Reducing Dandruff between washes

pet

Hi girls!!

I wash and press my hair every week and a half using Redken's Hair Cleaning Creme, Creme of Nature, and Ms. Claroil conditioner. After I wash I put a dab of CHI and press. I oil my hair once with Shikakai Oil. My hair gets dandruff after a couple of days, and I have tried everything!! I have tried dandruff shampoos, tee-tree oil, lemon juice...you name it, I have tried it. My hair starts to itch within three days, and the dandruff isn't terrible but it annoys me that after a couple of days I have to wear my hair up all of the time until I wash my hair again.

I don't believe in washing my hair too much, especially when I press it all of the time. I am looking for remedies on how to keep dandruff at bay once it is washed. What products can I use? My mom presses her hair as well, but she doesn't get dandruff at all, and she doesn't use anything special...she just doesn't oil her hair at all once it's pressed. I've tried that, but it makes the problem worse.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks! ~Pet

frizzy

Have you tried vinegar rinses? Vinegar and sulphur-based products are the only guaranteed thing to take my itchies away, and I don't have dandruff.

ETA--do you clarify and rinse you hair really really well?

bimtheduck

Make sure you're scrubing your scalp REALLY well and rinsing REALLY well making sure you're not leaving any product residue or skin flakes behind. Lots of water. Make sure that anything you're putting on your scalp doesn't have alcohol that drying and any oil is actually being absorbed not just sitting on top of your scalp.
There's an Aveda product that I used that worked too. I forget the name but it has zinc in it. Comes in a borwn glass bottle w a medicine dropper. When I get a "flare up" I'll just wash more often and do more intensive DCS. I HTH, it worked for me.

washize

Hi girls!!

I wash and press my hair every week and a half using Redken's Hair Cleaning Creme, Creme of Nature, and Ms. Claroil conditioner. After I wash I put a dab of CHI and press. I oil my hair once with Shikakai Oil. My hair gets dandruff after a couple of days, and I have tried everything!! I have tried dandruff shampoos, tee-tree oil, lemon juice...you name it, I have tried it. My hair starts to itch within three days, and the dandruff isn't terrible but it annoys me that after a couple of days I have to wear my hair up all of the time until I wash my hair again.

I don't believe in washing my hair too much, especially when I press it all of the time. I am looking for remedies on how to keep dandruff at bay once it is washed. What products can I use? My mom presses her hair as well, but she doesn't get dandruff at all, and she doesn't use anything special...she just doesn't oil her hair at all once it's pressed. I've tried that, but it makes the problem worse.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks! ~Pet

I used peppermint oil and grape seed oil on my scalp once a week and I no longer have a major Dandruff issue like I used too. Make sure to dilute the peppermint oil in the grapeseed oil. You can get these oils from GNC.

WhoIAm

I am natural now, but I used Mizani scalp care pre-treatment when I was relaxed (my dandruff seemed to be caused by the relaxers). I'm hesitant to recommend this only because it's a little pricey and I think it only comes in one size. But it worked really well for me back then.

Also, the next time you wash, try using bottled / distilled water and see if that makes a difference. You may have hard water.