again.

What did you do to get your hair back to full health? It looks great:yep:

Last edited:
that was another unfortunate side effect my hair was paper thin.

Looks like you will be at apl by end of year or close to. Congrats on your progress. It looks like your hair is thicker as well!

I whined about mind in a lot of post too at the time. it took me a month to accept the fact that I had to cut my hair.

I still want to kick myself sometimes when I think of how long my hair would have been today had I not messed up

ETA: this is what I did to get my hair back to healthy.
around the same time I had to cut my hair blackmasterpiece posted a thread about longhairdontcare2011`s hair regimen.

her regimen what's simple, keep your hair braided for 1 month at a time. at first I started doing crochet braids but I found that I wanted to change out styles too often.

I decided if I can find a simple hair piece and just braid my hair in a style I like that would keep me from changing it too often.

the afro puffs was perfect for me because I truly prefer to wear my hair out and natural this way it looks like I am doing that

at night I baggy my hair every night and tie it down with a scarf

I try not to use a lot of store bought products on my hair

I only use olive oil to moisturize my hair

I redo the corn rolls once a week with just my fingers to keep it from being too fuzzy

I do a full take down once a month that is when I clean my hair and scalp with bentonite clay
I sit under a dryer to get the clay to dry.

I also use ors deep replenishing conditioner once a month as well

my hair requires a lot of moisture to be happy so my regimen goal is to keep my hair moisturized at all times

so that is what I have been doing in a nutshell

That's really good progress! You should be very proud of your success! I had an almost exact experience, but I whined about mine in another post. Aphoghee 2-Min is an elixir for some and awful
for others of us, oh well. Guess the only remedy is time, eh? Le sigh, and le sigh, again.

What did you do to get your hair back to full health? It looks great:yep:

Last edited:
Good job finding the problem and remedying it. <---it remedying a word?

I'm going to have to steal that braid puff idea!

Go girl!! I am so glad to see that your hair is doing better! It looks fantastic! You'll definitely make APL by the end of the year! :yep:

Also, it's funny, but just before I looked at this thread, I was looking online trying to find a phony pony like that! I want to use it for protective styling as well, with my hair in either French braids or flat twists! :grin:

I searched online for the puff. But could not find a better deal than at my beauty supply store because of shipping.

Go girl!! I am so glad to see that your hair is doing better! It looks fantastic! You'll definitely make APL by the end of the year! :yep:

Also, it's funny, but just before I looked at this thread, I was looking online trying to find a phony pony like that! I want to use it for protective styling as well, with my hair in either French braids or flat twists! :grin:

BlkOnyx488 Thanks for sharing you regi with us but do you mind also sharing where you got the afro puff pony? It looks good.

Glad you have found a solution and are happily growing :^)

Great progress... When I was in atl I wore the same cornrow style just with a curly pony instead. I love it so cute and easy.

Back