REDO: For those doing the 2007 Braid Challenge

naijamerican

(Sorry - my computer got jacked up and nothing came up in the thread I just tried to start!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ) - Moderators, can you please delete the other one?

Anyway, I plan on getting individuals put in very soon to embark on my braid challenge for the year!!! I'm looking forward to it because it will be much less time consuming on a daily basis, and my hair thrives in braids. This evening I spent two hours looking at through all the old threads about braiding! I thought that creating this thread might help.

So here are three questions:

1. Are you going to use synthetic hair or human hair, and why?

2. How long do you plan to leave the braids in?

3. In your opinion, what are the best brands for hair - human hair and synthetic included?

4. Are you going to follow the Crown and Glory method to a tee? If not, how will you change it to suit your needs?

I'll start off. I have weighed the pros and cons of using human hair vs. synthetic. I've used both human hair and synthetic hair. Synthetic hair feels so heavy on my head. Human hair is way more expensive. Even so, I'm leaning toward using human hair for more styling options. Plus, I have never experienced the negative side of micro braids except for losing one or two braids on the sides. I feel that with my new knowledge that probably won't happen this time around.

I plan on leaving my braids in 6 to 8 weeks. I have learned the hard way that anything longer than that will cause me to start dreading up.

The best human hair brands I've ever used are Nina and Outre. I have used Beverly Johnson for synthetic braids and I really liked the results. This time around I am thinking of getting Indian Remi hair, thanks to Honeydew and her recommendation (an old thread! :)) Even though it's way more than I've ever spent on hair I think it will be worth it.

I'm planning on using a modified version of the Crown and Glory Method. I already know that Infusium 23 and me don't mix, but I really love the leave-in conditioners from Carol's Daughter and plan on using those. If I get human hair then I'm not going to use a stocking cap on my head to wash my hair. Instead, I might try using a sponge on my scalp and will gently press down to avoid rough manipulation. If I get synthetic hair, I'll probably do the C&G method. I will probably use a light moisturizer for my real hair (Qhemet Biologics Olive Cream) every other day, because every day will lead to too much build up if I use the leave-in conditioner with it.

I'm looking forward to hearing about other people's methods.

glamazon386

I'm not in braids very often but here's what I do when I am...

naijamerican said:
(Sorry - my computer got jacked up and nothing came up in the thread I just tried to start!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: ) - Moderators, can you please delete the other one?

Anyway, I plan on getting individuals put in very soon to embark on my braid challenge for the year!!! I'm looking forward to it because it will be much less time consuming on a daily basis, and my hair thrives in braids. This evening I spent two hours looking at through all the old threads about braiding! I thought that creating this thread might help.

So here are three questions:

Depends on the type of braid. When I had Sengalese twists they used synthetic. If I was to get micro braids, I'd get human hair.
Usually 6 weeks or so.

3. In your opinion, what are the best brands for hair - human hair and synthetic included?
I usually use Sensationnel hair for both. My friend uses Milky Way with no problem.

4. Are you going to follow the Crown and Glory method to a tee? If not, how will you change it to suit your needs?
No, I don't like to take breaks with my hair out inbetween. Doesn't C&G say to keep the hair braided for 2 months and leave it out for 2 months? I don't remember I haven't visited that site in so long.

I'll start off. I have weighed the pros and cons of using human hair vs. synthetic. I've used both human hair and synthetic hair. Synthetic hair feels so heavy on my head. Human hair is way more expensive. Even so, I'm leaning toward using human hair for more styling options. Plus, I have never experienced the negative side of micro braids except for losing one or two braids on the sides. I feel that with my new knowledge that probably won't happen this time around.

I plan on leaving my braids in 6 to 8 weeks. I have learned the hard way that anything longer than that will cause me to start dreading up.

The best human hair brands I've ever used are Nina and Outre. I have used Beverly Johnson for synthetic braids and I really liked the results. This time around I am thinking of getting Indian Remi hair, thanks to Honeydew and her recommendation (an old thread! :)) Even though it's way more than I've ever spent on hair I think it will be worth it.

I'm planning on using a modified version of the Crown and Glory Method. I already know that Infusium 23 and me don't mix, but I really love the leave-in conditioners from Carol's Daughter and plan on using those. If I get human hair then I'm not going to use a stocking cap on my head to wash my hair. Instead, I might try using a sponge on my scalp and will gently press down to avoid rough manipulation. If I get synthetic hair, I'll probably do the C&G method. I will probably use a light moisturizer for my real hair (Qhemet Biologics Olive Cream) every other day, because every day will lead to too much build up if I use the leave-in conditioner with it.

I'm looking forward to hearing about other people's methods.

nikkivale

I'm defintely going to join this challenge. I plan on braiding my hair starting tonight (it usually takes me a couple of days to braid...laziness:) ) and get an album started with my progress.
Since hair grows about 6" a year I should be mid back by December 2007!

Definitely kanekeleon. plain ole synthetic is a mess to braid with and human hair can slip and tangle with washing in my experience.

I'm going to go for 3 months at a time..if i don't get bored with it like i usually do, because after joining LHCF i'm serious about my hair

I use kanekelon and to be honest I don't pay too much attention to a particular brand, just the look of it, i try to not get the super bulky kind because most of it gets messy and tangled and only end up being able to use half of the pack. Outre is good as well as some other name brands.

Pretty much. One thing I will not do is the pre-soak braids with vinegar.. I did this twice and it really really dried my hair out so bad, no matter how much i moisturized in braids. I'll just pre-wash the braids with neutralizing shampoo from motions.
Instead of infusium I will be using Pantene daily leavin w/amino proteins and african braid spray. I will also lightly use some curl activator and pure aloe vera gel as needed. I don't care too much for LeKair so i'll be using Suave Milk&honey with a bit of jojoba oil mixed in before I braid. when out of braids
I will clarify with Suave aloe/waterlily and condition with proclaim cholesteral (used these once when ran out of product my hair felt tangled and squeeky but it was so strong and not hardly a hair was in that comb, i couldn't believe it.) Other weeks I will wash with CON moisturizer & conditioner.

I will though keep them in for 2 1/2 to 3 months and give my hair a break 2 months at a time in protective styles and make sure to deep condition like crazy.